kinda silly... but how do I know they actually love me... not just want food from me!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex&Bun

Reaction score
I love all my furry babies to death but sometimes I wonder if they actually love me! :(

I know Willoughby must be slightly fond of me as he will let me pat him ocasionally and runs circles around me and will sniff me etc.

But our new bun Daphne doesn't really seem to like me all that much at all :( im being very patient with her and she seems to be getting a bit friendlier!

Am I being silly? how do I know if they love me??

That's quite a hard question to answer really.

Rabbits can take a long time to establish trust and bonding with a human- being prey animals they are, of course, going to natural cautious of a huge looming being etc.

Signs of love can be licking, grooming sessions between human and bun (some cheeky bunnies, mentioning no names Benji!, will lick you for a few seconds and then demand it is their turn by shoving their head under your hand and expecting a 20 minute groom :p ), following around the house (just be careful- I've managed to almost trip over Ben n Pip many times when I hadn't realised they are walking literally right behind my feet as I've walked to the kitchen etc., and I've stepped back, leapt into the air to try and avoid them, and almost come crashing down on my chin :grumpy:). Binkying when they see you (especially in the mornings its adorable :D), obviously shws their happiness to see you etc. etc.

Some rabbits, however, are not particularly affectionate in their actions, but it doesn't mean they don't have feelings towards you. Rabbits are very subtle creatures, so even just a quick nose can mean ' i love you!'.

I would visit Flashy's post in the Library:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33921&forum_id=48

It's very helpful and should probably answer all your questions

Jen :D

It can take a very very long time to establish trust with a bunny. My first boy took at least 6 months to enjoy being petted and letting me snuggle with him. He still won't let me pick him up.

I've had my new bunny for less than a week and she lets me pet her sometimes, but she's still quite nervous and I wouldn't say she actually trusts me.

It just takes a long time! And every bunny shows love in a different way. Some will never like pets, but that doesn't mean they don't love you and want to be near you.

Sometimes it's also hard with unfixed bunnies. Males can be affectionate while unfixed, but many females get mean/aggressive/territorial when the hormones kick in. It can be pretty disheartening when your little girl is trying to bite you, but it can be easily fixed with spaying.

My Flemish is pretty affectionate, I think. He is neutered and I have had him since he was 6 months old (he's now about 2 years).

He licks us some, but mostly likes to cuddle and be petted. If I am sitting in the floor, he will come up beside me as close as possible and hide his head under a leg or foot (or whatever) and lay down flat on the floor (back legs kicked out and all!). I love how he is - it's very cute! If you ignore him, he will wait a minute or two and either sit back up and nip ever so slightly or will go on his way.

He also does this thing with my boyfriend we call "playing," although I don't really know if he is or not lol Andrew will run his hand in a zig-zag pattern in front of Luca and Luca will chase his hand. If he "catches" Andrew's hand, Luca will bite it very lightly (never leaves a mark) or will kind of sit on his hand.

A rabbit is definitely much more of a bonded pet than I would have ever thought possible. Luca is my first house bunny, and I know for a fact that I will never be without another house bun if I have anything to say about it! ;)

Bex&Bun wrote:
I love all my furry babies to death but sometimes I wonder if they actually love me! :(

I know Willoughby must be slightly fond of me as he will let me pat him ocasionally and runs circles around me and will sniff me etc.

But our new bun Daphne doesn't really seem to like me all that much at all :( im being very patient with her and she seems to be getting a bit friendlier!

Am I being silly? how do I know if they love me??
aside from some variables,,fixed,etc.-if we don,t push it,-we usually know,--my cottontail-still thinks its funny to bite,-arm,leg,feet--,then give me kisses on the nose,--he will be 4 yr.old 4-14-10,,easter baby..sincerely james waller....our house rabbit does that circle thing--which means we are the objects of desire/love maybe..eith way i love it...sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::biggrin2::pinkbouce:

Back