kinda OT - National Animal Identification System - please read & oppose (sign petition)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppinHerdofHares

Reaction score

Check this out. You can sign the petition at this page:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/369063795#body

Help Stop the USDA from Taking Away Our Livestock and Our Pets Poultrykeepers and small farmers are facing a serious threat from a proposedgovernment intrusion in to their pastimes and way of life. For quite awhile now, the USDA has been working with the very largest scale animalindustry organizations ( for example, The National Pork Producers,Monsanto Company, and Cargill Meat) to develop a mandatory "NationalAnimal Identification System" (NAIS).

Most small scale livestock producers, people who raise animals forthier own food, and people who keep horses and livestock as companionanimals do not know about this. The NAIS will drive small producers outof the market, will force people to stop raising animls for thier ownfood, and will invade our privacy to an extreme degree. It will violatethe religios freedoms of Americans whose beliefs make it impossible forthem to comply, and will destroy the last vestiges of animal welfarefrom the production of animals for food.

On April 25, 2005,the USDA released "Draft Program Standards" and a"Draft Strategic Plan" concerning the NAIS. If you think thedescription below to bizzare to be true, please go to usda.gov/nais andread the Standards and Plan and check the citations for yourself.

By January 1, 2008, the NAIS will be mandatory.(Plan,pp. 2,10,17) Everyperson who owns even one horse, cow ,pig, chicken, sheep, pidgeon, orvirtually any livestock animal, will be forced to register thier home,including the owners name, address and phone number, and keyed toGlobal Positioning System coordinates for satellite monitoring in agiant federal database under a 7-digit "premises id number." St., pp.

3-4, 10-12; Plan, p.5)

Every animal wil be assigned a 15 digit I.D. number, also to be kept ina federal database. The id will likely be a tag or microchip containinga Radio Frequency Device, designed to be read from a distance. (Plan,p.10; St.,pp.6,12,20,27-28.) The plan may include collecting the DNA ofevery animal and /or a retinal scan.

The owner will be required to report the birthdate of every animal, theapplication of every animal's id tag, every time an animal enters orleaves the property, every time an animal loses a tag,every time a tagis replaced, the slaughter or death of an animal, if any animal ismissing. These events must be reported within 24 hours.

Third parties, like veterinarians, will be required to report"sightings" of animals. For example, if you have a vet on your propertyto treat a sick animal, and the vet sees any animal without themandatory 15-digit computer readable id, the vet will be required toreport you.

If you do not comply, the USDA will exorcise "enforcement" against you.

The USDA hasn't specified the nature of "enforcement" as of yet, but itwill probably include fines and/or seizing your animals. There are noexeptions-unde this plan you will be forced to register an report evenif you raise animlas only for your own food or keep horses for draft ortransportation.

What you can do:

Small scale keepers of poultry and other livestock can take action tocreate an effective movement in opposition to the USDA plan. First,small scale livestock owners should not participate in any "voluntary"

state or federal program to register farms or animals. The USDA ismaking farmers willingness to participate in a "voluntary" program as ajustification for making the program mandatory. ( See Plan, "ExecutiveSummary" and pp.7-8) Small farmers and livestock owners can also helpto inform and organize others. The USDA presently does not plan tofinalize it's rules for mandatory id until the summer of 2006. There isstill time to make your voice heard. Please, sign this petion and letthe USDA know we will not stand for having our right, freedoms, andpersonal privacy taken away. Thank you.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/369063795#body

If this means that all Rabbit Breeders, andPuppy Mills, etc. will have to be Registered, I am all forit!! The only people that have to fear this are those thataren't doing "the right thing" by their animals.

I am rescinding my comments. I don't think this is the place for political debate.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention though. Thisissue is of interest to me and I will definately look at your petition.

Oh, man, talk about a small world! I am theauthor of this petiton! I apologize for the spelling mistakes, thistook about three hours of researching and typing it all up, and I wasgetting a little cross eyed by the end, LOL. Thanks, HHH, for yourinterest in the petition, and for bringing it to other's attention.That being said, I aggree this isn't really the place for politicalissues, so I will say no more.

I certainly agree with you, dm. It is goodthat animals will now be kept track of. Maybe it will make it harder tosell them on the black market and abuse/neglect them.

dootsmom wrote:
If this means that allRabbit Breeders, and Puppy Mills, etc. will have to be Registered, I amall for it!! The only people that have to fear this are thosethat aren't doing "the right thing" by their animals.

I read the petition but I am still kindaconfused. What are we saying if we sign thepetition? we are for oragainst having the USDA register "pets""livestock" etc?

just trying to make an informed decision.... thanks...

Like Amber, I won't post my own opinions on this(though most of you probably know.) Let us remember that you can't makebroad classifications or cliches to cover ALL operations. There arethose that are run improperly and those that are so clean you can eatoff the floors and care for the animals properly. Just as there arepeople who are law-abiding and those who are seemingly elusive.

We are diary farmers, always have been. It would be a hugeinconvienence to have to register every animal and it is alsounreasonably expensive to pay for those "chips" or "tags", depending onwhat sort they decide to use, in comparison to what the small farmersare paid for their goods. Then again, it would stop some of the illegalwasting in association with livestock. They may be drastic measures ormay not be. . . as of now I will remain impartial on the board.

Kat

I read the petition but I am still kindaconfused. What are we saying if we sign the petition? we are for oragainst having the USDA register "pets" "livestock" etc? just trying tomake an informed decision.... thanks...
i believe if you sign the petition you are saying you are against it.

(i'm keeping my opinions to myself as well. i'm not so sure if thisforum is the proper place for posts like these. just my two cents...)

First I heard of it but it seems like anenormous expense, not only for the animal owners, but also for thetracking and enforcement agency. I could understand theexpense if the purpose was to keep BSE (mad cow) out of the foodchain. But I guess I need to research moretounderstand the issues.

For those of us who would like to research further, do you have any handy links to share?

I keep chickens for free range eggs.If this goesthrough and i have to microchip my chickens and rabbits i cannot affordto microchip 25 rabbits and 25 chickens.Its 35 dollars each.I cantattoo my rabbits but i dont know if thats an acceptable means ofidentification for this.bluebird

bluebird wrote:
If this goes through and i have to microchip my chickens andrabbits i cannot afford to microchip 25 rabbits and 25 chickens.Its 35dollars each.
That is a good point. If it costs $35 for a microchip per animal, thenwhat effect is it going to have on the price of poultry at the store? Icannot afford to go to the grocery store and pay $45-50 for afryer...

Food for thought...

Latest posts

Back