Kids showing buns....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
I have heard of the 4H showing and some sort of youth group in NC for kids showing buns....but I do not know much about it. One link I found I emailed and it came back with that mailer deomon thing ....

I was thinking this might be a good thing for my daughter to get involved with,...she has been showing more interest in buns, has said she wants to learn everything she can about buns...and actually listens when I show or teach her some thing...even simple things about good foods, bad foods...etc...

I actually tried and tried to get her in girl scouts, but no one would ever get back to me....

We don't have a lot of money...so I thought this might really be something we could afford and she would enjoy....

So what kind of things would she need? Would the bun have to have the pedigree thing? etc...thanks!

Whatever you guys can tell me would be great...I will be searching online too...but that hasn't gone well yet...

Thanks in advance..

The first step would be to contact your local 4-H extention office and find a rabbit or general club in your area.

After that you can always go to http://www.ARBA.net (American Rabbit Breeders Assoc.) to look at the different breeds that are out there, and it will also help you find a breeder in your area. Generally every breed has its own club, so that will help you find breeders in your area..
It really isnt needed for the rabbit to have a pedigree if she is showing on the 4-H level, but you will be able to get a good quality rabbit from a breeder versus a pet store. Not to mention if its a good show quality rabbit she could win with it, and lets face it...what kid doesnt love winning:D

~Ginger

I prefer to see 4-H kids get a decent showable pedigreed rabbit (you generally don't need to have the pedigree to show a 4-H rabbit, but rules vary by county).

Contact your local extension office to find out about clubs in your area. Clubs vary quite a bit, so it's a good idea to attend some meetings and check them out.

Pam

Our county doesn't require pedigrees.

Some counties have odd rules - one county near us only allows does as 4-H projects, others require pedigress to encourage the kids to buy quality, purebred stock.

Pam

I worked on getting a young girl into 4 H, horses and rabbits. took us a while to find a good 4H team and a trainer for the horse side, we worked on the rabbit side with help of a few other breeders.

4-H is an excellent organization. You can start your own 4-H group for rabbits, if that's what you want to specialize in. It's really easy, (doesn't cost alot) they give you all the materials you need. You can invite other kids to join your group and keep it as small (or big) as you want. Our local 4-H council has groups as small as 2 kids and as large as 20.

4-H did my kids a world of good growing up!

I am working on it...but the people are not very helpful so far...

Plus...with all going on...things need to break for the moment anyway..

Our 4-h never did rabbits. I wanted to do it but there where not enough people interested to start a group.

I remember someone telling me that their county 4-h judged the rabbits by type, all rabbits where required to be purebred or at least fit the breed type. I thought that was great as much just judge on cleanliness and looks.

You may have to look into a neighboring county, thats what we had to do. 4h is pretty much dead in our county, with the rabbit, chicken and livestock clubs all going belly up. However the next county has a very active 4h, and as long as we were not in any clubs in our county we were free to join clubs in the nearby county. Has worked out well. 4H is awesome, but not all counties run the same quality programs. Shopping around a bit won't hurt.

i havent really heard of 4h having kids who show rabbits. ARBA is very helpful and you can find your areas director. My bet would be to go to a show, look at all the breeds and talk to the breeders.
Talking to the breeders is very useful most of the people I know of are very knowledgeable and have been doing this for years.

(i just asked my bunny lady if she knew anyone from NC and she said garett justice, they do netherland dwarfs?)

You might consider looking into small pet project 4-H groups in your area. Also, you can do a rabbit project in any group. Maybe there's another club she's interested in and she could do the rabbit project book herself.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
You might consider looking into small pet project 4-H groups in your area. Also, you can do a rabbit project in any group. Maybe there's another club she's interested in and she could do the rabbit project book herself.

Pam

I have been unable to get any information so far. No one is responding yet to the emails I have sent out...

I really think being a part of some sort of rabbit club would be very good for my daughter...something she needs...

Latest posts

Back