kidney failure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notany help from me, but we just had to have a foster PTS because of renal failure. I'm not sure how common it is.

Hi,

Kidney failure is not that common. Like every other medical condition, it can happen toany rabbit but the chances of renal failure ina particular individual isn't all that great. It is seen usually in older rabbits or due to scarring from spore sheds in EC rabbits. Is there something going on with your rabbit? A routine blood test caneasily show renal function.

And renal failure is not necessarily an indication of impending doom. We successfully treated oneof our EC (severe case) rabbitsthat was in renal failure for over 2 years. Eventually we did lose him to renal failure but he lived a good life for quite some time after onset. There are numerous established support protocols in supporting the renal system in the event of an issue.

Randy

I don't know how common it ISalthough I had a bun whoI rescued after being starved and dehydrated. His kidneys funtioned normally for about a year and then without warning he went into total renal failure. I think it was from his past abuse.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cfr-rabbits/

this yahoogroup was in our library, however, I don't know if it is still active.
Many rabbits experience renal failure associated with active ecuniculi, so I would guess that the numbers would be high.

I am having vague symptoms with Nibbler. he has gone into stasis a couple of times in the past. It always resolves with sub q fluids and the absence of pellets. He has been losing weight and producing less stool. He has started to go into stasis a couple of times. He is fine if I keep him on fluids, but declines after a couple of days without them. X rays looked normal, we tried to get blood but he was stressing out. I guess I'll have to try getting it again.

Hi, it would be really revealing to see what his blood panels say. You are right- it would be worthwhile attempting to get the blood test done again.

This may not even be renal failure too. Often rabbits will begin to get well again after being hydrated when in stasis. Why he is going into stasis would be cause enough for blood tests. What does he currently eat, and how old is he? I wonder if having a dental checkup would be valuable for this rabbit too. Keep us posted!

I'm not sure how old he is. He was an adult when I got him 3 or 4 years ago. He's had blood work twice. Once before his neuter, and once about a year and a half ago.

He eats tons of hay. Grass, oat and timothy. He gets a large salad every morning and a tiny bit of oxbow timothy pellets at night.

I guess it is the weight loss and the fact that he has been a little quieter that has me thinking kidneys. I am used to cats and dogs, and that seems to be one of the main symptoms with them.

Yes, it sounds like he eats well so there is no reason for a weight loss. I'd look into parasites as well and have a fecal float done at the same time. Sometimes even looking at fecals doesn't tell much, but combined with a blood panel it might. It does sound like his kidneys may be affected. Good luck- I hope the blood panel reveals something for him. Let us know how it goes.

My rabbit with renal faulure developed urine scald from just sittiing in his own urine athough he had plenty of room to move around. he ate a lot, drank a lot and became lethargic and listless , and lost weight fast. The blood panel made the diagnosis.

Stasis was not a factor whatsoever with him

Latest posts

Back