Kiara Isn't Eating...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
Hi all. Kiara, my tort Holland doe, as far asI've seen, hasen't touched her food for two days. I haven't even seenher drink any water- however she might be while I'm not looking. I knowthat we had a stray coon in our barn over the summer, and he JUST NOWmoved out (what a pain in the rear!). He then moved into our dogkennel, and he was stumbling around, acting really weird. Apperently,he was really sick. My dad shot him because he was afraid he had rabiesand might attack our dogs or cats. He got rid of him, and not longafter that, one of our kittens died. Before it died, it showed symptomsof not eating, lethargy, and weight loss. I felt so bad about that...Our pastor's wife told us that to her, it sounded like the kitten haddistemper- so now I ask my question; can rabbits get distemper?

If they can't, please tell me what I should do and everything!!! Idon't want to see this little doe go. She's only about 4 months old,and with great potential. Please help!!!

Kiya

P.S. Sorry for the lllloooonnnngggg explanation.

Do you mean rabies or distemper?They're different. Rabbits can get rabies although it's notthe same as "distemper" which is a separate vaccine and disease forcats from rabies. As far as distemper as I've never heard ofrabbits getting that.

I'd call a vet ASAP and find out what the symptoms for rabbitsare. Even more important, did you get that kitten or theraccoon tested? It's very important to know if there's anoutbreak on your farm, of either rabies or distemper. I'mguessing these are outdoor-only farm cats. If your farm catsaren't vaccinated then you should either get that done or, if more die,consider confining them all and asking a vet/rescue foradvice. If a lot of them contract distemper there'll be a lotof death, and it might be best to euthanize any cats that youcan't/won't try to nurse through it. And you don't want themto spread the disease further.

Here's more info on distemper:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/distemper.html
http://www.starbreezes.com/11/fdistemper.html

Rabbits can stop eating for all sorts of reasons. Are younursing her at all? Usually by 24 hours they don't starteating by themselves easily. You should be checking for gasand treating with baby gas meds, syringe feeding pellet mush, givingNutri-cal, and preferably consulting with a vet if not taking herin. Check here for more info:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11918&forum_id=10

Why why I be nursing the rabbit? She's 4 monthsold. She's been eating on her own for months. Except for now. She's noteating a bite.

I know that rabies and distemper are two different things. My dad"thought" the coon had rabies. But we're not sure. He got rid of theracoon's body, and we've buried the kitten.And I don't evenknow if it was distemper the kitten had. I'm clueless!

The one thing I have tosay is my rabbit isn't eating (she'snotdrinking all that much either, mind you), and I need toknow what to do. If she's still not eating by tomorrow, I'll call thevet ASAP.

I mean nursing her back to health.

Like I said, after 24 hours it can be very difficult for a rabbit withGI stasis (which she has, although the cause is unknown) to come out ofit on her own. Give her baby gas meds (simethicone) in caseshe's having gas issues and mush up some pellets for her and feed it toher with a feeding syringe. I buy mine in the pharmaceuticalsection of Walmart. They're made to give medicine to illbabies. You can also get Nutri-cal and put a little on herpaw so she'll have to lick it off. But really at this pointshe's already in deep need of a vet. Rabbit intestines dependon having a large amount of fiber to move around. When theintestines slow down due to illness, the bunny stops eating, and stasissets in, it's like a double edged sword. She needs food inher intestines to help them to move but she won't eat because she feelsterrible due to her intestines not moving.

Check the stasis link in Rabbit Health References that I gaveyou. This is a really informative article that is from that:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

naturestee wrote:
... after 24 hours it can be very difficult for a rabbitwith GI stasis (which she has, although the cause is unknown) to comeout of it on her own. Give her baby gas meds(simethicone) in case she's havinggas issues

and mush up some pellets for her and feed it to her with a feeding syringe.
(`Jim Note: Be careful not toforceit as it might get into her lungs...go slow & easy...a littleat a time making sure she swallowing,)

You can also get Nutri-cal and put alittle on her paw so she'll have to lick it off.

But really at this point she's already in deep needof a vet. Rabbit intestines depend on havinga large amount of fiber to move around. When the intestinesslow down due to illness, the bunny stops eating, and stasis sets in,it's like a double edged sword. She needs food in herintestines to help them to move but she won't eat because she feelsterrible due to her intestines not moving.

:yeahthat..... I'd suggest a vet visit ASAP.

She needs some fluids, too.
You can syringe somePedialite(Note: Be carefulnot toforce it as it might get into her lungs...go slow& easy...a little at a time making sure sheswallowing,)

`Jim

How's she doing today? Have youstarted treating her at all yet? I'm really worried about herbecause it sounds like you weren't doing anything yet.:?

Is your vet rabbit-savvy?

you really need to start syringe feeding herasap as rabbits guts can stop functioning if they are not kept activeand that is life-threatening. You should be able to get liquid feedfrom the vets or try pellets mixed with water. Try not to make themixture too runny so she doesn't choke on it -had that problem once,and try wrapping her up in a blanket to stop her injuring herself ifshe kicks.

Latest posts

Back