Keeping Wild Baby Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz

Reaction score
On another forum I'm on someone's dog killed a mother rabbit. I think there is 7 babies. They all have their eyes open and they are doing okay. But now this person might be keeping two of them as pets and finding homes for the others.

This is not a good idea... Keeping the wild baby bunnies. I have reasons, like they are WILD but the others are not so strong. Can anyone give me some good reasons why they should not keep them? And what they should do? Apparently there isn't any wildlife place by them.

Thanks!

NO NO NO! Seriously - it's against the law, they are wild and need to be wild and unless there is something preventing their ability to be released back into the wild... they shouldn't do it.

There are serious diseases that wild rabbits can carry as well.

This all coming from someone who has a cottontail and loves her to pieces.

Thank you, Thank you!

I was trying to find something in the Library, but totally missed it.

Thank you both of you!

Hi Boz,

Besides for the illegal reason, you may want to mention that wild baby bunnies are much more stressed than our domestic bunnies. At the wildlife hospital where I work, many of the baby cottontails we get do not make it due to the stress of being handled or kept in captivity for even a short period of time. If this person really has the best interest of these bunnies in mind, they should be brought to an experienced wildlife rehabber or possibly even released to the wild now (if they are old enough... approximately 4 inches in length, eyes open, ears up, little diamond on their head is very slight. Even though they are small, at this age they are independent and not in need of the mom.. they may still hang out in the nest during the day despite being old enough to be on their own) It is highly unlikely if this person decides to keep any of them that they will live beyond a few days.

Here is some info we have posted on the website for our rehab center re: wild cottontails as pets:

We receive " many inquiries from people who have found a wild bunny and would like to raise it at home, and/or keep it as a pet. Please understand that it is not in the best interests of the bunny to do this, nor is it in your own best interests. Wild rabbits are prey animals, consequently, they are easily stressed by being in close contact with humans - they perceive us as predators! Our wildlife rehabilitation clinic does not keep wild rabbits for educational purposes, because they are terrified of humans. Wild cottontail rabbits are not the same species as domestic pet bunnies, and even a wild bunny raised from a baby will not grow up to be tame. Both young and adult rabbits can die simply from the stresses of being handled, being around domestic cats & dogs, hearing loud household noises, etc. For more information, please read our complete set of articles on keeping wild animals as pets."

Perhaps you can encourage the person to adopt a rabbit in need of a home if they really would like to commit to caring for a bunny. :)

Thank you! I said to them that they really need to find a rehab for them. I also said if they wanted a bunny that they should adopt one from a shelter. ;)
I posted the links Claire gave. Could I quote what you just said? I don't think I can say it better myself.

Sorry I didn't make it back over here til now, but you are more than welcome to quote me, and even tell them to contact me!

Like I said, I love my Clover..... and I wouldn't ever give her up but at one time she was going to be released..... her leg just got really bad so we didn't turn her out - it wouldn't have been fair....... she also loves the dog and cats LOL! She was imprinted and we tried NOT to imprint her.

If they are meant to be wild, they should be if they can. There are times that I know Clover would love to be outside..... she looks out the window and I see it. She would just be dinner for some animal tho..... so she gets to play inside and look outside and we do what we can for her - it still breaks my heart sometimes.

Thanks Bo!
Silly Clover. She probably realized she was living the easy life. :p

The person did end up releasing the bunnies. I haven't heard anything since about them though.

I'm glad they were released!

Yeah, I think Clover enjoys being able to ring her bell and get food..... LOL!

Latest posts

Back