Keeping their cool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigs

Reaction score
Since I'm a person of very limited, and tight, financial means I need to look ahead and budget, budget, budget. Looking ahead to summer I'm hunting for the best ways to keep my rabbits cool in all the heat and humidity. My apartment is small, with matching windows, and lacking air conditioning. When the heat of summer is pounding down what is the best way to keep my buns cool and prevent them from getting heat stroke? I'm a huge fan of open windows, but I'm not in a particularly friendly part of town so I can't risk having them wide open during work and night hours, and to be serious, windows don't do much.

Please lavish your rabbit summer savvy onto this thread!:brownbunny

I have heard of Tiles like the one you put on the floor.

Putting them in the freezer then putting them in the buns cage. Like one or two for them to lay on. Not the hole floor just a couple of tiles.

Also frozen water bottle wrapped in a towel. Like I a 2 litter pop bottle. Or it may be smaller my buns are in doors so I have A/C a more experienced member with heat will come along.

Hope this helps
Kat:bunnydance:

2 liter, 1 liter, or any size plastic bottle((just not a milk jug)) filled with water an frozen and covered in a towel is very good. Sometimes they lay touching it, but if anything it lets of cold air around it and will cool down the cage.

Fans, either oscillating((moving)) or directed under the cage. Don't blow them directly on the rabbit, that's bad for them((constantly breathing in dirt/debris)). Lightly misting fans work well above the rabbits.
And if you soak a towel and hang it up in front of the fan, or place an open bucket/bowl/container of ice in front of the fan, it will help cool the air being blown.

If you have a grated litterpan, or something of similar design like a transport cage, you can put ice in the bottom and the bunnies will lay over it.

I have Chinchillas who can die in anything over 72, and I live in Arizona where its about 100 on a good day.

I use "chin chillers" grantie tile pieces that i stick in the freezer then put into my animals cages.

I don't use water bottles as Chinchillas (And rabbits!) can chew on them, I invested in some metal drinking containers (The whole eco freidnly reusable thing) and put them with water and then the freezer.

I also put ice cubes in thier water bottles, or offer them in a bowl.

This is great guys, thanks! Last year my apartment was super hot and I was running around like crazy trying to figure out out to cool my bunny down. The only thing I could find was a website that suggested I fill a sock with rice and freeze it. I didn't want to do that since I knew he would eat the sock, and possibly the rice to.

Isn't putting ice in their water bad? I thought it always had to be room temp

Do granite tile tiles keep the cold longer then ceramics? Would glossy/painted tiles be bad for rabbits? I'm pretty sure I can pick up some slightly damaged tile from a flooring store for super cheep/free and just file any harsh edges. :)

I'm a little worried about the frozen bottle method. With the humidity here, even wrapped in a towel or a sock it will get soggy very quickly. Leaning against something soggy will make it's way through their fur I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back