Keeping Rabbits cool in the summer?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydaw_95

Reaction score
I was wanting to know how did anyone have any good ideas on how to keep rabbit cool in the heat of the summer. I used to use a frozen 2 liter bottle for my pet rabbit, but now that i am breeding holland lops i am looking for a good way to keep all my rabbits cool. I was thinking of using the fans that you put on dog carriers when you transport them. What do yall think about that?

Are you keeping them inside or outside?

Ceramic tiles can also be used. Put them in the freezer, then give to the buns.

If you can, let them out in a shady area. The cool dirt can be nice for them. You could also put a bin of cool dirt in the cage if you wanted to.

Shade is a must. Air circulation (a fan) is also good, especially if they are inside an area that doesn't get much circulation. I would be cautious of using a fan directly on the rabbits. They should be able to get away from the fan if they want to.

If you are keeping them inside the house, keep the temperature low. In the summer you probably don't even need to turn it on. If you have A/C, use that, but don't make it too cold.

They need to have fresh water. You could give some ice cubes for them to play with.

I have 10" and 18" square ceramic tiles that I keep in my freezer. (Got them on clearence at a Home Improvement store! Really cheap!) They get put in all the cages around noon, as it starts to get warm (especially if the forcast is for over 85 degrees F.) The tiles tend to stay cool for a few hours. If it's going to be over 90 degrees F, I will use the frozen water bottles too, especially for the Flemish. They don't handle the heat well. (I have fans in the aisles to keep the air moving, as well as a fan near the roof peak blowing hot air OUT. I do not let the fans blow directly on the rabbits.)

Latest posts

Back