Keeping it Outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaffleTheif

New Bunny Addict
Reaction score
Once I get my rabbit, which will be in at least a month, I will be putting it outside. I live in the country, with coyotes and weasels and bears (Pftttt. I don't think they'll come close to the house.) For you people who live in the country and keep your rabbits outside, how do you keep them safe?

I also have a dog and cats that might want to get to the rabbit. I suggested to my mom that we cover it with a blanket at night, but she said that the animals can still scratch at it's cage and hiss and stuff, and they can scare it to death. Is this true? I don't want to frighten my poor guy so bad that he gets a heart attack. Can you help me? I need to figure out how to keep him safe!

Thanks!
Waffle

It is true that a rabbit can die of fright/stress alone. If you're going to be keeping your bunny outside, I actually recommend a hutch that is raised off of the ground (you can still have a run attached that is on the ground) as I feel a lot safer knowing that Bandit is raised up that little bit. That way, if a cat or a fox happens to come along, there is a chance that Bandit will be less scared because he's raised up higher and therefore the fox won't look quite so huge and threatening (who knows if it actually makes a difference, but it makes me feel better, lol). Also, if a hutch is raised up, it's harder for a cat or fox to try to open it up, because they can't just pull on/scratch at it, they have to raise themselves up to do anything to it.

Basically, the key features are (for me at least) Have the main part of the hutch raised up, it's needs a section that's completely enclosed for your rabbit to hide away, it needs a roof to protect it from rain/weather/sun (though it should also be in the shade as well if possible). The wire used needs to be secured well, and be strong enough to resist the pressure of bunnies from inside and anything that (hopefully won't but) may try to get in from the outside. The stuff you need is aviary mesh (not chicken mesh, it's much too flimsy), I can't remember what size the grids on my hutch are, but they're small enough that a paw can't go through. If you have any doors on the sides, they need to be secured well so that a predator can't simply open it by accidentally knocking a latch. My hutch actually has a hinged roof in two sections, I still like to weigh them down because the one side with mesh roof is reasonably lightweight and by weighing it down I'm preventing a cat or fox from squeezing a paw or nose into it and pushing it open with their body.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Also, if your rabbit hutch is going to have an attached run that they're going to have a lot of access too, you'll want to put wire mesh on the bottom to both stop your rabbit digging out but also to stop predators from digging their way in :)

Last edited:
Good advice given. It is totally true that a rabbit can die or seriously injure itself due to stress or being scared. With that said you need to be extra careful in choosing the type of enclosure for your rabbit. An enclosed hiding spot would definitely be a good idea as a retreat. Also keep in mind the type of wiring or wall you will have on the enclosure an make sure it's strong and sturdy

:pink iris:Thanks you two!
I will only put a temporary cage that I get from Stockmans until I save up enough to build my own hutch, with the help of my sister and I could possibly ask some older friends to help. I was planning on putting the cage on a raised surface, possibly a table if I can get it outside, lol. I will add the things you said, Azerane, to my list of "musts" to build the hutch. I will figure something out to make sure he doesn't get scared too death whilst in a cage.

~Waffle

Edit: Could we put a box with a small opening in the cage? I'll make sure to cut off a section in the hutch for him to feel safe in.

Last edited:
If coyotes can get to where he'll be, putting the cage up on a table won't be sufficient. The coyote could knock it off quite easily. If he's going to be in a cage, I'd be looking at some sort of strong barrier between where he'll be and everywhere else. If he's only going into a cage and not a hutch, can you have the cage in your room, at least at night?

Sure. I could probably put the cage in my room on some nights, maybe all. I can't have it there in the day - Dad and sister are severely allergic. I'm sure I can get my mom to let me keep him inside at night sometimes.

If youre in an area with that much wildlife, you will need a very seriously secure outdoor setup.
Here are some old threads with some photos of other peoples outdoor hutches.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/proper-outdoor-housing-12878/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/outdoor-rabbit-hutch-40550/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/millies-fantastic-new-outdoor-setup-47282/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/chicken-coop-hen-house;jsessionid=10225F3918E989158EC125BAE410BD97

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/new-pet-cabin-54758/
Something like this is probably the best option in your scenario. You could purchase a pre-fab shed from Home depot or somewhere, and put the cage and free time in there.

The rabbit will need a sufficient secure area to be away from the elements and away from predators and feel safe. More then a little box can provide. As well you will need to be able to ensure the rabbit can not dig out, and nothing can dig in. Nothing should be able to get its paws or feet on their cage (from the outside) and it needs to be able to handle the weight of a large animal if something is brave enough to jump on top of the cage. And it also gets quite cold where you are in the winter, will the rabbit have enough warmth and freedom from drafts outside in the winter?

I don't live in the country, (not directly in the city either) but still the sub urbs... I think! And we get coyotes trotting up the road now and then, the racoons come right to peoples houses all the time, often will sit at their patio doors and expect to be let in for food (thank goodness not at our house, but some neighbours...)! Bears think its pretty neat to just march around like its nobodys business. If you're serving up their dinner in a cage, you better believe they will come right to your house looking for it, then try their hardest to get it out. Ive seen a few posts on here with people who had outdoor bunns that when they went to check on them one morning, the wire on their hutch was peeled back by some animal and a bunny or 2 was missing. And don't assume predators only come out at night....

I think you left a lot of this information out in your first post, The more and more it goes here, honestly its seeming less likely that getting a rabbit is a good idea in your current situation. Having a garden shed to keep it safe is probably the best option for weather and predators :)

Oh, I'm not assuming that predators only come out at night, just, more often at night. I didn't think of putting him in the shed! We have one, (actually two) and I could put him in it! I'm determined to figure out a way to get a rabbit - even if it kills me!

~Waffle

The only reason I don't like suggesting sheds is that they can get extremely hot on the inside in summer. The lady I bought Bandit from had her breeding set up in the shed, but the shed was air conditioned and had air circulating with fans. I'm not sure what summer temperatures get to where you live, but it's something to keep in mind when planning such a thing.

Latest posts

Back