Keeping it in the cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perez28

Reaction score
Want a bunny but I heard about one of the ways that they releive themselfs by emitting these pill which I've been told are small hard odorless fecies regardless though I would like to keep these pills in my cage so is this possible in the cage isn't a huge deal so any tips

My Peppy for the most part poops only in his cage and mostly in the litterbox in his cage. That being said all buns like to mark their territory with scattered little 'pills'. They are very easy to clean up but he does tend to go on our bed.

Hi Perez,

I moved this thread to a more appropriate forum. You should getmore responses here.

Yes, many rabbits keep their poops in their cages. Others will still leave the occasional poop on the floor. They're easy enough to clean up, just use a tissue or the vacuum cleaner. ;)

Mostneutered rabbits will have better litter habits than intact rabbits (though intact rabbits can certainly be litter trained!), so if you're concerned about litter habits, get your rabbit neutered (or better yet, get an already-neutered rabbit from a shelter/rescue!).

Hope that helps!

Rue

Every rabbit is an individual so it is hard to tell. I have heard of people having that problem but I also know many people who snuggle their buns in bed with no problem. I fall into the second camp of people. When Rebecca has to go she excuses herself, hops down, and goes to her box.

qith time and nuetering/spaying he could have good litterbox habits. depends on every rabbit though. my holland misses a couple now and then but always pees in the box. my english lop i dont think cares but hes still a teen.
on the other hand my 2yo flemish will run around the whole apartment and hold it till back to his litter box in his cage, he poops and pees on one side so he can sleep on the other. he is very neat and tidy

Getting them spayed or neutered is the key to the best letterbox habits. An occasional poop on the floor is not a big deal as they are dry and basically odorless

Gosh I hope so I so want one and I want to convince my parents by confidently telling them that I can and will keep my bunny tidy and healthy they are mostly worried that it will poop all over my floor hope I can convince them different they told me to get all the info I can then they will think about it So that's what I'm Doing

Both of mine keep all of their pills in the cage. I have a plastic pet store type cage that contains the litter boxes and 95% stay within that cage. I probably pick up 5-10 pills per day that end up in the pen area of their cage. Neither of my buns has ever left poop in my living room or other areas of the house that aren't their own. I think they're pretty typical. My girl has peed on things a few times to mark her territory, mostly when we first got her, but otherwise is good - she never had "accidents", only a little pee on purpose ;-) My boy has never done anything outside of his litter box in the two years I've had him.

I didn't "train" either of them - just put down a litter box, set the cage up correctly (no bedding on the floor of the cage), and they figured it out.

Wow nice to know alot of bunnies have good habits so i was planning on a super pet large rabbit cage and I would use wood stove pellets in the box that's what I uses for my ferrets so should I leave the bottom bare and provide a folded blanket for a bed

I know this isn't what you asked, but I wanted to say that I think the super pet large cage is too small for a rabbit. A minimum size should be 2'x4' - that's the size of the biggest super pet cage (the giant I think?). My second rabbit was kept in the large cage and it was really too small for her. With rabbits, more room is better to avoid bad habits - the more room they have to expend energy, the less they'll chew on bars, dig, etc.

To answer your question, you would just put litter in the box and then you can leave the floor bare or put down fleece or something. When the bunny is new you'll probably want to leave it bare to help litter training, but you can add a blanket in once you know the bunny won't pee on it.

I'd save my money and build a NIC cage or pen. Much cheaper than buying a storebought cage and you can putless slippery flooringdown. Plus you can customize the design to fit your space so much better!

Gus's NIC cage:

11037_371799915505_779545505_10143186_7823872_n.jpg

Gus in his NIC pen:

167580_10150403895740506_779545505_17082064_5346073_n.jpg

They are SO easy to build, my kidswere even helping me! You just need a base (plywood covered with sticky tiles works well, but some people use Coroplast), the panels, zip ties, and a couple carabiner clips.

For the supplies for both the cage AND the pen, I paid what most stores want for a cage. And he's got SO much more space.

Hope that helps!

Rue

That is a really neat looking cage is there like a website were I could figure out how to build something like that I know it sounds stupid but I'm new to this my other worry is if I put new bun in a big cage will he look at the whole thing like a toilet

Latest posts

Back