Keeping Bun in cage during family vacation?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
We're going away for a week in a couple of months and have a family member staying at our house during that time. Our Bun lives in a cage on our covered porch (our weather is 60-70* year-round, and she HATES to be inside), but she is "free-range" in our small, fenced yard during the day when we're home (we are in the yard with her 80% of the time).

She has so much fun outside digging holes, eating grass, binkying and flopping next to us and hates it when it's time to go back into the cage for the night. Sometimes I have to pick her up and put her back in (and she rings her bell incessantly to get back out! :biggrin2:

Anyway, my family member is worried about catching the Bun to get her back into her cage at night. I'm thinking we should keep her in the cage for a week, but boy will she be HOPPING MAD!!

I'm worried that her cage isn't big enough. Here's a pic of her stretched out in it:
1299095938.jpg

She does have a potty attached that she uses (that's where the hole leads) and behind her feet there's her hay bin and pellet/veggie dish. She does have a small shelf she can hop onto as well.

I'm considering getting a triple-decker cage my neighbor has for her chinchilla, but it's $200! Not sure if it's worth it or not, for a week of being caged.

So, does she have enough room to live there for a week? Can you think of any other options? I hate to do it, but I'd also hate to have her get hurt from someone not used to bunnies trying to pick her up.

A week should be okay in the cage. Besides if the family member isn't used to picking up bunnies then it is a good idea.

When you get back you could let her out the entire day and night a few times. Is she in an area that predators cannot get to her at all at night?

Can she hop in and out of her cage herself? If so, I'd spend the next couple months, training her to hop in when you want her to. We've done this with Gus simply by feeding him every time hegoes in his cage. Now 99% of the time he comes when you call him and hops right in. If he decides to be difficult, luring him with a treat does the trick.

We've never had a problem getting him into his cage.

Hope that helps!

Rue

She can hop in and out of the cage on her own, but sometimes is a stinker and refuses to do so, even when lured with treats. We only feed her in the cage, but she eats grass, leaves and my plants all day so there's little incentive for the cage.

Unfortunately we do have coyotes and raccoons here so I can't leave her out at night.

With the family member being inexperienced, I would think it's safer in the cage, even if it gets you to receive the butt long after your return :pCan you maybe attach a playpen to the cage and leave her cage door open so she can go in and out on her own? That way, she'd be indoors but not confined to her cage only and it would expand the cage space since it's small. You could always find a use for the playpen after too. It might make the petsitter more comfy as well.:)

In that case, it's probably better that she not have run of the yard. I like the other member's suggestions to get an X-pen (or you can build one out of NIC panels) and attach it to her cage (or enclose her cage inside it.) This way she can get some more exercise while your housesitter can feel confident about letting her out of her cage.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back