Kaytee Rainbow Exact?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoragrl

Reaction score
One of the women from my local HRS, suggested that if I wanted to try a different type of food, I might try Kaytee rainbow exact. The pellets in this food don't really look at all like the other foods. Does anyone have experience with this one? Is it a good food?

Ingredients
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Oats, Soy Hulls, Ground Wheat, Soybean Meal, Dried Cane Molassses, Salt, Soy Oil, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract (source of protease), Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Artificial Color, Natural and Artificial Flavor

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)............14.0%
Crude Fat (min.)....................3.0%
Crude Fiber (min.)................16.0%
Crude Fiber (max.)...............20.0%
Moisture (max.)....................12.0%
Calcium (min.).......................0.4%
Calcium (max.)......................0.6%
Phosphorus (min.)..................0.35%
Salt (min.).............................0.25%
Salt (max.)............................0.75%

I wouldn't feed alfalfa pellets after 6 months but that's just me.

I should have looked at the bag more closely. I didn't realize they even were alfalfa pellets. That might be part of the reason she suggested them though. Since Henri is an English angora, it is suggested that he get some alfalfa in his diet on a normal basis even after full grown. For the extra protien I guess? I know it is because angoras will throw their extra energy to the prduction of wool to the detrement of everything else if they don't get enough. We were talking about how to handle that with my pair being together. Do you think it would be a good compromise to mix 1/2 this and 1/2 my normal timothy pellets?

Hmm...didn't think about that. I just thought of size wise. I guess we shall wait and see what the others have to say.

This seems to be a lower quality food. I wouldn't reccommend feeding this pellet. Does this pellet have all the dried colored pieces in it?

If I remember correctly, "wooly" breeds should have a higher amount of fiber in their diet. Oxbow makes a high quality Timothy based pellet. Quite a few people on this forum feed Kaytee Timothy Complete, but I will never feed that food because I think Kaytee is very low quality and makes a lot of "unhealthy junk" for people to buy for their animals.

undergunfire wrote:
This seems to be a lower quality food. I wouldn't reccommend feeding this pellet. Does this pellet have all the dried colored pieces in it?

If I remember correctly, "wooly" breeds should have a higher amount of fiber in their diet. Oxbow makes a high quality Timothy based pellet. Quite a few people on this forum feed Kaytee Timothy Complete, but I will never feed that food because I think Kaytee is very low quality and makes a lot of "unhealthy junk" for people to buy for their animals.

Yep, you're right, it's the fiber, not the protein. I haven't really checked out any place except for Petsmart when it comes to rabbit pellets. I will have to check out some of the smaller stores and feed stores around here. My petsmart usually only has in the Kaytee pellets.

Yeah they are the rainbow colored pellets which is what made me wonder about them myself.

Yep, definitely do not feed this food if it has the colored junk it in :). Checking feed stores and asking them if they could order in Oxbow Timothy based pellets for you might be worth a shot. A lot of feeds out there are Alfalfa based, not many places have Timothy based pellets.

You can also order Oxbow online: www.oxbowhay.com . It can be expensive, but if you order 50 pounds at a time, then it is more "reasonable".

Which reminds me, I need to order Oxbow today :baghead.

I personally don't find anything wrong with Kaytee's pellets. I feed my flemmies Kaytee Supreme. Alfalfa based, but they're only 3 months old so it's ok. My older 2 are hay and veggies only, no pellets.

If your store carrier Kaytee, they should carry Kaytee Timothy Complete, which is the best pellet made by Kaytee. If they dont have it in stock you can ask them to order it for you.

Or, if they carry Oxbow products, you can always check to see if they can order you Oxbow Bunny Basics. My Pet Supplies Plus orders me a 50# bag for only 35.00

Haley wrote:
If your store carrier Kaytee, they should carry Kaytee Timothy Complete, which is the best pellet made by Kaytee. If they dont have it in stock you can ask them to order it for you.

Or, if they carry Oxbow products, you can always check to see if they can order you Oxbow Bunny Basics. My Pet Supplies Plus orders me a 50# bag for only 35.00
The Timothy complete is what I have been feeding. I was just looking at this as a possible way to add some alfalfa into their diet for Henri. I will look into a higher fiber timothy based pellet.

I have nothing against Kaytee, however, at least the products imported in Greece are not of high nutritional value, they are, basically, multi-color junk I wouldn't buy. However, "Rainbow Exact" is not imported here, so I must state I've never used or seenit.

Reading the guaranteed analysis, as posted by Okiron, I must say that the fat is way too much (fat must be 1-1.5% MAX.). When you see fibre in this "intelligent-marketing" way of putting, i.e. "min/max", note thatusually the reality lies with the "min" part, so 16% is not impressing... Protein and calciumseems ok (compared with other products).

Marietta

Isn't it an extruded rather than pelleted feed? I can't quite remember, but I think that's why it's all strange and colourful looking.

It's the only kaytee feed I've ever seen for sale here, and it's not even that great, but still better than the other pellet brands here going by the nutritional info posted above.

NZminilops wrote:
Isn't it an extruded rather than pelleted feed? I can't quite remember, but I think that's why it's all strange and colourful looking.

It's the only kaytee feed I've ever seen for sale here, and it's not even that great, but still better than the other pellet brands here going by the nutritional info posted above.
Yep, it is, although I really don't know what that means.

I have quite a few issues with Kaytee, that is why I chose to never buy any of their food or products.

It's a "rat person" thing, but I have the same feelings towards their products for rabbits.

Just a personal preference, I think there are better opions out there.

Back