kaytee kay-kob

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenlittle586

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been trying to find those wood pellets for my rabbits litter boxes but i just can't find them ANYWHERE! it's driving me nuts. Also i'm in a money situation right now and the petsmart near me sells the kaytee kaykob bedding/litter in 40 lb bad sizes and i was just wondering if anyone hasused it for their buns litter box and what they think of it and whether you would reccomend it........or not. Any answer asap would be great because i'm sick of using shredded paper because the odor control is basically non existant............my home smells like bunny pee! i guess i can leave the windows open since it's warming up?

Hi Chickenlittle, is the kaykob made from corn? If so we used that on our guys when we first got them and I must say they ended up eaying alot of it and gainingweight. We had to stop using it. We now use apen bedding and have no problems with odor.

Susan and the Gang:bunnydance::apollo::bunny19:bunnyheart

Thanks for the reply! Even though your rabbits ate it........how was the odor control? Yes, it is made from crushed corn. If the odor control worked well, maybe i'll try it and if my buns decide to make it into a snack then i'll just have to go for the aspen! Thanks again for your reply!

The odor control was good. Maybe you can put hay in the litter box so they eat that instead of the litter.

Susan:bunnydance:

Corn cob bedding doesn't do much for odor. I used it with my rats for a little while and they stunk....and they were just rats....bunny pee would smell worse, I would think.

If the corn cob was your only option, then you could use it at the bottom of the litter pan and cut plastic canvas (for needle point, Ithink) to fit the bottom of the box....that way they can't get to the bedding to eat it. You can find the canvas at Walmart in the craft section...someone may chime in and be able to tell you exactly what it is.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Thanks. Well, i think i will give the kaytee stuff a try and do what you suggested. I hope it works out for me! If not then i'm sure i'll find what works for my buns and me eventually. Also..........I LOVE walmart.....they have A LOT of items there that you can use for your buns and they're safe too...and cheaper! That's always a good thing :)

If you see any signs of the bun eating the corn cob bedding, be sure to do away with the bedding.

:)

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

I tried corn cob litter and whenever I cleaned the litter box there was still liquid urine in there. It stained the bottom of the litter box. I switched to aspen and it definitely absorbs the urine and controls the odor. Plus my rabbits don't eat it.

I would truly recommend finding a wood pellet litter, or using something like CareFresh (and adding vanilla to the bun's water) instead of taking the chance with the corncob bedding.

My girls eat more at night, so though you may not see her eating it,she could be consuming a lot of it during the night, and you might just not see it happening.

In my opinion, best not to add things to a bun's house that are potentially fatal if consumed (like this bedding).

Please, please (for your bun's health) find an alternative.

Just worried about your baby...:)

Love and hugs!

Rosie & the Herd :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Chickenlittle586 wrote:
Hey everyone. I've been trying to find those wood pellets for my rabbits litter boxes but i just can't find them ANYWHERE! it's driving me nuts.
I'd steer clear of the corn cob litter.
Not only will it make for a chubby bunnie if they eat it, but some buns have problems with the carbs and sugars that corn contains.....which can lead to GI problems.

Also, with summer approaching, the urine odor will tend to attract flies....a whole nuther problem. Open the windows and you may have flies getting in.

There's a couple of Tractor Supply Company stores by you, but they're both about 20 miles...... New Haven and/or Washington.
They usually carry Woody Pet or a similar brand of wood pellet litter/bedding.
You could give them a call to see what they have.

NEW HAVEN#341
57155 Gratiot Avenue-NEW HAVEN, MI48048
(586) 749-6162

ROMEO#526
66030 VAN DYKE RD-WASHINGTON, MI48095-2013
(586) 752-5781

I drive about 30 minutes to get mine. I stock up with as much as my little car will carry and then store the bags in the garage on a pallet.

~Jim

hey, when you go to petsmart if you want wood pellets take a look in the bird section in the bedding area. i needed some emergency litter because i had nothing left so i went to petsmart and got kaytee wood pellets.

good luck!

Thank you very much for all of your advice! I have caught two of my buns deciding to make a snack out of the corn stuff, so i will be ditching that VERY soon. JimD thank you very much for the locations of those companies. How much would the pellets be that you get for your buns?

Chickenlittle586 wrote:
JimD thank you very much for the locations of those companies. How much would the pellets be that you get for your buns?
You're very welcome!! :)

I use Woody Pet. It comes in 30 pound bags and costs me $5.00.

Make sure you call those TSC store before you go. Not all of them carry the wood pellets....and if they do they may carry a different brand.
Here's a partial list of some of the brands they might have:
ABM (Advanced Bedding Management)
Dragon Mountain
Dry Den
Dry Stall
Equi-Litter
EquineFresh
Equine Pine
ExquisiCat Pine Litter
Feline Pine
Gentle Touch Products
Guardian Horse Bedding
J.P. McCrumb Woodshavings
Kaytee (can be a bit pricey)
Kentucky Komfort
Lone Star Bedding
Magnum Horse Products
Norstar Pellet Bedding
Pine Stall Horse Bedding
Pinnacle Pine Horse Bedding
Southern States Premium Pellet Bedding
Woody Pet
Agway (their own brand)

.... and the link to the thread
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15881&forum_id=1

~Jim

I used "Yesterday's News" and I love it. I only have to change it about once a week. I ran out and used Carefresh. It did not keep the odor down AT ALL. I walked in my house and it reaked of rabbit pee! I went and bought some more Yesterday's News and now there is no more smell!

Latest posts

Back