Kaytee Healthy Toppings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Do any of you buy the Kaytee Healthy Toppings? They have many different varieties and they are pretty cheap. I got the carrot and sweet potato variety for Cocoa, I sprinkle it on top of his food once a week. He loves it! The only ingredients are Dehydrated Carrots and Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes - so I figure it can't be too bad for him! But I guess it's more of a treat than something he should get everyday.

healthytoppingsvl2.jpg

Pretty much, but it's a good treat! I used to feed Erik carrots, but unfortunately he got overweight...yeah. He's on a diet now.

Honestly, none of those treat bags are good for the buns:(. Carrot and sweet potatoes are okay, but they also havea somewhat content of sugar.

Not like their veggies and occassional craisen. It's just all commercial crap, really. I don't recommend any of it;). Most of those are just too high in sugar and nothing else:shock:.

A few oats are another wonderful treat that mine loooove:D.

Well, carrots are essentially a big glucose ball. :D

NZminilops wrote:
Hmm, I don't see that they would be too bad as a once a week thing, can't be any worse than craisens, right?
Right, like once or twice a week, exactly. That's fine. I was just concerned if it was an all the time treat, like everyday;). The bun would start to gain weight at that point of that every day for say a couple/few weeks.

I don't feed Kaytee products because of a cancer causing preservative that they use. I also don't buy anything of the Kaytee or Marshall brand.

My dudes are happy with a flake of Total Brand cereal or a cheerio (okay, maybe a few more than one, shhh) as a nightly treat :p.

I don't think we have anything made by kaytee here except some bags of wood shavings, so I'm glad about that after just reading what you said Amy! :shock:

When I got my first bunny, I used to by treats for her all the time. Now I realise that things like what AngelnSnuffy and undergunfire suggested are much better, and also much cheaper, and they love those things as much, if not more.

(P.S, I keep wanting to read Brodys' name as Mrody, Amy! :p)

NZminilops wrote:
I don't think we have anything made by kaytee here except some bags of wood shavings, so I'm glad about that after just reading what you said Amy! :shock:

(P.S, I keep wanting to read Brodys' name as Mrody, Amy! :p)

The chemical that is preserved in ALL Kaytee food brands is ethoxyquin. I have heard of most rats developing cancer sooner in life when being fed Kaytee food seed mixes (which seed mixes are horrible for rats in the first place). Overall, I wouldn't even feed WILD birds Kaytee bird seed mixes that are specifically made for "wild birds", that is how crappy Kaytee is.

Don't worry...I call Brody....Toady Brody. I like Turdy Trody because he poops sooooo much.

:p

Oh, I agree about Kaytee. I was just talking about the ethoxyquin. :)

Great, I also get him Kaytee timothy complete food. I didn't know anything was wrong with Kaytee stuff, it's always available at the pet shops I visit and I know others on here use it.

:huh

I wouldn't worry about the ethoxyquin. Ivory's link is to an EPA document where it mentions that the cancer risk from ethoxyquin is so low it doesn't even pay to worry about it. Besides, no company is perfect. Oxbow uses Methionine which may also cause problems. Either way, chemicals in the food, you know?

The only Kaytee pellets that I don't think are crud are the Timothy Complete ones. Everythings is worthless, better to go to a feed store to get higher quality and save money.

Ethoxyquin is a danger for ratties, because their WHOLE lives are pilled into a mear 1 1/2 to 3 (maybe 4) years. So fatty foods and bad diets cause so much more danger to them.

I, personally, would not feed any Kaytee products. You can get a much higher quality pellet/treat for a better price without all the worries.

undergunfire wrote:
Ethoxyquin is a danger for ratties, because their WHOLE lives are pilled into a mear 1 1/2 to 3 (maybe 4) years. So fatty foods and bad diets cause so much more danger to them.

I, personally, would not feed any Kaytee products. You can get a much higher quality pellet/treat for a better price without all the worries.

KAYTEE CAUSES CANCER? I feed Kaytee complete....

Phinnsmommy wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

KAYTEE CAUSES CANCER? I feed Kaytee complete....

OMG!!!!! It didn't think it was that bad!!! We feed our buns katyee yogurt chips!! And our buns LOVE them, I can't imagin life with out them. It's one of the few things I can bribe our bunnies with!!! They are absolutly bonkers about them!!

213CST5M0GL._AA160_.jpg

Guys,

Read the link I posted.

I think Kaytee food, with the exception of Timothy Complete, is complete junk. The treats are just typical treats, like anything else. Really aren't great but aren't any worse than anything else.

But it doesn't cause cancer.

So let's chill and be happy with good information. :)

Yep, Ivory is right :).

I didn't mean to cause a scene here :p! For my own reasons, I will not feed any Kaytee products, more so because of how it effects rats with their short life spans.

Many, many, many people feed Kaytee Complete to their rabbits and Guinea Pigs...without any problems at all. I only wish Kaytee wouldn't be so careless about the food that they put out for rats, mice, gerbils, and other rodents. That is one reason why I do not support them. They give you a false belief that their rodent food is acutally healthy for them, in which it is not. This is the same reason why I do not shop at pet stores and buy foods/treats there.

It is just my own personal preference, that is all. I prefer to go the healthier way with my animals and more "natural" way. I am a strong believer of feeding your pets the best diet out there, regardless of how hard/expensive it is to get.

So, with that said.....Kaytee Complete is an okay food for your rabbits. I just chose to not support such companies :p.

Latest posts

Back