Kava Kava

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanleysmommy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using Kava Kava on their bunny before?
We're thinking about getting it for Stanley so maybe we'll be effectivein clipping his nails. Just wondering if anybody has used it, and hadany good experience.

What is Kava Kava? I never heard of it.

P.S. This is about bunnies, how come its in OffTopic? I think you might get more responses if its in theregular bunny forum.

Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't thinking when I posted.

I can't find the link for it, but Kava Kava is used as a calmer foryour rabbit but said isn't a sedative. I was hoping it was safe.

The link m.e. posted is correct in what I've found.
We've tried different ways for Stanley, and in searching we found theKava Kava medicine, so thought we'd give that a try. What do ya'llthink?

Kava is actually not very good for the bodyaccording to recent studies in humans. Liver damage results inlong-term use of the kava root. I believe the consumption of kava isillegal in Germany.

I'm not sure how safe it would be to use on a rabbit, but as always, talk to your vet and do research.

Well, we don't have a vet, so....

we are looking for one, or for some rescue to take him to and get hisnails clipped. We're really worried that his feet hurt because they'vegotten too long.

http://www.petmedicinechest.com/rabbit/showrabbits.asp

I've got the 1 oz of Calm supplement and just add it to the rabbitswater when traveling to overnightshows. It goes a long awayas you only use a few drops each time you use it. I always have atleast one rabbit each overnight show that goes spastic on me as in ontheir hind feet and wanting to bite. So I just add a tiny bit to theirwater and mission completed to a more mellow rabbit. When you buy thebottle it tells you how much to add to the water.

I'm afraid I don't know a thing about Kava Kava in bunnies, but I just thought I'd throw this idea out there:

make nail clipping time enjoyable, or at least bearable, byhaving some of the involved bun's favorite food on hand, clip one nail,give food, clip another nail or two, give food, ETC. Hopefully the bunwill connect the vent of clipping nails with getting their favoritefood, and not turn into a little monster every time they see theclippers come out.

P.S. Moved to rabbits only forum :)

:yeahthat

I usually just give one treat at the end, which definately makes themless pouty. None of my rabbits like having their nailsclipped and they fuss about it. It helps a lot if one personcan hold the bun and the other cut, or you could wrap Stanley in abunny burrito (wrapped in a towel) and clip one paw at atime. A good pair of clippers helps a lot too.Don't use the ones sold in pet stores for rabbits- the little scissorstype. Get one of the better types of small dogclippers. They cut easier and more smoothly. I hadthe scissors type bunny one and it compressed and broke the nail morethan cut it, even when it was brand new. Mocha was notimpressed.:?

I'm not a fan of sedating rabbits for normal grooming, but I have heardthat Bach's Rescue Remedy helps with stressed out/traumatisedrabbits.

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue_remedy.htm

Thanks for the link, Dwarf Angel. I would feel better using something someone has before for their rabbit.

I can't touch his nails at all to even try the food method. If I try toclip his nails, he would just try to bite me, or he runs away. Prettymuch our only hope left is to get him to mellow down with something. Iwouldn't have thought of it before, and I wouldn't sedate him, we'djust like to calm him whenever we'll clip his nails.

We have tried the bunny burrito, but that doesn't work because we can'tcatch him and when we do, he struggles so much we feel like we'll breakhis back.
Holding him doesn't work, because if you try to do that he runs away, and grunts and is just not happy.

Frankly, we're scared of him. :baghead It's embarassing, but...

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours? Like online or a drug store?

But just now Stanley was letting me pet him and I pulled his paw outfrom under him and, still petting his head, I was looking at his paw,and petting it and he was perfectly fine with it.

After, I gave him a cheerio and oats for being so good.
I'm so happy he was nice about it today. Maybe he'll learn that if he's good like that he'll get rewarded for it. :)

Latest posts

Back