Kara has a lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandoliver

Reaction score
Kara is a Netherland Dwarf, 8 years old. She eats Purina Show Health for rabbits. Just so you know. But I picked her up today and noticed a bump next to her front left leg. It is under the skin it feels like. In diameter it is smaller than a dime but I haven't noticed it before today. I moved it around and it moves so it isn't connected to anything I don't think. She didn't react when I moved it and touched it, she just sat there as usual. Wondering what it could possibly be and if I should just take her to the vet to get it checked out?

I don't have alot of experience with lumps and bumps, but what I would suggest is taking her to the vet and have them do an fna (Fine Needle Aspirate) Basically, the poke the bump, get some cells and take a look on the miscroscope to see what it could be.

I second the aspirate. A vet should be able to see what kind of lump it is or get a good idea of it. Sometimes they have to send off aspirates to be sure but it sounds like it should be seen. Lumps in old animals can be serious or just apart of old age. In the mean time make sure to keep track if there are any more and if it ever changes in size

Last edited:
I just discovered something similar on the left side of my rabbit's stomach. I haven't tried to move it around because I think it hurts him when I touch it, but it's hard to tell. I thought I'd leave it alone just in case. He is a 5 year old male holland lop who isn't neutered.

Of course, I found it during a blizzard, so it may be hard to get to the vet right away. I don't know much about rabbit health, so I was wondering if it is urgent and I should try to get him into the vet right away anyway or if it can wait a few days.

For sebecgirl, you definitely want the vet to check it out soon, I'd say within a few weeks, especially since it's causing pain and may be connected to the underlying tissue. Those are more likely to be a problem.

For Paige, I hope you get lucky and it's just an adipose deposit or cyst. I have a nethie about that age as well.

Back