Kali's not looking so good... again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, my mom called the vet today, and they were only able to schedual us in for Monday, but they said that they did have a doctor who specialized in rabbits, so I'll give you the update on Monday.

Ok, my mom brought her in to the Eau Claire vet yesterday, and she said that the vet seemed pretty knowledgeable. The vet examined her and said sheseemed perfectly healthy besides the eye. She said that she thinks that the eye is most likely a leftover from the last issue and that the previous vet didn't give us a large enough dose to totaly abolish the issue. So the vet gave us more Baytril, though this time we get to give it to her orally. We're to give it to her for 30 days, and if the problem still persits we're to come back, because she said it diden't seem to be serious but if this doesn't cure her she could have something really bad.

She also said she thinks the skin irrations were also from the injuections, but she wasn't really concerned by it.

I don't think oral baytril is going to do it. I really think she needs a head x-ray to determine why her eye is bulging, whether it is an abscess, a tooth root issue, or an eye issue (least likely of the 3). I think that if the baytril were going to work, it would have already worked, as I assume you had at least a 2 week course of it, right? Oral baytril is not as strong as injected. I will try to be positive, however. It seems like you're having a very hard time getting quality vet care, as the first thing I think should be done is a head x-ray. I'm sorry, I don't want to make you upset, but it bothers me that the vets you're seeing aren't willing to spend the time to correctly diagnose the problem and treat it with real antibiotics.

tonyshuman wrote:
I don't think oral baytril is going to do it. I really think she needs a head x-ray to determine why her eye is bulging, whether it is an abscess, a tooth root issue, or an eye issue (least likely of the 3). I think that if the baytril were going to work, it would have already worked, as I assume you had at least a 2 week course of it, right? Oral baytril is not as strong as injected. I will try to be positive, however. It seems like you're having a very hard time getting quality vet care, as the first thing I think should be done is a head x-ray. I'm sorry, I don't want to make you upset, but it bothers me that the vets you're seeing aren't willing to spend the time to correctly diagnose the problem and treat it with real antibiotics.

AKKKK!!!:nerves1
If she gets better on oral baytril it will be a miracle at best.
I know that you are doing your best but it doesn't sound to me that this vet is very rabbit knowledeable although most of them think they are.

She could have an abscess behind her eye, cherry eye etc.
The vet gave no diagnosis other than the infection spread..

well if the infection spread while on injectble baytril it will only be worse on oral baytril
I hate to be so 'gloom and doom" TK but this doesn't sound like much of a treatment plan to me.
Shen needs to be diagnosed and if the infection has spread to her eye ; she needs strong antibiotics like zithromax, chloramphenical , bicillin, Convenia anything other than the same old same old.

With no x-rays or exams of her eye you really didn' find out what it was....

Is here eye protruding anymore? Is she any worse. ?

I'm sorry to be so negative about it hon :(

Latest posts

Back