just wonderingg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vona

Reaction score
Im not really concerned about my bun just wondering why she does this one certain thing so often. I dont like the little run we made Pepper outside i dont feel its safe enough. so i walk her around outside on her harness and run around with her freely as she pleases (while still holding the leash of course, i get in some exercise myself :p) anyways shell run run run and then just stop and completely flatten out and either lay there for a little while or just start munchin on clovers and such. Is she tired or did she see something that may have scared her? orr what?

If she's laying flat but looking tense with her head pinned to the ground like she's trying to hide, then she's probably scared, but if she looks pretty relaxed and her head is up looking around or even with her head laying on the ground but in a more relaxed way, then she's most likely hot from running around and is just resting and trying to cool off. If she's munching on anything then she's most likely not scared. When rabbits are really scared, they won't eat.

I didnt think she seemed scared. When she does it she looks pretty relaxed... Ive never seen her actually get scared yet. shes really not afraid of much at all.

alrighty soo figureing this all out on my phone isnt easy at all so ill try and ask on here, is it possible to get your bun to respond to there name? ive heard it is but ive had Pepper for about 3 months now and she doesnt respond when i call her name. ive tryed just repeating myself often and i tryed saying it and if she looks rewarding her but nothing seems to be working :\ any suggestions???

It's definitely possible for rabbits to learn a number of words, including their name.

I adopted two bunnies at once and taught them their names at meal time and treat time. I would say "this is for Harvey" and "this is for Halo" and give them the food as I said their name. I also say their names a lot when I'm petting them, etc. They know the names of foods they like, they know "treat" (of course), and they will run when they hear those words but they will also come when they hear their names. They also know each other's names. When I call one, the other will sit and look around for the one I'm calling:) If Halo doesn't come quickly, Harvey will go looking for her.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by using her name and rewarding her...just may take a little more time. Good luck!

well im glad im on the right track! and thats so cute :) the more i learn about bunnies the more awesome they become. im excited i hope we make some progress soon!.......what kind of bunnies do you have? also about how long did it take for your bunnies to learn all that? if you dont mind me asking.

You are absolutely on the right track and thank you for asking about Harvey and Halo. I love to write about them:)

It's true, Vona, rabbits are amazing. When I got my first bunny, I had no idea how intelligent, loving and sensitive they were. I've been in awe ever since and they teach me something new everyday. In my experience, they really try hard to understand and please us:)

Harvey and Halo were adopted from a shelter, so I'm not sure exactly what their breed is but they are very small, American mixes. Harvey, I think, is a dwarf mix. Both are brown agouti colored.

They learned the word "treat" in about one day;) It took them several weeks to start responding to their names. It definitely helped to call their names at meal times. I also talk to them a lot in a very quiet voice and say their names a lot throughout the day.

I think every bunny is different so, if it takes longer for your bunny to begin responding, I wouldn't worry. I also think they may learn to respond to other things you say to them. My first bunny, Scout, was my soul mate and I always greeted her with "there's that bunny I love so much." I think she thought that was her name. She wouldn't always come when I called "Scout" but she always came when I said "Where's that bunny I love so much?"

I also have noticed that Harvey seems to know the word "rabbit." I was on the floor with him one day when he first came and I happened to say "You are a rabbit and your name is Harvey." He really perked up when I said "rabbit", so I made up a little story about rabbits being the best creatures on earth--the smartest, the softest, the gentlest, the fastest, the funniest, the sweetest, the most sensitive and perceptive, etc.--and that for a long time most people didn't understand. I said that rabbits like Harvey were teaching human beings to know how important and wonderful rabbits are. As I told the story, I used the word "rabbit" over and over and Harvey seemed fascinated. So I tell him that story every night and he sits very still and looks at me intently. He seems to love it:)

:brownbunny:heartbeat::brownbunny

Mine know human words too! I ask Humma, "are you hungry?". And he runs to me, dancing around my feet. When I come home I always ask the bunnies,". How are the wabbits in the wabbitat?". Faith binkies, and Freckles climbs the walls. Rabbits are so funny.

Katherine that is such a cute story :biggrin:

Thank you, April and Jennifer! Harvey has turned out to be a really smart, tender, touching little man although he tries to look tough;)

April--I love that your bunnies binky and climb the walls when you say "How are the wabbits in the wabitat?" They absolutely know those words!

Vona--just thought of one more phrase all my bunnies have learned quickly. "It's OK". When they startle at noises, I say "It's OK". Eventually, they look at me when they hear a noise that worries them and, if I say "It's OK", they relax and don't run. If I don't say "It's OK", they high-tail it;)
(Just realized that's probably where the expression "high-tail it" comes from.)

awwh! thats awesome! they are such smart animals :) im sitting here now letting her walk away and calling her back for a treat, shes making progress im so excited! your bunnies sound adorable!!!

Latest posts

Back