Just wondering whats the difference between 5% white vinegar and 10% white vinegar

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry just wondering whats the difference between 5% white vinegar (other than lower concentrations)and 10% white vinegar is one better than the other for cleaning bunny enclosure.

Thank You,
Jolie

From what I just researched, it would be the 10% white vinegar (better for cleaning) Now, the difference is the strength of it in my understanding. Cleaning vinegar would be 6% and higher. Cooking vinegar is 5%

Link to info -
https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/cleaning-vinegar
I'm really not entirely sure on this. I'm sure others will be able to tell you, but I'm thinking go with 10% for a better cleaning job!

Best wishes and take care,
~ Remy the Rabbit

It is a measure of strength. It is an expression of grams per liter. The strength of the vinegar determines the effectiveness for an application. For simple dissolution of fats and such a weaker solution woud be appropriate. For disinfectant properties the pH makes a differentce, needing at a pH of 4 or lower. When you dilute vinegar you raise its pH. A vinegar of 5% may have a pH as low as 2.4 for distilled white to as high as 3.5 for apple cider. Most vinegar cleaning solution recipes don't mention pH thinking people can't afford a $30 meter of $3 test strips. Vinegar of 10% becomes 5% when you double the volume with water. The pH will raise accordingly but not by simple math like the strength.

The 5% standard is used for home recipes because, as a "standard", dilutions can be done by volume to achieve a desired pH.

Latest posts

Back