Just venting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
If you've read just about any of my other posts, you know that I have a seriously shy bunny who is afraid of just about everything. I've had them for 5 months, and Whidbey still doesn't trust me (he actually took a treat from my hand - through the cage wires... for the first time today).

Well the other day, my brother/sister in law came over.

The bunnies were being unusually bold and were in their x-pen instead of hiding in their cage. At one point, Whidbey (maybe Gunston too, I don't remember) was in the cardboard tunnel they have in their x-pen. And, my BIL went over and taped the cardboard hard enough to make both bunnies panic and run into the back of their cage.

I didn't say anything, because I'm really bad at confrontation, especially when it involves my husband's family. But I'm really upset about it :( I've been working so hard to get them to trust me. I just don't get why he would do that.

People are stupid. Especially if he doesn't know anything about rabbits.
The next time they come over, I would make sure that your rabbits are put up in their cage and tell you BIL not to mess with them. Tell him that they're really shy and they don't like strangers much, so just to leave them be. Heck, put a little sign on their cage saying don't mess with the rabbits.

You don't have to be confrontational, just be honest. They are your pets and they're in your house. Your BIL is a guest in your home and should respect the boundries you set for your pets. Hopefully, he won't mess with them again. Good luck!

Ugh what a jerk. I would've smacked him, but then I'm the violent type lol.

Next time just say "How would you like if you were surrounded by strange people that are much bigger than you who do things to scare you? you wouldn't, so don't do it to my rabbits."

i would say something. when it comes to certain people i try to avoid confrontation even though to be honest im a person who can be very in your face and blunt. but if anyone ever does anything to my babies that scares them or might hurt them i flip. when someone scares charmmy i run to her and make sure shes ok and then i scold the person its just not ok. animals are very sensitive especially if you are having a hard time gettign them to trust you. Miya one of my rats and rats are normally very friendly it took me 4 months (even though i handled her since birth) to get her to trust me and let me carry her aorund and pick her up. and when anyone would reach in and try and grab her id yell at them. and if they even touched her tail. i would nearly throttle them.

being a guest in your house and doing that to your rabbits is just not ok. obviously with you and in general.

I've flat out lied to make sure my pets weren't messed with.

One year, my three male rats and I were home for winter break and my family had a Christmas party. They stay in the craft room in the basement when we're home (finished and heated). I closed that door, but also put a big sign on their cage and the door to "please don't touch the rats. they bite."

Those boys were obnoxiously friendly and only one ever bit me (when he jumped off the exam table at the vet and I cornered him.) I just didn't trust kids to not try to open the door and pick them up and not be careful or try to pick them up by their tails lik in movies.

I'm not suggesting that you tell people they bite, just make sure they understand how extreme the situation is (even if exaggeration is how to get the point accross.

Awww people just don't get it. I also think people just don't know aboutnrabbits or think they are just dumb cage animals so don't even think twice that there is a certain way to act around them.

I'm with Jordan, lie that they bite. ;) i'm already thinking about the holidays this year. I host my husbands family and his niece can be a holy terror. I cringe when I think of her around Agnes :( I'll be in the kitchen cooking and the kids just kinda run all over. Last year she was carrying around my sons goldfish!! They both died two weeks later. I'm still convinced it was her messing with them. Anyway so I think I'm gonna say that about Agnes. PLUS I'm gonna hide her NIC condo in a back room with the door closed so she can't get to her.

UHg, some people....I hope you didnt take any steps backwards with gunston and whidbey. I'm sure they will trust you completely very soon.

I'd be very upset as well. One of my holland lops are very timid, so I know how it is to try everyday to make this rabbit feel comfortable, and then to have someone come in and basically ruin your progress or at least set you back is horrid.

Having a Siberian Husky, I'm a big fan of the dog whisperer, he has a rule for dogs that are anxious or timid, no touch no talk no eye contact. Why don't you make a sign and hang it on your buns cage,
NO TOUCH
NO TALK
NO EYE CONTACT

Unless it is someone who you trust with your bunnies, that way you don't have to confront them.

Latest posts

Back