Just updating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

Reaction score
Sorry I've not posted in so long again. I speedcheck into this site as often as I can because it cheers me up to hearfrom all the familiar people, and see the new posts, but I've had notime to write.I'm hoping that over the next few weeks thingswill be less hectic.

I'm pleased to say the four rabbit siblingsare now fullyhealed from their neutering ops. As my daughter (Happybunny) mentionedinherpost it was a very very stressful post optime. Bunberry was the only one who sailed through it. Tarragon tookthree days to recover and Harebell and Selkie took five and a halfbefore they ate properly. I followed all the advice from the forum andspent alot of time in prayer and they finally bounced back toour great relief. Thanks to all of you who gave advice but particularlyto Gaby for your advice on keeping them warm, I think that knowledgesaved the girls. I'm guessing that none of them (being related)responded well to the anaesthetic and I'm just so glad they all camethrough it. I don't know why Bunberry was ok, his only difference isthat he's black. Because of the stress I'm waiting a while to haveFlopsy done til my nerves have recovered. She's a bigger rabbit anddoesn't seem to have reached maturity so I'm using that as my excusebut the truth is that although I can't see why she should have any ofthe problems the others had I'mstillfeeling verywary at the moment.

Anyway the next step is to bond them intojusttwogroups now that there's no risk of pregnancy. The vet saidthe boys would be 'viable' for up to a month after their op, so I'vewaited because of Flopsy. As soon as Happybunny gets back from herDad's tomorrow night they'll start their proper introductions.

Harebell and Selkie (probably because I spent so much time loving withthem when they were too weak to resist) are much more friendly towardsme and though they still hate being picked up they will at least let mestroke them now. Bunberry got over his brief enjoyment of human companyand has gone back to believing that the only thing people are good foris treats, he seems happy in his own rabbitwaythough.The boys have stopped trying to fight through theircages and they've all stopped spraying which is great. Flopsy remains atruly perfect rabbit, she is such a soft loving sweetie. I'm hopingthatif she bonds with Tarragon she'll give him a few pointers.

Good news is that Happybunny was given a digital camera for Christmasso when she gets back and assuming I can work out the software to getthe photos on the computer we'll finally be able to post pictures ofour beloved bunnies and us too with luck :). It hasn't felt right neverbeing able to post pictures :(

Love

Kate

Thanks for bringing us all up to speed.Three days to a week is not all that unusual for a bun to get back tonormal, almost speedy, actually! I do understand the worry,concern and stress it causes with one neutering, much less with several.

Flopsy will do fine, I am sure, when it is her turn. Will be nice to see pics.

Buck

Hello Kate,

I glad you were able to find some time to post an update for us. I'm so glad to hear that everybun are now doing okay.

I'm guessing that they are all males, right?

Benji is our only male out of 5. He used to have a real bunatude priorto his neutering. It took him about a week to get back up to speed, butthen he slowly started to transform into a really sweet bun. I thinkwith time it will only get better!

Jim

JimD wrote:
...I'm guessing that they are all males, right?....
And I'm guessing you are asking that question because of the use of theterm neutering, eh? They aren't all males, but theterminology has always confused me, too. Laymen, such as we,refer to "spaying" adoe and "neutering" a buck, whereas manyprofessionals use the terminology of an ovariohysterectomy of a femaleand a castration of a male, both of which effectively "neuter" theanimal.

I say "many" professionals because I also have documentation from oneveterinarian that also uses the terminology of spaying and neutering inthe manner we tend to use it. I'm sure which set of terms ismore accurate. I'm not sure the layman's terminology isentirely incorrect, however.

Perhaps some of our resident experts would have the definitive answerregarding this question. Pam is up on most aspects of rabbitmedicine. Gabby is employed in a veterinarian's hospital andour new pet store expert, Cirrustwi may have a take on the topic.

Buck

You guessed right, Buck.

I was also asking because it took a few days more for our Brindle (doe)to recover than it did for Benji (buck). They were both "neutered" onthe same day, but I think it took Brindle longer because of thestitches and invasive procedure.

Jim

I Can answer this one :)!

Ok, Most people use Spay for female, Neuter for male as you said.

Now, if you don't know the sex yet you would say neuter. Ifyou have a group of mixed sexes you would say Neuter. Allfemales would be Spay.

Here is what it's like:

Baby horses= Colts

Baby Horse unknown sex = colt

Baby male horse =Colt

Baby female horse = Filly

Group of baby horses (mixed sex)= Colts

Thanks all of you. I guess I wasn't expectingthem to get back to normal instantly, it was just that they wouldn'teat and hardly drank and there were no poops for days. I was terrifiedof GI stasis more than anything. The girlsjustcrouchedimmobile and cold, Ihad them on hot waterbottles with towels over for a lot of the first two days and every timeI had to leave them and went back to check I was terrified I'd findthem dead.It's good to know though that their recovery timewasn't that unusual, I know I did put myself through it having the fourops in the same week, especially since I had no experience of suchthings. I suppose I'd just expected they'd all be like Bunberry was,not totally themselves, but eating and drinking and pooping within afew hours. Anyway it's all behind me now and I'm sure Flopsy will befine when she's done. It's reassuring to know that a week is ok to getback to normal.

Jim I've got two males, Tarragon and Bunberry, and three females,Harebell, Selkie and Flopsy. The first four were all from the samelitter, and are real crossbreeds, I live in hope that one day they'llcome to love people, but apart from Tarragon I'm not holding my breathabout it. I guess as long as they live with us the aim is just to givethem the happiest life possible. Technically they're all my daughter'srabbits apart from Tarragon who I insisted on rescuing as well becausehe just had too much character for the fate he was headed for. He's theworst behaved of course, so I get a lot of stick for that. They live inmy daughter's room and he creates a lot of havoc as well as takinggreat pleasure in making as much loud noise aspossible,especially first thing in the morning. Flopsy's theloving darling and I'm hoping that if she bonds with Tarragon she'lluse her feminine influence to the good on him, because he's not thatfar off being a people rabbit really.

I'm looking forward to posting pictures as soon as I can, just a couple of days more :)

Love

Kate

We most commonly use the term "neuter" to referto altering males, however the term may also correctly be used whenreferring to altering female animals.

Pam

Dearest Kate,

It's so nice to see your name pop up and to read that everyone/bun arewell. Without your prayers, your love, your dedication, and your nevertiring belief in them, they surely would've died.

Congratulations on saving all of their lives.

It's amazing how you do become closer after the really bad times. Whenmine have gone through them, it breaks your heart because they hate tosee you coming towards them. After a while, when they're better, thereseems to be a greater respect, a deeper love. They really seem to knowthat they can trust you, and you learn that you can syringe feedthem if you have to.

My hat is off to you.

All is well in Tucker Town. I adopted a Flemish Giant. She flew in fromCalifornia to Connecticut. I named her Cali. As Buck Jones says, "She'sAll That." :) Tucker's not too keen on her, but hopefully he'll mellow.

Much Love to you and yours, and here's to a year of Health, Happiness, and Peace.

:)

-Carolyn

It's so lovely to be back posting again, I've really missed it. Thank you Lovabun.

Carolyn, what a lovely message to find waiting for me. It's true I dofeel even closer to them having been through the great fear of them notsurviving, and the girls are friendlier than they were before, as Isaid they let me stroke them now which used to be impossible, so goodhas come of it in the long run :D.

I'm glad all's well in Tucker Town, I did follow your adoption of Caliand saw the pictures of her, she is such a beauty, I hope Tucker comesto realise it too and his attitude softens towards her. I love hislatest avatar photo, he is such a regal, handsome boy and obviouslyenjoying his party :dude:.

Much love and best wishes to you and your household too :D,

Kate

Back