Just thought I'd share..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolfec

Reaction score
Well, after recently finding out that my Pippy is a BOY (surprise!) I figured I better get him neutered and then I can say that my two boys are officially bonded.

I'm taking him to a new vet that two of my friends took their boy buns to and had no problems, so I am less nervous. However, over the phone I asked if they gave pain meds, and they said not to rabbits. So I called back a few days after to see if I could pay extra for them or administer them myself, and they said they'd do it during surgery and only charge nominally more. I hope that's alright though! They were very unspecific about what pain meds (didn't mention Metacam) and just said they'd make sure he got some... :?

I hope what I asked for doesn't make my bun's recovery worse! Big Bunny did just fine without any pain meds, but that was before I knew to ask. Oh I hope he'll be ok.

I'm taking them both in the same carrier, and once Pippy wakes up from the surgery and is checked out, they'll put him back in the carrier with Bunny! I know that will make his recovery quicker with the emotional support of his pal. But now I'm nervous because Bunny will be spending most of the day scared in his carrier. They're gonna be exhausted. Well, this is nothing compared to what they are gonna have to endure when they fly on a plane for 20+ hours! This should be a piece of cake...

Perhaps ask about a dose or two of metacam to go home with? The males it generally is not as huge of a deal, but it is still good to give it to them the first two days. They normally give a long acting injection that will take care of pain relief until the next day.

So Pip (and Bunny) are home from the vet. They want me to call and let them know how he's doing in 2 days, and then they want to see him in a week or so, even though he doesn't need stitches removed. I loved the vibe from this vet's office. It was so much better than when I took Bunny to get snipped (he went to a different place which I will never go back to).

They said the surgery went fine. They gave him Valium to get him to relax... :?

He's been home for an hour and is still SO groggy. The only thing that makes me nervous is he has peed on himself and his little back legs don't want to work. I hope I'm just freaking out and there's nothing the matter with him.

I don't know if it is the same with dogs, but when my dog got his teeth removed they knocked him out and ended up giving him all kinds of stuff like valium and he couldn't walk right for a few days.. He was running into walls and stuff so he usually just laid and I had to pick him up and take him outside to pee. I know that dogs are different than rabbits, but I know with my dog it was nothing to worry about.

Sorry I can't help. :/

Good luck to you and your bun! :pray: :hug2:

When Indianna Bunns had to have surgery for abcess I know they gave him valium before as well. It helps to reduce their stress and prevent them from fighting the mask with the anesthetic gas.

It can take a while to leave the system and buns can act weird the first couple days.

I would just clean him up with an unscented baby wipe and keep an eye on him.

Latest posts

Back