just started biting the little box and moving it

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola13

Reaction score
so zentor has been really good for a couple months, but this past week he started biting his litter box and moving it around his cage. he starts chewing on the plastic and i have to get up and move his box back and tell him to stop chewing it. but then he just goes back and does it. he does this a little with his food bowl then its empty, but that i just take out of his cage when hes done. but the litter box i cant just take out. Now mind you he has tons of hay and lots of toys to chew on. he hasnt done this untill the past week and i'd really like to know if there is something i can do to get him to stop. I'm concidering rearrangeing his cage. maybe putting his box in a different corner... do you all think this might help? thanks.

OH and on a side note he is 1 year old. his birthday was 5/16. :]

-alora

Many bunnies wake up one day and decide they love the taste of plastic. :D
At the rabbit rescue I volunteer with a few of the bunnies have metal litter boxes because they chew big holes in plastic ones. To keep my bunnies from moving their litter boxes around the cage I use a big cooler clamp (pictured below). I bought it at a local farm supply store. Amber chews on the edging of the litter box as well, even though she has plenty other things to chew on. I find that her desire to chew on it comes in waves, not sure why. I have yet to find a way to get her to stop.

TSLT720108_73903

Yeah thats a really good idea to clamp it down. Maybe I should get a metal litter box, or maybe i should get a new plastic one? maybe he likes the one he has too much. I feel like he cant help but chew on it. its only in the mornings though so thats weird. hmm, what to do.

Rabbits tend to be more active in the morning. May be that is why you find he moves his litter box more at that time. My rabbits have big cages with boxes and tons of toys. Sometimes I will come home from work and they will have moved everything. It is like they are bored and decided they want their cage how they want it and everything is moved. However if he is making a mess with the litter box I would do what Erika said and get clamps. Or if you can poke holes through the litter box and zip tie it to the cage, I think that would work too. The litter boxes I have have are cheap thin plastic ones so it would be easy to poke holes through them. You can even buy ones that attach to the cages. You can also buy food dishes that attach to the cage.

Latest posts

Back