just some questions about keeping a single rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mika77

Reaction score
Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on something. This is a bit of a distant future thing but I do like to have things planed out when it comes to the pets. So right now I have three bonded bunnies that live in my basement, the basement is only half underground and has a large window so its a nice place and the computer is here and my kids play area. So things are fine for the bunnies at the moment. However in probably 4 years or so will have to change things. Our bedrooms are small and my younger son has a very tiny room (people have larger walk in closets), so I am planing to renovate the basement and make a room for my older son so that my younger can have his room. The problem is where to put the bunnies. I can't make the tiny bedroom into a bunny room because I need a room for when my husband's parents come to visit. So anyway, as long as I have the three bunnies that I already have I will manage things some how (my one bunny is older so possibly he wont be around when i need to move them). But what I am thinking is that in the future I would want just one bunny that could be a free range bunny and live mostly in the living-room. I have had a single bunny before, she was a tiny Netherlander dwarf (mix?) and she was not really a "people" bunny. When I first got her it was hard to even touch her, but I did spend a lot of time with her and over the years she became bonded to me and would even sit in my lap. The bunnies I have now are very cute but they show very little interest in people and are happy with just each other, which is nice to know that they are happy but I do wish that they would want to interact with us more. I do feel a bit guilty with the thought of keeping just one bunny but I do know that some of you have single bunnies that are very bonded to people. So first thing I am wondering is, will the one remaining bunny out of the bonded three (once that happens) be okay on its own? I would spend a fair bit of time with her so I am hoping that she would adjust to being on her own. The second question is in regards to eventually getting a new bunny, is there a breed/type of bunny that is more likely to bond well to people and be okay with no other bunnies around? All my bunnies have always come from the shelter, except for one who came from someone who was getting rid of him, and next time I will also go to the shelter or a bunny rescue. My husband has always wanted a huge bunny, so are large bunnies generally more people friendly then small ones? I know each bunny is an individual but I know some breeds have some characteristics more often.

I have a lion head lop mix and when I got him from someone giving him away he was very anti social to everyone in the house. The first night we had him he was fine and sat on our laps but after that he wanted nothing to do with anyone and would get terrified if anyone came near him. Today is 2 months having him and now he will come out of his cage and demand pets lol. If I ignore his demands he will nudge, ignore that I get nipped on the toes, ignore that and he pees behind me. I don't have the room for a second bunny to bond with him and he's always been a single bunny I was told so that is what I keep him as, even though I think about getting a second one. He is happy with just us human slaves and binkys every night and through out the day since he is mostly free roam. He has a cage that is "his" but if someone is home the door remains open as long as it's not bed time.
To me a single bunny is perfect for our household and he is happy and spoiled with us.

I have never had a bonded bunny lose its mate so unsure of how that might affect everything but I'm sure someone will come along with more help to that area.

Ziggy sounds like a great bunny, it's good to know that they can be happy on their own. I know there are always exceptions to everything but I think it's easier to keep a bunny bonded to people if they are not bonded to other bunnies.

Some bunnies are better off being alone. My bunny, Wrangler, is one of them.

We tried the whole bonding thing and it didn't work out as planned. I had even adopted another rabbit from the rescue that Wrangler went ondate on, seemed to click with, only for it to end in aggression several months later. It was not a pretty sight. So I took the other bunny back to the rescue - hopefully she has/or will find a good home...she was a pretty and sweet little girl.

Anyway, so Wrangler is living the Bachelor life again and loving it! He loves romping around my room, has all of HIS favorite spots, andHIS own toys. I will never try to bond another rabbit with him again. I just can't deal with that whole process again with him. Maybe somday I'll try having 2 bunnies again, but I am at a place in my life where 1 bunny is all I need.

Now when I first got Wrangler (he is a Netherland Dwarf), he was pretty anti-social. He even bit me once and drew blood when I first brought him home. I've had him for almost 2 years now, and he's my little buddy! He doesn't really socialize with other people though, unless they have treats! When my boyfriend comes over, he stays underneath the bed for the most part (unless he's in his cage eating and going to the bathroom).

Also Wrangler really doesn't like being held. If I lay on the floor though, he'll socialize with me and even climb all over me...he just doesn't like being confined. Now and then though he enjoys the snuggles :)

As for other rabbits that tend to be more social...I've been told that the larger rabbits are more of an interactive breed. So if you do end up getting another rabbit, I would look into a flop or something. But I have to say, the smaller breeds are fun too because they just go crazy sometimes with their binkies! :biggrin:

Hi BrittsBunny, I really like the tinny bunnies, Hoppy was very small and she was soo cute but since my husband would like a large bunny I thought we could try that. I am also afraid of problems with bonding. When I bonded Hoppy and Clover it went really well but then with Lilly it was harder and with Bindi it was really though and they did fight a lot at first, even now Clover and Lilly will chase Bindi and pluck her fur sometimes. The other thing is that I really have too many pets and because of space and money issues I think I would be better to stick with just one bun in the future.

Latest posts

Back