Just put my buns outside....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamnjo

Reaction score
I just put my bunnies outside in their hutch today. I am happy they are outside(no more stinky room, or poo covered floor) but I am worried they won't love me as much anymore.... Both my friends who have rabbits live outside, they seem happy. My bunns are in a hutch in our car port(it's like an garage with only two walls, so there is lots of ventilation, but their hutch is sheltered).

Will my bunns still love me?:brownbunny

Of course they will :)

But you need to realize that when they were inside, they were around the hustle and bustle of a home and family. Now that they're outside, you'll need to make the extra effort to play with them, interact with them, and make sure that they are still being well socialized by people.

*edited to add*

I just noticed your location. Is the weather getting cold where you are? If so, it may not be wise to move your rabbits outside when they have not acclimated to falling temperatures.

They'll still love you, just make sure the quality of care and attention they get doesn't change from when they were inside and they'll still be affectionate, friendly buns.;)

However, I have to echo Emily's thoughts, isn't it already quite cold where you are?:?

I'm curious about something. I have 6 indoor bunnies in different rooms of the house and I must say my house does not smell. I do have the odd poo that they leave for me to pick up, but that's really no big deal (all of mine are litter trained).

I do change their litter box twice a day and since I have started to use the plastic mesh grids (that Petbunny uses) cleaning the litter boxes are much easier.

Susan:apollo:

Also, bunnies need to be gradually introduced to living outside. Their coats need to adjust, especially since it is cold where you live. The best time to switch an indoor rabbit to an outdoor rabbit is in spring, when the temp is about the same as your house.

I will make sure to pay extra attention to my bunns now;)

SOOSKA- They were a little bit litter-trained, but they still stunk. I livewith my parents and if I want to keep my bunnies, they have togo outside. Also, my room wasabove my parents and they were really loud.

Thanks everyone. Ilove themSO much, Ijust want them to love me back.:brownbunny

You bunnies will love you, but lemme tell ya, having outside bunnies is NOT easy.

Once it gets winter, you wont find it fun to go out there when its below zero three times a day just to change their water. And dont even get me started on cleaning. It can happen, I jusy hope you know it wont necessarily be fun or easy.

I have to say, I'm a little concerned if you've only just moved them out.:?

I live in England where the winters are much more mild than over there, and even still my Millie has started growing in her thick winter coat already. If your buns have lived inside until now they wont have started growing in as thick a winter coat because they wont have needed it, therefore they will be too cold outside - especially as it gets colder.

If you really can't keep them inside, please make sure to keep your buns as warm as possible with plenty of shelter and lots of warm bedding!

Don't worry, my bunnies have lots! They are under shelter with a large inclosed box with an opening.

My bunnies used to be outside. So I know all about the water freezing, and cleaning in the rain. But they are under shelter now.:brownbunny

Here is a picture of the hutch my bunnies are in(that was me about two years ago:embarrassed:).

fSDGF002.jpg

But now it's in a different location:brownbunny

Everyone is giving you excellent information! Props to Silvie and Bunnys_Rule :biggrin2:!

I too, am concerned about the hutch being on the groud. Animals can easily get to the hutch and get your babies when it is laying flat on the ground. See if your parents are willing to build it up a few feet...it will only take a little while and won't cost much!

Make sure you fill the hutch with PLENTY of hay for your bunnies to burrow in, as well. When I had outdoor bunnies when I was a little kid, they used to make all sorts of burrows inside of their hutches with hay.

Latest posts

Back