Just neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelcries

Reaction score
Happy just got neutered today. Is there anything I can do to help him recover faster. They told me to just leave him alone for 7-10 days.
And has anyone ever had a rabbit die while being fixed? I was a wreck crying all afternoon when they told me he could die while in surgery. Is there still a chance he could die?
[email protected] Thanks Angel

I know they can die during surgery but I don't think they can afterwards, though sometimes the wounds can get infected (i think) and that could get quite nasty. I'm not very experienced though :)

Whenever you put any animal under anaesthetic, there is a chance that it could have an adverse effect. However, now that the surgery is done and he's come out of it fine, the chances that something will go horribly wrong are minimal (ie. not really any more than the chances of something happening unexpectedly on a normal day).

I've had four lads neutered and have two to go. Bunny's neuter was the only one with a hiccup, and even that only required some antibiotics for a few days.

Honestly, I would think he'll be back to acting like himself in a day or two. Just make sure he doesn't jump around too much in the first few days, and make sure he's not chewing his incision, and he'll be just fine. :)

I've had lots of males neutered and have never seen a problem. I found that by the next morning they are eating and alert and by day 2 they are pretty much 100%. I'd be careful about him jumping on and off of furniture, but wouldn't have a problem letting him out for exercise.

angelcries wrote:
Happy just got neutered today.
I have a feeling he isn't too "happy" at the moment. :p

He should heal up super-quick! Neuters are not that invasive (such as a spay) and buns tend to be back to their normal, but calmer, selves in a few days :) Just give him lots of love and nose rubs! Don't be surprised if you get "the bunny butt" for a few days :p

:bunnybutt:

There's always a risk with anesthesia (though it's not such a common thing) but you can have bloodwork done beforehand to make sure there aren't any increased risks. I don't know if your vet told you that so just saying it. (I also only skimmed through the posts so forgive me if i'm repeating what others said)

As mentionned, neuters are much less invasive than spays. When I had my Bam-Bam, and he got neutered, I was really shocked to see that he was bouncing around all over the place. I had to contain him cause I was worried he'd hurt himself!

One thing that you can do is turn him over and look at the little sacs that the testicles were taken out of. They shouldn't be red and the swelling should be going down. sometimes one side is a little more swollen than the other; sometimes there will be no swelling at all and both sides will look like little shrunken sacs (because that's what it is now)
Is he is eating and drinking normally?

angelcries wrote:
And he even let me hold him for 30 seconds. HA HA thats an improvement for him!!!!
Haha! See? Rabbits are good healers! Maybe he'll be more of a cuddle-bun post-neutering! Toby started being more of an attention-seeker post-neuter. :) I am glad that he is passing through recovery with flying colors!

:bunnyhug:

Latest posts

Back