Just need to have a little moan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
:rant:

I just don't know why I get these things, one on top of the other- whatever's going round, you can bet I'll get it.

I had an ear infection that started about 4 weeks ago (I think) that didn't clear up with ear drops, and eventually got better with antibiotics but never went fully. Then last weekend I came down with cold-like symptoms, but by Sunday they had changed to pains all across my cheeks, the top of my nose, my forehead etc, and by Wednesday it was hurting so badly I was sat in tears. Went to the doctors, and got antibiotics- Doxycycline, but she also warned me that it might be due to a virus and the antibiotics might not clear it up straightaway and I might just have to wait for the virus to go.

Well, that was a week ago and I'm still in so much pain. There's so much pressure in the front of my head, and previously I've had sinus infections where my cheeks etc are just tender to the touch, but my face is actually throbbing with pain without even touching it, and it's making me miserable :(

I'm taking anti-inflammitaries, and mild painkillers, but I have had to take stronger ones a couple of times because it's been so bad. I've got a steam inhalation cup thingy, but that isn't helping. I've been told about a sinus rinsing kit by the doctor I saw, but I've yet to find it in the shops around here and it's not on prescription...

I've also got really red cheeks that have purplish marks on, almost like bruises, except I haven't hurt myself at all lol. Hurts SO much to the touch though :(

I just wanted to rant.... Well done anyone who stuck with me through that!

:rant:

Jen, you know I have sinus problems, so I completely understand how you are feeling.

(((((hugs)))))

What sort of sinus rinse kit was your doctor recommending? I use one made by NeilMed, and I know they are available in the UK. I'm at work, so I can't get the UK site to load, but search for NeilMed, and there is a store locator. Amazon UK also carries it, or at least used to.

Has your doctor looked into what is causing you to have the sinus infections? Since you're having them repeatedly, there is probably an underlying issue. Everyone has the bacteria that causes the infections, but people with recurring infections usually have some reason why the bacteria don't wash out normally.

Do you get frequent colds, or have allergies? Has your doctor done a CT scan to rule out narrow sinus passages or polyps?

OMG SO SORRY!! :hug::hug:

Sounds just like a bad case of a sinus infection. Good luck huni. I have boiling water and Vicks in a pot on the stove, put a towel over my head and breath. It does help me.

BethM wrote:
Jen, you know I have sinus problems, so I completely understand how you are feeling.

(((((hugs)))))

What sort of sinus rinse kit was your doctor recommending? I use one made by NeilMed, and I know they are available in the UK. I'm at work, so I can't get the UK site to load, but search for NeilMed, and there is a store locator. Amazon UK also carries it, or at least used to.

Has your doctor looked into what is causing you to have the sinus infections? Since you're having them repeatedly, there is probably an underlying issue. Everyone has the bacteria that causes the infections, but people with recurring infections usually have some reason why the bacteria don't wash out normally.

Do you get frequent colds, or have allergies? Has your doctor done a CT scan to rule out narrow sinus passages or polyps?

Thanks Beth, I was hoping you'd reply! Since I knew you suffered with sinus problems a lot

It wasn't a 'real' doctor that I saw- someone called a Nurse Practitioner- basically a highly qualified nurse who can write prescritions but isn't actually a doctor- if I'd seen my real doctor I would have asked him why he thought I keep getting these, but given that she felt the need to explain the difference between paracetomol and ibuprofen I figured she wasn't the best to ask!

I don't have colds very often actually- although symptoms start out like a cold, I've had 4 sinus infections and a chest infection this year, but not a cold, only the mild symptoms I had last weekend, and apart from very mild hayfever in the summer occasionally, I don't have any allergies either.

She didn't mention a brand name for the rinsing kit, but she said it was either called Sinurinse or Sinusrinse- she couldn't remember lol. I looked in the appropriate sections of a couple of pharmacies but didn't see anything. I might look on the website for Boots, a large pharmacy chain over here and see if they have anything. I don't particularly like the idea of squirting water up my nose via a tube, but I'll try it at this point!

I haven't had a CT scan either- at least not of my sinuses. I guess I need to go to my doctor and ask why this keeps happening, but I hate going back so often- I have my balance disorder, I had 2 operations last year for an ongoing condition, I'm currently waiting for a colonoscopy for some bowel/stomach problems, and now this! I feel like I go there every other week for some completely different reason lol :(

I'll have a look for the sinus rinsing kit.

Thanks Denise :hug:

Beth, is this the kit you were talking about? It's by neilmed- it's expensive!! It's called SinuRinse though which sounds like what the 'doctor' was telling me about...

http://www.boots.com/en/NeilMed-SinuRinse-Kit_121768/

It says not to use it if you have had an ear infection or have blocked ears though- so I'm not sure if I should try it? My ears are still bothering me- painful, pressure, ringing, hearing randomly cutting out etc. In fact, eating my dinner tonight, chewing was like a crank that kept increasing the pressure in both my ears and my sinuses with every chew :(

Jen, that is the Sinus Rinse kit I use. It is a bit expensive, I checked a currency converter and that's about the same as I paid for it here. The kit, though, comes with the bottle and 60 sachets; after those run out, they should have a box of just 100 sachets/packets, and you use the same bottle; the refill costs me about half of what the kit costs. If you use them as directed, you use one packet for both sides, so they last a long time. (I use one packet per side, but I'm not so consistent about using them.)

There may be other similar options. Some people use a Neti Pot, which just uses gravity. I prefer the bottle, as I can control the pressure and amount of water.

I didn't know about the warning about using it if you have ear issues. Perhaps you should consult with your doctor or nurse practitioner about that. I don't have time now, but I will research that later.

If you do decide to use the rinse, there are a few things you can do to make it less unpleasant. Such as, make the water warm (not hot!), and tilting your head a certain way also helps.
Another option might be to get a prescription for a corticosteroid nasal spray. I use fluticasone spray, it helps to keep my sinus tissues from getting inflamed, and keeps the polyps from growing. I don't know how that would fit in with any other meds you might be taking, though, so you'll have to see your doctor about that.

Personally, I don't think you should feel bad about using the health care resources that are available to you. It doesn't sound like you're going to the doctor for unnecessary things. Plus, if you don't figure out what is causing you to keep having the problems, you'll just keep having them. It's not good to be constantly on antibiotics, not to mention how miserable you feel when you're sick.

You should feel blessed that you are able to see a doctor. (I also need a colonoscopy for some issues I've been having for awhile, but I can't afford it. A co-worker of mine, on the same insurance plan, had one, and was billed $4000 for it, after insurance. I simply can't pay that. But that's a rant for another thread.)

BethM wrote:
Personally, I don't think you should feel bad about using the health care resources that are available to you. It doesn't sound like you're going to the doctor for unnecessary things. Plus, if you don't figure out what is causing you to keep having the problems, you'll just keep having them. It's not good to be constantly on antibiotics, not to mention how miserable you feel when you're sick.

You should feel blessed that you are able to see a doctor. (I also need a colonoscopy for some issues I've been having for awhile, but I can't afford it. A co-worker of mine, on the same insurance plan, had one, and was billed $4000 for it, after insurance. I simply can't pay that. But that's a rant for another thread.)

You're totally right. I never really thought about it that way, but I know that for all the NHS' shortcomings, we are lucky to have the accessible healthcare that we do. I don't ever mean to take it for granted, I just worry I guess - it's a long running joke with my friends/family etc of 'Jen, you're broken! You're always sick!' Etc and I worry that the doctors will see it that way too eventually. I'm sorry to hear that you can't have the tests you need to - $4,000 is a crazy amount of money to pay :(

I read a bit on the internet and some people have said not to use it if you have ear congestion etc - apparently it causes more pressure on the ears. Since my ears are already feeling like they are about to burst, I want to check with my regular GP before I start using it, although if he gives it the all-clear I will definitely be trying it- something has to work!

I'm glad to see that it's the same price over here as it is for you though- usually things are much more expensive over here. I also read that if you use plain water it really burns, but the nurse-practitioner I saw told me that once the sachets ran out I could just use regular water and add a teaspoon of salt to it if I wanted? :?

I think that all things point to me going back to my doctor (and hopefully getting to see him this time!) and seeing what he says about it....

I don't have too much to add here, other than I have sinus problems as well and just tried the Neti Pot today. I was scared at first, but it was so much easier than it looks! My sinuses feel clearer than they've been for a while, so if the doctor says you can, I'd recommend this product also.

The instructions did say to use either distilled or boiled water. I boiled some on the stove and let it cool down to a lukewarm temperature, then added the mixture (sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate). It is a weird sensation to have water up your nose, but not bad at all. I will be using mine again before bed.

Anyhow just wanted to hop in to recommend the neti pot and say that I hope you feel better and can find something that works for you! :hug:

mouse_chalk wrote:
I read a bit on the internet and some people have said not to use it if you have ear congestion etc - apparently it causes more pressure on the ears. Since my ears are already feeling like they are about to burst, I want to check with my regular GP before I start using it, although if he gives it the all-clear I will definitely be trying it- something has to work!

I'm glad to see that it's the same price over here as it is for you though- usually things are much more expensive over here. I also read that if you use plain water it really burns, but the nurse-practitioner I saw told me that once the sachets ran out I could just use regular water and add a teaspoon of salt to it if I wanted? :?

I think that all things point to me going back to my doctor (and hopefully getting to see him this time!) and seeing what he says about it....
Yeah, just check with your doctor to see if it would be ok to use. I would assume that if your nurse practitioner suggested it, it would be ok, but it's best to check with the doc to make sure.

You can make your own solution. I think if you do that it's recommended to either use distilled water, or boil tap water, and add salt and sodium bicarbonate. The sodium bicarbonate helps to buffer the salt, and make it not sting. If I remember correctly, it's also best to use pickling salt. There should be recipes on the internet somewhere. I used to make my own, but when I found the pre-mixed packets I started using them instead. They're measured out for one packet per bottle, and it's really easy to just put one in, and fill with warm water. Making your own does, in the long run, cost less, though.

Also, I didn't mean to go all mom-mode and lecture you about going to the doctor. I'm just jealous of the resources you've got available to you in England.

Little Bay Poo wrote:
I don't have too much to add here, other than I have sinus problems as well and just tried the Neti Pot today. I was scared at first, but it was so much easier than it looks! My sinuses feel clearer than they've been for a while, so if the doctor says you can, I'd recommend this product also.

The instructions did say to use either distilled or boiled water. I boiled some on the stove and let it cool down to a lukewarm temperature, then added the mixture (sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate). It is a weird sensation to have water up your nose, but not bad at all. I will be using mine again before bed.

Anyhow just wanted to hop in to recommend the neti pot and say that I hope you feel better and can find something that works for you! :hug:
It was a little weird to be putting the water up my nose, but after a few times, it doesn't bother me any more. I do also feel tons better after rinsing, it's like all the grime gets washed out.

Also, are you taking an antibiotic? If the pain and stuffiness continue, you may need to get an antibiotic to knock the infection out. Then try to figure out the causes after.

I really hope you start feeling better soon.
:hug:

If the sinus rinsing kit that you speak of is a "neti pot" I just got one and used for the first time tonight!

It worked well, my nose is clear.

I got mine at whole foods.
I'm sure other health food stores would have them as well.

BethM wrote:
Also, are you taking an antibiotic? If the pain and stuffiness continue, you may need to get an antibiotic to knock the infection out. Then try to figure out the causes after.

I really hope you start feeling better soon.
:hug:
Yeah, I've had antibiotics- I just yesterday finished a course of Doxycycline. I'd had a course of that back in August I think and it cleared it up really quickly but it doesn't seem to have touched it this time around. :(

Also, I didn't mean to go all mom-mode and lecture you about going to the doctor. I'm just jealous of the resources you've got available to you in England.
Don't worry about it! You were right- over here it's hard to think of how it must be to need to see a doctor or need medical treatment but not be able to afford it- the most we have to pay for here (aside from dental and opticians etc) is prescriptions, which are a set amount at £7.20 per item of medication. We moan about it here, especially when it goes up by 10 pence each year, but it's a tiny cost compare to what you guys have to pay!

I've heard of the Neti Pot as well, but that might have just been from here! I've not seen it over here anywhere...

I was almost tempted to buy the SinuRinse kit earlier and give it a go anyway, but then I decided that I really really don't want to make my earache any worse if I can help it!

I'm not much better today, but I'm going to a friend's house for a small fireworks display in her garden in a bit- I have barely left the house in 2 weeks and I need to get back into civilisation! :shock:

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, I really appreciate it :hug:

Another thing I've forgotten to mention, is to make sure you drink plenty of fluids. It will really help if you make sure you stay very hydrated. This will help to loosen up the sinus congestion and get things moving.

This is something I particularly have problems with, as I don't register thirst very well. It is common that I start to feel dehydrated, tired and aching joints, before I actually feel thirsty. I'll go a whole day drinking nothing more than a cup of coffee and a can of soda, and wake up the next day with a sinus infection starting.

Latest posts

Back