Just need some advice please (bonding with bun)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyyleax

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to all of this so you are going to have to bare with me, but I have had my bunny for over a year and I'm really just on here to get some advice and ways to help him as he doesn't like being picked up yet and runs away whenever someone goes near him, some of the time he can be very loving and does let us stroke him. He has been like this since day 1 and my mum just keeps telling me that it's because he is still a baby but I am not sure if that is why.

I have tried to research many ways to try and get him to let us get close to him but I can't really find anything. As he doesn't let us pick him up I can't even cut his nails they are extremely long and I don't know if there isn't anything to help, for example, cat scratchers. So I was wondering if you know anything that could help me with both of those things as I just want him to be happy and healthy it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Is he an indoor rabbit? What is his housing situation? Is he neutered?

There are lots of unknowns here, so I'll speak in generalities. As for his age, he's fully adult. By 7 months of age, a rabbit is considered an adult. It is quite common and rather the norm for a rabbit to not like being picked up. Rabbits simply are not the "pick up and hold" type of pet. They do, however, generally like to be pet -- on their terms. That means there are times they won't want to be disturbed at all and times when they would like to be pet. The following link will provide more detailed ideas on how to bond with your rabbit and how to "read" his moods:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
It is important to keep his nails trimmed or it can alter the way a rabbit walks which can put extra stress on his joints. Long nails can also get snagged and then ripped right off. If they are quite long, the quick inside the nail (where the vein is) can grow long with the nail. This means that a very long nail will need to be trimmed a bit at a time so that it doesn't bleed. You could ask how much a vet might charge to trim them for you. OR, some rabbit rescues will trim rabbit nails for a small fee.

I have similar buns but mine are flemish giants.They do not generally want to be picked up and now the only time is if I need to take them out of a carrier.My vet nurses gave me advice on how to carry and pick up and I take them both for nail cutting to the vet practice.I have put different surfaces in the run,sand,concrete slabs so that they can wear them down and they have access to larger areas of paving slabs.
I think personally that they do let you know if and when you can pet them but mine are like yours,they run away and defo tell you picking up is either OK or not.I just listen to them.
I always wanted other peoples snuggle buns but they all have their own characters.xx

All bunnies are different - I have one who loves interacting with people and will be all over you, but wriggles like mad when you try to hold her. Ash on the other hand has started leaping up at me, begging me to pick him up and cuddle him - he's loved being cuddled since he was a baby. Maple lets me pick her up now, but she tolerates it. She would much rather I pet her on her terms, and it took about 3 months before she fully trusted me.

For Maple, I would sit on the floor in the same room as her and basically look at my phone and act like she wasn't there. She'd come up to explore me, and I wouldn't make any sudden movements or move towards her - I'd just let her do her thing. Then, gradually, I started reaching out to her and gently pressing my hand against her nose until she let me pet her and began to relax. Sometimes she still doesn't want me around, but I know I just have to respect her space. A lot of it is about showing respect and apologising to them (by pressing your hand against the top of their head until they move away), whenever you do something that scares them or makes them cross.

There are some methods of nail trimming that don't involve having to hold a rabbit.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Grooming
Even though most rabbits generally dislike being held, you can sometimes work with a rabbit and help them learn to be ok with it, or even sometimes like it. The key is building a trusting relationship and allowing them to do it on their terms, never forcing it upon them. It can be a very gradual process that takes a lot of patience.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...it-to-let-me-pick-him-up.105953/#post-1206102

A lot of it is about showing respect and apologising to them (by pressing your hand against the top of their head until they move away), whenever you do something that scares them or makes them cross.
Just wanting to clarify here. Pressing down on the top of a rabbit's head is considered a disciplinary gesture. It mimics how a momma rabbit will correct a baby rabbit. So it's almost a punishment-- not an apology.

The rest of what was written by @AshAndMaple is good advice.

Latest posts

Back