Just lost my boy Max this mourning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Maxwell

Reaction score
Max was my little boyfriend. He used to always run to me when I got on my hands and knees. He used to jump up on my bed and nussel me to wake up in the morning. He gave me kisses and unconditional love.

Now he is gone, and I am left with an empty cage and heart.

image.jpg

I knew something was wrong; he wasn't eating and was acting strange. I found a coupon for a free vet visit and walked an hour Tuesday to the vet (I don't have a car). I arrived 25 minutes late so they couldn't take me unless I paid an exorbitant amount of money go threw the ER. I don't have the money to pay my own medical bills so I rescheduled the appointment. I held him last night and he was placid. This morning I took him out of the cage and placed him in the carrier. He didn't protest. He barely moved. I again walked an hour to the vet. I checked in and filled out the paperwork. I checked on him. Dead.

I feel like I failed him. If I had gotten to a vet earlier or had the money to go threw the ER. He wouldn't have died. I should have done something.

I am overcome with grief.

Last edited:
Don't beat yourself up over it. It wasn't your fault. Chances are he wouldn't have made it anyway :(. What were his symptoms before he died? Maybe we can help you figure out what he died of.

He wouldn't eat, but would drink water. He is a house bunny so I let him run around the house except for when I went out, then I put him in his cage. He used to greet me In his little cage when I came home. When he got sick, he just sat in his cage and didn't acknowledge I was there.
I have another bunny Charlie and Max and he never bonded. When Max got sick he wouln't try to fight with Charlie. Max would just sit there.
Max's head wasn't tilted. He just became week and disinterested and wouln't eat.

Vet said she palpated max's abdomen and felt a mass. I felt this lifeless body and never found it - although I told the vet that I felt it too. Vet said tumor.

Last night he was twitching his head funny. I got a video of it but cannot upload it on this page.

Now he is gone and I will never hold him again.

I'm so sorry. My heart & prayers go out for you in the loss of your sweet bunny companion, Max. You tried to get him help with the knowledge & circumstances you had at the time. Try not to beat yourself up with what you should have done or what ifs. I'm sure Max felt your love. He knew you loved him & that you tried to help him as best you knew how at the time. I pray that the pain of Max's passing will ease.

We're so sorry for your loss--he was a sweet little guy. Things just happen no matter how we strive. Monday I've got to take Molly in for her final visit. She's 14 and quit eating and everything else and has lost a lot of weight--just not the same nosy bunny anymore. They steal your heart and leave such a hole when they leave. Rest in peace little man.

Latest posts

Back