Just got rabbit insurance. Any of you have it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkie2

Reaction score
So I called up VPI and asked about vet insurance for my rabbit because I was bored and just wandering around the internet. Next thing I know, i buy 1 year of insurance for $120. This covers everything (past $50 deductible). For me, it was peace of mind and it's a $120 well spent. I've seen enough horror stories of animals - not to mention my girlfriend's dog and cat - racking up hundreds and hundreds of dollars in one visit.

Is anyone else's rabbit insured?

I've been thinking about it, so I'm glad you brought it up, Justin. Am I right that you need to own your rabbit at least 60 days? I'm only at 15 days. I think I saw some reports from people that'd used it & after the deductible they paid about 2/3 of the bills when it's a big expenditure, sort of like human health insurance.

LakeCondo wrote:
I've been thinking about it, so I'm glad you brought it up, Justin. Am I right that you need to own your rabbit at least 60 days? I'm only at 15 days. I think I saw some reports from people that'd used it & after the deductible they paid about 2/3 of the bills when it's a big expenditure, sort of like human health insurance.
Honestly, not sure about the at least x amount of days. I've had Rabbi for ~2-3 months now and when I told them that I guess it passed their standards. They were really nice on the phone and didn't pressure me at all so it would be a quick call to find out all the info. From VPI, I was told they would pay pretty much the entire bill after the $50 deductible. Even so, it would be a huge savings if god forbid anything did happen.

I found this site that sounds helpful: rabbitinsurance.net It mentions life-time & per-incident limits. No insurance company would pay everything after a deductible, unless they wanted to go out of business.

I've been meaning to look into this for the cats and the rabbit for a while now. I just haven't found exactly what I want. Plus health insurance speak kind of confuses me :(

From what I've researched it doesn't cover anything worthwhile, like surgeries or medications, and usually only an annual visit or something along those lines. :/ Small print and all that. I'd be interested if it actually covers stuff though!

Just looked, has a nice long "Does not cover" list :/

I think it also depends on the company too on what they cover or not. I can imagine the insurance for dogs and cats is probably better.

Sounds like a 'too good to be true' incident. Then again, if it *is* that good, I think I'll be buying it. :)

^^ I cant get over how freakin cute your rabbit is haha.

To be honest, for $120, i'm willing to give it a year and see what happens. If I ever need to bring her to the vet (god forbid), i'll report back on if it was actually worth it.

Our vet has VPI information brochures. I never thought they offered it for rabbits. I must check this out for my new french lop.

Not sure if they would even offer it in Australia as in a couple of states it is still illegal to own a rabbit. Not naming any names, Queensland...

I had VPI for my persian, and loved it. It didn't cover his neuter, but the blood work for it was. It made all his appointments much less painful for our wallets. I can't remember how much we paid per month though...

Yep we are with Petplan and Belle has just had e.coniculi with a vets bill of £386 uk pounds i`ll get most back and just lose the excess of £65 uk pounds which i`m very happy about !

Back