just got my first bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBIT#1

Reaction score
I just brought sunshine home today!she is aholland lop tort colored. I am still trying to litter box train herthough. Any suggestions?

"still trying"

It's going to take more than a day. Just put any soiledlitter in the box, or wipe it up with a paper towel and put that in thebox. If the bun seems to be going in one corner, move the boxthere.

o.k. Now she rests in it too. ( is this bad?)And she is still awake! it's 9:46 pm.

She'll go to sleep when she's ready, don't worry.

If the litter box has something in it that's more comfortable than therest of the cage, of course she'll rest in it, that's normaltoo.

Congratulations RABBIT#1.

It's a very good idea to starttraining them the litter habitright away.

For the first few days,keep her quiet and don'toverwhelmed her with the newsurroundings. Don't give herthe freedom ofroaming around thehouse, or she will beconfused where she has todo her business.There will be accidents,and spots where she will markher territory, but if there is a litterbox near by, she willstart to use it.

Check out this older thread....

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6340&forum_id=1&jump_to=90895#p90895

Rainbows! :)

laying in the litter box is normal.

just be patient and she'll come around. shes probably doing a lot ofmarking right now, so dont be worried if she doesnt get the hang of itright away.

As PetBunny said, just let her have her cage to herself for now. Giveher space very gradually once she has mastered the litterbox.

Cant wait to see some pics!

I know you were getting her a hutch.Is there any place other than the litterbox where she has a solid floorto stand on? If not, then she might keep sleeping in thelitterbox. I know when my Loki was at the shelter he prettymuch lived in the litterbox because he didn't like the wire floor. Youcan buy EZ mats, which are plastic mats with holes in them to let anyaccidents through. They're made for wire-flooredcages. Or you can put a smooth piece of untreated wood intheir for her.

Littertraining will most likely take a while, especially since she'smost likely young. How old is she? 8 week oldbabies don't always have a whole lot of control. And thenit's not unusual for them to loose all littertraining habits once theyhit puberty, although it gets a lot better if you have her spayed.

Speaking of which, have you looked at which vets are nearest toyou? You can't really take a rabbit to the average cat anddog vet because their treatment is different. For example,I've heard of several problems from the humane society about rabbitstreated at the Kettle Moraine clinic. There's a list ofWisconsin rabbit-savvy vets here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11639&forum_id=9

There's also an exotic animal vet in Saukville, but I haven't heard anything about him.

I thik I meant to say tortiose colored.

Sorry for not replying right away.

Latest posts

Back