Just got back from the vet :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChompersMom

Reaction score
It was just a check up for Chompers (the rabbit that was brought into my Petsmart in a cardboard box, completely matted to the skin) and everything looked great. My vet said he most likely escaped from some home and was living outside for a bit. His ears were very clean (no mites, YAY) and his teeth looked great. Now I have to consider if I want to shave off the rest of his fur so it can all grow back at the same speed and if I should get him neutered, which can be done at the same time for a total of about $130. He most likely will be my one and only bun, at least until I move into a house then I'm going to look into fostering, and he doesn't really spray. Plus, he's a very cuddly bun right now and I don't want that to change! Any advice?

Give lots of love and kisses and buy lots of hay and you might want to get a part-time job to pay for the toys. ;)

I personally think that if you have the money, you may as well get him neutered now...that way if you decide to add any other bunnies in the future (as so many of us couldn't resist doing), then you already have that handled. :)

I'm happy to hear that he's in such good health! That's wonderful!! :)

As far as the fur, I'm not sure. When I rescued my beautiful Flower, her fur was rather matted, but not to that extreme. They just cut the parts that were matted so she could clean herself up easier (she was quite urine-stained), but other than that, they brushed her and let her handle it on her own.

Hugs to you both! You're obviously a wonderful bunny slave!! :D

Rosie*

Thank you Rosie :) *hugs you back*

I do have the money right now but I'm afraid the neutering would change his personality. He likes being held and actually jumps into my arms. I carried him for more than an hour while at Petsmart before deciding to bring him home (I had no where to put him). He never once struggled and just let me hold him. Would he get less snuggly if I neuter him?

Young un-neutered males do tend to be very friendly and affectionate. Have you an idea of his age? Neutering does sometimes change the personality of a rabbit, but you can never be sure. I can't comment on any personal experience as I've never owned a male rabbit, but I'm sure many will be able to share their experiences.

That's great that his overall health is good :D. I'm not sure what I would do in regards to his fur, are they meaning shave him completely?

Yes, shaving him completely. If you look at my avatar you can kind of see the fact his back is all shaved. His mats were right to the skin and they were so hard there was no getting them out. He said that if I'd want all the hair to grow back at the same time then he would shave him but otherwise he's just going to look rather funny for a while.

Since I don't know his original owners I don't know the age and the vet said all he can tell me is he is over 6 months since his scrotum has dropped. He's def. "younger" but as to the exact age I am clueless. :(

Back