Just given birth!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusselandRoxy

Reaction score
We just found out this morning that Roxy waspregnant (yes again) but this time was not planned - we dont knw whenit happened and still dont. Anyway, i took Nibbles away as i saw herpulling a bit of fur this morning.
Then i left her and checked her when i got home. She has blood allaround her bottom (which she had last time) but this time it kind oflooked like a drip was still coming out. I attempted to look in thenest but did i mention she had them in her huge hole in the ground!! Icant even reach down there, let alone see down there. I dont know ifshe has even had them, i dont know if they're dead or alive or anythin!
Any suggestions!!! Please!!!
And although i saw her pulling fur this morning, her belly still looks very full of fur and last time she had a bald patch,
Oh please help, i was thinking of making a periscope to see if i could see anythin!
Any other ideas!!!
Leanne x :):X:?

Oh my gosh. I'm sorry this happened toyou again. I don't know what to tell you. She was agood mom last time, right? She'll take care of them, I'm sure.

Where is Russel? Make sure he's put up.

Laura

Oh goodness lol poor you , the periscope sounds like an idea lol .

normally i would say just give her a nestbox but it seems thebooger has already got one deep into awarren lol its a multiplepart dilema here i think.

1. you cant bring her inside or put herin a cage outside in case shehas already had the babies , they wouldnever survive

2. you really cant leave her out there to care for them ,

3. you cant dig down beside theburrow in case of striking into the nestand smothering them . not to mention onceyou do find them youshouldnt move the nest ,

4 if you leave them there towean they are not going to behuman friendly and will be really hard tofind homes for .

For one of the few times in mylife I am at a total loss forhow to handle this situation , let me doa bit of looking on the web andsee what I can find to help you, Im hoping someoneelse comes up with a great idea, sorry Hon i am so clueless .but I will get back to you .

How about sticking a hand in and gently pulling out babies and nest by feel? How deep is your hole, anyway?

Sheesh, these little stinkers!:?Didn't you say Russel just got neutered? Good luck, what a mess!:shock::shock:

Rose

Is this the hole that she dug inside herrun? The periscope idea sounds pretty good rightnow. It will let you see how deep the babies are hidden. :?

Posted: Fri Jun 3rd, 2005 10:46 am

button2_left.gif

spacer.gif

LuvaBun wrote:
Glad the op went well and Russel is recovering. He will probablybe 'off' his normal food for a day or two, but as long as he is eatingsomething and drinking, he's doing fine. I believe that it can takeseveral weeks for the remaining sperm to die off, so watch him with theladies ;). - Jan

Lol - i certainly will. Roxy has been really off lately actually andbeing extremely grouchy with the other rabbits and sometimes with mewhen i pick her up! I have no idea why but i guess it will wear off :D

I guess Russel was neutered after he'd already gotten herpregnant! No wonder Roxy was grouchy! Poor thingwas pregnant and no one knew!

Leanne, he may still be able to get her pregnant again. Makesure they are separated for several more weeks. It takes thatlong for males to become sterile after neutering.

Laura

thanks everyone. I know, poor Roxy!
I just managed to feel the nest inside the ground (the hole is realllylong btw and could only just feel the end) and i am pretty sure thereis NO kits but there is a furry nest down there but no movement orbodies.
However, she has bled and she had contractions earlier (according to mymum) this is day 32 btw. And so could they be due very soon? Last time,she had them overnight no problem! Please help!
Should i cover the hole, leave it etc???#
Thanks again,
Leanne

PS. yes it does seem like he got to her before his neuter lol
Oh and i'm not sure if you realise the hole is actually in her cage cozher run is attached to cage and she has access to it at all times

Laura wrote:
Ohmy gosh. I'm sorry this happened to you again. Idon't know what to tell you. She was a good mom last time,right? She'll take care of them, I'm sure.

Where is Russel? Make sure he's put up.

Laura

Yeh she was a great mum last time and Russel is not kept with her ;)

Since there are no babies in there, can you justcover the hole with some dirt and wire fencing to keep her from diggingit again. In the meantime, you can take the fur she hasalready pulled and put it in a nestbox in her cage. Hopefullyshe will get the hint.

OKay i probably will do that! What does everyone else think?
anyway, my main concern at the moment is Roxy - will she be ok? and isshe likely to have them tonight? How come she has already hadcontractions and bled, yet there are no babies! Sorry for all thequestions but i am happy for all the advice i can get1;)

Are you sure this is day 32? You mightwant to get her to a vet if she doesn't have them soon. Itmay be a stuck kit. I don't want to scare you, but I've heardof thishappeninglots of times.

Keep us posted.

Laura

Oh, I wish I had suggestions for you, but I just don't. This is a crazy situation.

Also, it is possible for neutered bucks to get intact females pregnantfor awhile following their neuter. I'm not sure of the exactamount of time, but I think it's at least a couple of weeks.

Jen

Russel doesn't live with Roxy!
Oh yeah i didn't explain, i think it is day 32 coz about a month ago ona Sunday(32 days ago) she and Russel both escaped and went next door. Iran round and got roxy away straight away so i thought there was notime for her to get pregnant. Obviously i was wrong because this is theonly time she has been with a buck and because she has been grouchy fora while now!

Laura wrote:
Areyou sure this is day 32? You might want to get her to a vetif she doesn't have them soon. It may be a stuckkit. I don't want to scare you, but I've heard ofthishappeninglots of times.

Keep us posted.

Laura

What do i do if it is a stuck kit? What are the common signs of a stuck kit?

Someone like Gypsy, Pam or Amy could probably help you with this. I'd try PM'ing one (or all) of them.

How long has she been bleeding? I would be taking her to the vet if I were you.

Laura

Stuck kit:

http://www.tinytotsrabbitry.com/care/beginners.html

It'sbest to have someone else to help hold the doe for you! In the processyou need some Vaseline or KY jelly. Place the Vaseline or KY jellaround the opening of the vagina, as the doe has her contractions, youmust pull ever so slightly on the kit that is stuck. ONLY pull with hercontractions so you don't pull the kit apart inside your doe and causeinfection. If you can't see the kit at all, but you can see your doestraining, let her go a while longer to see if she can get the kit out.It will eventually pass on it's own. After all is said and done it isbest to give her 3cc of penicillin for at least 3 days to be sure youcatch any chance of infection. At the same time you should give sometype of yogurt to replace the necessary bacteria for digestion yourbunny needs, as the penicillin will kill this as well as any infection.You can purchase a box of yogurt chips, some Wal-Marts carry them oryou can purchase Plain Yogurt and feed it to your bunny. Most bunny'swill lick it from a spoon, however there are the "stubborn" ones. Ifyou should have a stubborn bunny, just use a 3cc syringe and feed theyogurt through it twice a day.

~Amy

Thanks Amy - i will look into that but i can'tactually see a kit at the moment - i don't even know if thatsdefinately the problem aahh i am so confused

It is nearly 9pm here so all the vets will be shut and i won't be ableto take her for at least another 12 hours, and even then i have schoolfor another 7 so i will have to see if my parents will take her coz iknow she needs help!
The good news is that she still has a great appetite and shes drinkingplenty. However she is still bleeding and is appearing to havecontractions so i will have to wait til the morning to see what happens!
AAAHHHH!!!! Why did she have to go and get herself pregnant!!! Lol!:?

Hey, Good news!!
well its half good if ya know what i mean.
Shes passed the stuck kit, its dead but i am still relieved for my babyRoxy!! It was absolutely huge!!! Like really long and itappeared to have colouring which is wierd coz both russel androxy are white, so i think something might have gone wrong and it wasblood or something.
I don't know if she's having anymore but she looks like shes finishedanyway. besides, this one was big enough to fill her stomach, lol!! Ok,maybe i am exaggerating a bit but i'm so happy Roxys ok now!!
Thanks for everyone's help
Luv Leanne xxx:)xxx
Ps, and i dont mean to sound like i'm not sad the kits deadcoz of course i am but it would never have made it by the size of itand i am just happy for Roxy. Thanks again, :D

Oh I am SO glad she is ok! I was just searchingthe internet for other reasons that she could be bleeding. I am sohappy she passed it, I am sad that it is dead, but atleast she isnt inpain any more :D Let us know if she has any more.

~Amy

Latest posts

Back