Just curious

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyparent2206

Reaction score
Last night when I got home my Bunny was acting a liitle different she was not as active and she was alit calmer then useuall is she just tired because she had not been outside all day and stuck in a pin inside or was she just tired and bored I'm new at bunny parenting so just curious

Can you provide some more detail? That'd be helpful. Rabbits can show the same signs, but the reasons can be completely different based on the scenario, so getting your specific context is important.

1) How long have you had her?
2) How old is she? Is she spayed? If so, how long ago?
3) How often is she out of her cage, and what's her free-roam environment?
4) What's her diet?
5) Any unusual poop or peeing?​

Also what time did you see her, specific times during the day the bunny will be a lot calmer and more sleepy.

I have had her for 4 days she I'd not spayed it depends on sonedays 3-4 hours in others only 15-30 minutes when she is not in her cage she is in her outdoor hunch she has been having a mixed diet she has been having pellets,alphalfa,carits and some domain letece and a chunck of banna no unudeual poop she has been drinking a little less

You aren’t supposed to give a kit any other food than hay and pellets the first weeks. Specially the first days you have her.

You can start introducing other food around 3 months slowly.

10 o’clock it’s often rest time during that time of the day.

Wait a few weeks with her and let her settle in with her new home.

So she’s used with those treats since she was a baby, then they are okay but should only be tiny bits ^^

Most breeders don’t give banana to their bunnies, so kits around 8 weeks have never tasted it before. Just a precaution [emoji5]

Because she’s an outdoor temperature can also affect the bunny to become more tired if it really warm outside. Most of my bunnies are only active during early morning and late night because it becomes colder outside.

Thanks for answering the questions. I think it's great that you're asking for help and advice. I know this response is long, so feel free to ask questions!

I think it's most important for you to get a better idea of what good rabbit care looks like, since it sounds like the person who gave you the rabbit did not tell you much, and what he/she did tell you isn't very good. There are a lot of people who sell rabbits and they don't actually know how to take good care of them.

If you go here: https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/Default.aspx , there are easy categories you can click on to read up on the different components of rabbit care (ex. Cost, healthy diet, litter training, habitat...). It's a very easy read, and if you have any questions or are confused about anything, definitely feel free to ask on here!

As @Hermelin says, right now, it's most important for her to eat hay. No matter what age a rabbit is, hay is the most important food for a rabbit. If you do not have hay, you'll need to buy it at a pet store (easiest place to find it). At a pet store, there will be a lot of stuff for rabbits that aren't very good. "Oxbow" is a good, trustworthy brand for rabbit food and supplies, so if you can afford Oxbow Timothy hay, that would be great. "Kaytee" is another brand that's slightly worse quality, but they also sell Timothy hay that's good. If for some reason Timothy hay can't be found, Orchard Hay works as well.

So you know what to buy and what you need to keep buying, you can look here when your rabbit is over a year old: https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/2/PID/940/Default.aspx

Since your rabbit is 8 weeks old now, she should be eating: unlimited pellets and unlimited hay.
Carrots and banana are rabbit-safe treats, but they will spoil your rabbit's appetite. Just like how we won't eat salads if we're offered candy, rabbits won't eat what's healthiest for them if they're eating sugary food. I would stop giving carrots and bananas all together so she can get used to eating hay, because again, it's really important she eats hay. It helps keep her teeth short and it will keep her stomach healthy (hay "cleans" a rabbit's stomach, and keeps them healthy).

For her outdoor time, I'm glad that you try to let her out every day, even if it's only for 15 minutes. It can be difficult to schedule time to be with your rabbit, but it's really important that she gets more than 15 minutes outside her hutch every day and with you. Sometimes that can be hard, but it's really important for her happiness and health! For her hutch, it'd be good to make sure it's a good size and comfortable for her.

Here's a site that has very straightforward answers about rabbit housing that I think would be very helpful for you: https://rabbit.org/faq-housing/

Latest posts

Back