Just Bunny is Neutered!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
:DMy poor bunny! Drove an hour in a blizzard to get him to his early appointment. He was allowed to eat right up until I put him in the truck. Surgery went very well, we were allowed to pick him up an hour and a half early as the roads were so bad. Brought him home and I was given a syringe full of "feeding" stuff apparently chock full of vitamins and what not to help keep his guts going I guess, smells like liquorice and he likes it. Put him in his cage and he went right to eating, drinking and now is giving himself a thorough cleaning, so far leaving his insicions alone. I have four syringes of pain killer to give him - .5 cc every 12 hours for 2 days then he has to go back for a check up in a week. Bad thing is that the vet said I had to keep him in his cage for several weeks, he will go stir crazy as he enjoys roaming the house and following us around. How do I safley pick him up without putting pressure on his insision? I try to support his bum but don't want to cause him any more pain.

The feeding stuff is probably Critical Care, one of the kinds smells a bit like licorice and some bunnies like it. Make sure you keep it refrigerated if you aren't using it right away.

With males, you should keep them caged for at least a week and don't let them run around too much for about 2 weeks. You want the incision to heal and that is usually done in about 10-14 days. Try keeping him in teh cage for about a week, then give supervised time out for an hour or so at a time for another week and after than he should be good to resume normal activities.

For a couple days, don't handle him unless you have to. Support his chest and bum and don't carry him around. Check the incision and put him back. As he heals more, you can handle him more if he lets you. Check it twice a day if you can.

Just make sure he is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping. It may take a day or 2 for him to be back to normal amounts. Keep the cage clean and don't use wood shavings or aything that could irritate the incision.

Just FYI when you check his incisions - the day after we had Peaches done his testicles were huge! so much if fact I thought they were overly swollen but I was told they were filled with air and the slowly deflated after that - I hope he doesn't try to lick his incision - Peaches had glue no stitches and healed great - I couldn't keep him in his small cage and he hid in his condo so I let him be. I couldn't feed him the critical care - he hated it bu then again he was being fed the alfalfa pellets then. Glad he likes that stuff

thank you for your help, I felt so sorry for him last night as he was so sore, his eyes could tell everything that was going on in his body. It must take awhile for the pain meds to kick in as after a bit he munched on some hay and paid more attention to what was going on in the house. I asked the receptionist if they do many rabbit neuters and she said no, they had done a few but it was not a very common thing. Made me feel a bit uncomfortable the way she said it but aside from Just Bunny being so sore I am very glad that I got him neutered. The Humane society does this all the time so I don't know why they say it is not very common? Maybe rabbits are not very popular on that side of town? Oh well, we will heal our bunsie up and enjoy him being part of our family without all the boyish problems. He is more active this morning and eating and drinking and moving around, time for more meds.

Getting them fixed is so scary!
I was a nervous wreck with I got Snickers done and now Pickles goes in tomorrow to get fixed, EEK!

Sounds like your vet knows her stuff though.

Sounds like everything is fine. We used to keep ours in their hutch for ten days and then let them assume their normal routine. If it smalls like licorice we'd be betting that it is Critical Care and it sounds like he doesn't need it. We only had to use it one time out of 12 and he bounced back to normal on the second day and started eating everything.

Safe handling video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare#p/u/18/50D01krKgi0[/ame]

Well Just Bunny was neutered on Wed and was back to normal on Thursday evening and seems to have not noticed that he is supposed to be taking it easy and healing. He wants out of his cage so bad. He is hopping around and chewing on the bars and going snaky. Food does not entertain him anymore and he has shredded his fair share of paper and cardboard. I sit by his cage and visit with him but he glares at me and wonders why I am not opening the cage to let him out. Poor guy. He has 4 more days of solitary confinement - dr's orders before he can come out.

poor little guy, its miserable when they don't know why they're getting "punished" by having to stay in their cage. But he should up and runnin soon and forget all about that. Unless of course you have one of those buns who holds a grudge lol:pssd:

Which Vet did you see? How much was the neuter?

Have you seen the Edmonton Humane Society? The vets do all the rabbits there (spay/neuter) and they become very fast andefficient at the surgery.

1149_241555_020000000.jpg

I took him to Heritage Hills veterinary clinic in Sherwood Park, with tax the bill came to $170.00 but it was well worth it and I am happy that I got him neutered. I was supposed to take him tonight for a follow up appointment to see how he is healing but had to work late so cancelled the appointment but Just Bunny seems to be doing just fine, getting into trouble and is out exporing the house again. I can not remember the vet's name, Rupy somebody or other, not a very common name but he sure did a great job and I really appreciated him phoning the day after to see how my bunny was doing.

I contacted the SPCA and they said that they do not do outside neuters - too bad as it would be more convienient and I would not mind giving them the support.

Latest posts

Back