Just asking for positive thoughts/prayers...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plasticbunny wrote:
I personally gave my rabbit an enema, and it saved her life. When she did pass the blockage, it was HUGE, like the size of a peach pit. She would never have passed it otherwise.

This is the guide I followed when I did it. You may have seen it before (look for section D):

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Again, not sure if her megacolon will interfere or not, but it's a thought. I'm only suggesting it because the blockage is in her large intestine, where the enema will reach to flush it out.

But of course, your vet knows best. Good luck! How is she doing now?
I've read Krempels' article before. The source I've read that discourages enemas in rabbits is the book When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care, which quotes a vet as saying that the rectum wall is fragile and risks puncture. (I'm unsure if the vet was referring to using a needle, or if any enema delivery device inserted into the rectum runs this risk.)

Plus, Krempels' article advocates that an enema not be given without a vet's initial instruction, which I've not had. I'm not really comfortable trying to give her an enema without a demonstration. I will ask the vet about it tomorrow.

Zoe's behavior is up and down. I'll catch her grooming herself, but then she'll be stretched out in her litter box, not wanting to move.

Pipp wrote:
Are you giving Zoe fresh grass? What happens when she gets vegetables?

What are her megacolon symptoms?
She's not really eating at this point; I need to ask the vet tomorrow about giving her something to prevent ulcers, due to her inappetence. All I've gotten into her today is 10 mL's of watery Critical Care and a few parsley leaves.

She's had megacolon for her entire life (since 9 weeks of age). She has stools that vary widely in terms of size, shape, and moisture content. She also goes through semi-frequent bouts of gut slowdown/stasis, which are only made worse due to all the anesthesia she's experienced (for tooth trims and a growth removal).

Completely understandable, and yes their bowels can be perforated very easily. If your vet is in agreement, you should for sure ask for a demonstration.

I remember how nervous I was!

plasticbunny wrote:
Completely understandable, and yes their bowels can be perforated very easily. If your vet is in agreement, you should for sure ask for a demonstration.

I remember how nervous I was!
Did your vet show you beforehand how to give the enema?

Just moments ago, I bought the items recommended in Krempels' article; so I have them on hand to bring to the vet's. Mind you, I don't think she's given a bun an enema before. I'm under the impression that many rabbit-savvy vets don't give, or are no longer giving, enemas. But I'd rather she try it than I.

I must ask, since I find no online videos demonstrating the process: at what angle did you insert the syringe tip into the rectum? And in what direction did you point it (upward more in the direction of the spinal column)? You did give it with your bun on her back, yes? (My questions are based on this assumption. :D)

rabbitgeek2011 wrote:
Wishing the best for your rabbit named "Zoe"!
Thank you, rabbitgeek. :biggrin2:

Ironically, the name Zoe is Greek and means life. For as many issues as Zoe's had practically since birth, she's remained incredibly resilient. She's a lil' trooper, my Zoe.

hln917 wrote:
Sending good wishes to Zoe!
Thank you very much. :hug:

Zoe didn't pass any fecal material last night but continued to strain, as if she had to pee. (I think she's been straining to poop, though.)

She's back at the vet's office today. Unfortunately, the vet who's on duty today is the one who won't give an enema to a bun. When she calls me today, I'll ask if her boss--my rabbits' regular vet--would give Zoe an enema today. (Zoe's regular vet told me yesterday that she'd try it, if Zoe didn't improve. But while this vet will be in the clinic today, she's not on duty to treat animals; I'm unsure if she'll help.)

I've also asked the vet on duty to call an exotics-only vet that Zoe used to see regularly and ask him three specific questions. I hope that she will do so to get all the help for Zoe that we can get.

Someone on another forum suggested Buprenorphine, saying that it effects gut motility less but helps relax the muscles, which could help Zoe pass a large fecal mass. (Anything that slows gut motility is risky with Zoe, though; she has megacolon.)

Jenk

Back