just added a new member to our rabbit family, we got a flemish giant!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerchick

Reaction score
first of all, i don't got a picture at this moment, but i will post one later, we named her ester (ester bunny) she is 3 months old and is all black with tan fur underneathe that shines through. she is so sweet. we got her from a farm in another town, it was a rabbit farmer, she was nice and treated her animals well. she had these beautiful lops that were just so cute she bred for pets, and then she had a large number of giant flemishes and litters (ester was 1 of 15)

when we went there we decided we wanted a girl so that if any of our rabbits got out there wouldn't be accidental pregnancys (all our boys are neutered) we went into the barn where they all were, and as we were checking out the bunnies she was telling us that tomorrow the rest of the litter (3 months old) was going for slaughtering... which made the stress of picking just ONE even more. i wanted to take all them home! she said that no one usually buys the flemishes for pets so the ones she doesn't sell goes for meat. she was a nice lady and the rabbits had a good home not condoning her practice, it just wasn't for me personally lol...

she started sexing them (because they were at that point) and the first 8 were all boys! she picked up all different ones and all were boys... we were prepared to take home a boy if they were all boys, it just meant we had to neuter right away... then she finally found two girls, both black with tan. it was so hard...one was friendly and loveable but she was really small and seemed kind of sickly... the other was much bigger and wasn't used to being handled, we decided to go with the healthier one. she was so calm and relaxed in a basket we brought the whole way home on my fiances lap. she is just so sweet, it was just so hard leaving all the bunnies behind...

we have set up a pen for her but plan to have her more like a house bunny, and have free roam, depends how her temperment turns out...

but my questions;...

are flemish giants all so lazy?! all she does is relax and lounge around, she is alert and happy but overall relaxed and not stressed out about a 2 hour drive and meeting 4 new rabbits. she even stretches out to eat and drink! she is so calm and laid back, is this normal? never had a rabbit like this the first hour i bring them home!

like i said i will post pics later tonight, she is so gorgeous!

eeeeeee another Flemmie, I just posted a new pic of my Pickles boy in my blog, you'll have to check him out.

Answer to your question, YUP they're all lazy, haha that's what makes them so great, I love the laid back personality.
I CAN'T wait for pics!!!!

Yay another Flemish :) Pictures please? :pleaseplease:
My babyboy was born on Oct 7 and we got him when he was 8 1/2 weeks old. He is extremely lazy and easy going. He gets energetic between 6 at night until about 11 or 12 ( energetic meaning he jumps up to be petted and kissed and does some binkies and then lies beside me again!) soo cute. congrats!!

hhehehehe here are pics, we named her gloria:

gloria001.jpg

gloria003.jpg

gloria004.jpg

gloria008.jpg

gloria011.jpg
(being lazy in the bag lol)

Yay! I love it when someone gets a flemmie! she's a cutie! And yes, my Muppet is a pile of poop when she's "exercising". ;) She goes back and forth between her two favorite spots to lie down and that's about it.

She's a real cutie. Congrats. We have a Checkered Giant that is 17 pounds. She will do binkies and loves paper bags too. She is one gigantic lap bunny--she'll lay on your lap for hours if you rub her. Seems like the larger bunnies are more mellow for sure.

got more pics! we had to change the way the cages were to make everything fit, but i think it works out good, all though she is not so good at litter training yet.. i can't believe such big poo's come out of a small bunny lol also we're having problems with her water, if we put down a heavy bowl she either knocks it over or gets in it and dumps it, and also she has no idea about the waterbottle which leaked ALL NIGHT onto my floor! :( anyway heres the pics:

004-13.jpg

005-14.jpg

007-13.jpg

just a funny pic, wanda is not to impressed lol
008-14.jpg

You might want to try a heavy crock for her water, that's what we had to use for our Flemmie and he doesn't knock it over.

She is just go gorgeous :heartbeat: I wanna steal her!

006-16.jpg

its been a few days now, she is soo laid back and lazy! i have 2 litterboxes in her pen, and she has deemed one for the bathroom and the other for sleeping. she is still really shy and skiddish. she is growing really fast too!

we also renamed her Dale... as well as alot of other things lol we went through alot of names with her, but we finally decided on Dale.

[align=center]Congrats on the Flemish! :hearts:

I remember getting my Flemish, Silas. It was so exciting to have an 11 lb bun, compared to my 4 lb dutch and 5 lb mini-rex mix =] He's just as lazy as Dale is- cool name by the way =] What made you pick that?

I wish you luck on her growing less shy and skittish =]

I also just adopted a female Flemish/New Zealand mix, Soleil, the other day and she's huge for being only 6 months old, and it looks like she's gunna be lazy as well!

I love flemishes =]

Silas, decided to start using his hay box that is filled with HOLES as his litterbox even though he can barely fit in it... XD It seems a lot of flemishes have litter box troubles. I'm glad Soleil doesn't XD *knocks on wood*

Latest posts

Back