Just a few questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayndance

Reaction score
So my 5 pound English lop, Koda, and I have recently moved back to my parent's house. There are questions I have about litter and diet!

Litter:
Koda used to pee in his litter and nowhere else all if the time. Now he pees on both his litter AND the surrounding area of his x-pin. His cage setup used to be like this when he lived in my room: on top of the carpet I laid a tarp, and in top of the tarp there laid a blanket. Tarp was there to prevent the pee to leak through the blanket and onto the carpet.
Now, since his cage is set up in the insulated garage, there is no tarp, just a blanket on top of the concrete. I haven't seen him pee anywhere but his litter yet, which is great, but if I can find a better way to keep preventing him from peeing outside his litter, that would be great.

Diet:
I give Kida a daily salad. I recently found out it's best to rotate a bunnie's diet. Usually his salad consisted of Kale, Cilantro and Parsley. This could have been the wrong way to feed him and that's why I am here to ask for help. I need to get educated in this.

I went to the Saturday Market an got him 5 different types of leafy green, organic veggies. 1 head of leafy green lettuce, chard, arugula, collard, and basil. How can I safely feed these veggies to him, and how do I rotate his diet? I will hopefully be going to the market again in the next week or two. Here is a list of what is in season right now:

http://www.rvgrowersmarket.com/in-season/

Is there any possible way I can learn from you guys on how to properly feed my bunny? He has unlimited Timothy hay an is usually fed a 1/4 cup of pellets every day, but I'm thinking we could do without the pellets. I just want Koda to be the healthiest, happiest bunny he can be!

Do you know what nutrients/minerals/vitamins your rabbit will get with each of the veggies you've selected? I know it's possible to feed rabbits a well balanced diet with just veggies, but it takes some research and knowing the right combination and amount of veggies to give. You could make the majority of his intake hay and veggies but I would personally continue the pellets just for some 'insurance'.

Ours get unlimited orchard grass, small amount of pellets (2 tbsp) and a cup on veggies in the am and pm. When we moved, Nikki started emptying out her pan--she'd use it still. We got her a bigger litter pan and she went back to what passes for normal, for her. That's her in the avatar pic, sound asleep and all 4 feet in the air.

I agree with majorv. You need to make sure he is getting a balanced diet with his veggies or you will start seeing malnutrition issues.

Also rotating a rabbits diet can be okay for some but it also might be too much for others. If you are consistently changing his diet you will not allow the microbes in his gut to get used to digesting one thing. They will consistently be changing and this might kill them off and give him digestive issues. We transition rabbits slowly onto different foods (especially veggies and pellets) because the microbes need time to adjust to a different way of digestion. This needs to be taken into consideration and some rabbits may take it fine while others will have big problems with it. Just being aware of it is fine. Also 5lbs doesnt sound like he is a full grown rabbit. If your bun is under 6months of age you might want to slow down on veggies anyways because he is still young and growing he needs the right nutrients to allow for a healthy GI tract.

I agree with majorv. You need to make sure he is getting a balanced diet with his veggies or you will start seeing malnutrition issues.

Also rotating a rabbits diet can be okay for some but it also might be too much for others. If you are consistently changing his diet you will not allow the microbes in his gut to get used to digesting one thing. They will consistently be changing and this might kill them off and give him digestive issues. We transition rabbits slowly onto different foods (especially veggies and pellets) because the microbes need time to adjust to a different way of digestion. This needs to be taken into consideration and some rabbits may take it fine while others will have big problems with it. Just being aware of it is fine. Also 5lbs doesnt sound like he is a full grown rabbit. If your bun is under 6months of age you might want to slow down on veggies anyways because he is still young and growing he needs the right nutrients to allow for a healthy GI tract.

This is a lot to take in, but that's okay, since I want what's best for my bunny.
Maybe I should weigh him again. The adoption agency said he was about 5 pounds when I got him, but it's been a little over half a year since then. He's 1 1/2 years old, from what the estimated. They couldn't even tell me what breed he was directly. The whole thing was a bit suspicious. They said he was a rescue animal but I honestly think they bought him from a breeder and maybe got his age wrong. :(

Thanks or all of the help, guys. I honestly don't know exactly what a bunny needs or doesn't need in order to be balanced and healthy, but I'll do my best to figure it out.

Lol well you said English lop so I was going by that. I believe 5lbs would still be a junior for that breed. English lops have very distinct long ears and I don't think your bun is one from looking at your avatar

Jbun posted this link for me to do a but more research on non pelleted diets for rabbits as my little guy seems to not tolerate them. I must add that feeding species appropriate diets is a big commitment and a lot of work. I used to do this with my dogs, it was also very expensive!

http://www.suevet.com/bunny_health.html

The author of the article wrote that she spends $25 a week on veggies for her bunnies it makes me curious how many bunnies that is. If it is one it is less expensive to feed my 1100/lb. horse! LOL

Latest posts

Back