Just a few questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallice

Reaction score
Hi

Its been a little while since I last posted on here, but my big boy Wallace is doing great! Hes up to about 16lbs now (don't have a great scale), and I think hes just about stopped growing now that hes a year old. He used to have really bad bum matting when I first got him from the shelter, but I've been able to slowly get out about 75% of them by just gently picking through them and pulling out the loose fur. Its a work in progress. I was going to take him to a groomer, but noone in the area will touch rabbits, and one lady even said she tried once and the poor little guy died of shock the next day, despite her being really gentle. So that scared me to death!

I was wondering if you should take a rabbit to the vet once a year for an annual check up, or if there were any shots they needed. Or should I just go to the vet asap if I notice anything wrong? I don't think any of the vets around here are overly experianced with bunnies, and way over charge, so I am a little hesitant to go. But if its something good to do, I don't mind :)

Also, I don't know if anyone else has a Flemish Giant (or other breed for that matter) that is SO LAZY! My lop before was really energetic, only flopping once in a while. But my guy Wallace doesn't do anything for about 23 hours of the day! He is free range, but really doesn't use it. He just sorta lays around all day, getting up once in a while to eat, stretch, or groom himself. He technically has access to the whole house, but never leaves the one room, and actually rarely leaves his cage most of the time. He used to be a little more active (though still pretty lazy), but now he doesn't so anything!

Is that normal?

I like to go to the vet once a year so they can look my bunny over. It's also a good opportunity for them to clip his nails, etc. They can do the grooming stuff you need like cutting out matted fur.

My little holland lop is also extremely lazy, so I know how you feel ;-) I find it really helpful to play with him and teach him tricks - it really gets him moving and gets him running around. It's easy to teach a bunny to stand up, spin in a circle, etc.

wallice wrote:
I was wondering if you should take a rabbit to the vet once a year for an annual check up, or if there were any shots they needed. Or should I just go to the vet asap if I notice anything wrong? I don't think any of the vets around here are overly experianced with bunnies, and way over charge, so I am a little hesitant to go. But if its something good to do, I don't mind :)
This is up to you.
It may be beneficial to go once a year, but you won't be a 'bad bum mom' if you don't.

16 lbs wow, that's bigger than my dog!

My holland lops are pretty lazy, especially compared to the Netherland dwarf I use to have. They will run around and play for maybe an hour or less a day, the rest of the time they are usually relaxing or eating.

I like to go to the vets once a year, but sometimes base it on what I think would be best for the particular rabbit. My Barnaby is very fearful and gets very very nervous of stuff like being in his carrier and going places. Last time I took him to the vet for a check up, he got extremely stressed out and stopped eating for a day. My vet and I both decided that I should just keep an eye on him, and only bring him in if I need too.

I take my buns to the vet once a year (or as close as I can get to that). I like to get to know my vet and have a record for the rabbit in case anything happens. Knowing what is normal for your rabbit helps know what isn't when you need to know. A check up can also catch some things early, before you might notice a problem. You can also talk with the vet about general care things. I would also take a new rabbit to the vet for a check up to get a base for any future issues. For the first time rabbit owner, a vet can be good to know what is normal for a rabbit, your rabbit might do something that is not normal for rabbits but you don't know because you have not had rabbits before. It is also good to at least be framiler with the vet, the clinic and the other staff so you are more comfortable if anything does happen.
In Canada, rabbits do not need routine vaccinations.

While I don't have a flemish, I do have a large breed rabbit. She does seem lazy compared to my other 2. She like to lay around and shed on the carpet. When she does get out of her run, she explores, but isn't that active. Even at agility, she is more lazy and just want to cuddle.

Thanks everyone!

I think I will make an appointment for my "little" man in the next month or so. I got him at 7 months old from a shelter, and so was vet checked there and had a clean bill of health, except for a slight case of ear mites, which he was treated for (and I haven't seen any since).
There is a vet in town that I had taken my last bunny to, and they seemed alright with rabbits, but addmitted they didn't see them all too often. Might help me though to get out the last of the bum mats, and to maybe trim his nails, so he doesn't hate me for 3 days afterwards :)

As for the laziness, I guess hes just got a couch potato personality. I try to train him to do different things to keep his mind active, but even if I shake the treat box in front of him, its a 50/50 as to whether or not he even gets up, then once the treat is obtained, he hops back in and goes to sleep. But hes alright with "come" and is sort of learning "up". I'll keep trying to get him interested in doing new things though.

Thanks again!

PS. Hes bigger than the three dogs we've had come to our house, one ignored him, the other two were scared of him!

Latest posts

Back