Just a few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cailloui

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a first time owner of a rabbit.. She is some kind of dwarf but not sure exactly what..

My hubby's sister decided that she had wanted a rabbit, so she boughther from a pet store.. She was not good to this baby girl at all.. Shekept her in the bottom of a tall laundry basket, and the poor thingrarely received any attention..

So, as I have done so before,with other animals from her, (3 to beexact) we had taken this lil girl in.. Hubby's sister said she was 9months old when she bought her, she had her for a few months and I havehad her for a month.. So I think she is around a year old.. We wentstraight out and bought her a cage (although it seems awfully smallcompared to some I have seen on here), some hay, some pellets, and awater bottle. She is so much happier here.. She gets at least 3 hoursof run time everyday, and she just loves to snuggle up next to me andbe petted for hours..

We named her Nikita aka Bun bun.. I have done so much research on howto take good care of her, I almost feel like an expert lol..Although I have ran into a few things that some websites say theopposite of others..

One question is, Is carrots and apples OK for her in unlimited amounts,or should I limit them to her, and by how much.. She absolutely adorescarrots.. (some sites say to limit them, and a few say that I don'thave to)

Her cage is a bit small but she has plenty of room to stretch out inand still have enough room at the other end for her food..Ithas a plastic bottom and at the moment we are usingtelephone book pages to line the bottom.. I am a bit worried about thisas I have to change it several times a day because it get soaked inthere, and I don't want her to have to lay in it.. We was using cedarbedding, which I now know is a No-No, the pet shop owner that we boughtthe cage from said that was what we wanted.. I found out on-line thatthis was not good for them, and I immediately snatched itout.. Any good suggestions on bedding, that is light on thepocketbook?

I am a cat person, but I am amazed at how much I love this lil girlalready.. I never really knew that rabbits have so much spunk andpersonality.. If I had known what these little babies were like sooner,I would of probably had one way before now..

Also she has already peed on me twice lol How can I break her from this? It's getting annoying :D

Congragulations on getting a new bunny! My rabbit's name is Beanbut I also like to call her Bun Bun.

As to your questions, I was told by my vet that you do want to limitcarrots and apples as they do contain a lot of sugar. And for thebedding, Idiscovered this stuff called "Crown AnimalBedding". It is shaped like pellets and made from recycled newspapers.They are very absorbant and you will only need to change the cage aboutonce a week (the bag lasts about a month at apx. $17 a bag).Dont worry about your bunny mistaking them for food as theyare very smart creatures.

Well, have fun and good luck!

Cute_bunny said well on the carrots. As far asbedding, I use pine shavings. I can buy a 50lb bag for about $4. Itlasts me about a month, but with one rabbit I would assume it wouldlast much, much longer. ;)

~Nichole

Greetings and Welcome!!

I've used just about everything out there and I've found that only one product that out performs all of the others..

"Woody Pet"

I wouldn't use anything else (as a lot of the members here already know ;))

It's safe, super absorbent, super odor eliminant, easy to useand maintain, and cheap @ $4.99/ 30 lb bag. Use it for the kitty.too!!

You can find it at Tractor Supply or various distributor's. Oryou can order it on line. We also have a member of this forum that isan excellent customer service rep for Woody Pet and he can assist youin procurement.

:~) Jim

Thank you much everyone!!

As soon as I mentionedTractorSupplyto my hubby his face lit up.. Hesaid that is a great place to get many of things.. You made my hubby'sday JimD :D

Limit carrots and apples. There's agreat resource here (the thread CHEAT SHEET) that is stickied to thetop of the forum. It has all kinds of links.

Also, get a litterbox for her. She will train to it and notneed her cage lined. If you have a bit more space for hercage, you can build one very inexpensively with Neat Idea Cubes....Just ask.... we have a thread LOL!

You need to have a photo online. It's a requirement that wesee every bunny. ;);)Yeah, requirement....... lol

She's a lucky bunny. I'm glad you took her. You area lucky person. I didn't know how much personality they hadeither, and it's amazing! I love the bunnies!

Best advice that you can be given here, and thebest "bang" for your buck(time and effort) is to read A Cheat Sheetfor Rabbit Care found on the contents/topics window for thisforum. The moderator spent some amount of time correlatingall that information for new bun owners, such as yourself.

JimD is right about the WoodyPet. Once one uses it you will not go back to any other, in my estimation.

Totally agree with your husband about TSC! LOL

Buck

I am going to look into getting/making her abigger cage. Hubby built houses for over 13 years, so itshouldn't be to hard for him to build her a bigger cage! Theonly thing that limits us really is the money..

lol on the photo.. I have never uploaded a photo to my computerbefore.. I can give it a shot but would not know where to start.. he he

I was looking around the net trying to figure out what type of bunnyshe is exactly, I ran into a photo of a bun that looks almost exactlylike her but the markings on her face is a bit different (hermouth/chin is all black) and the rest of themarkings ismostly light with a bit of dark gray mix..They don't have thebreed type for this lil girl, but she is almost identical to my baby..http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=1938

I also live in Indiana, Bo.. Indianapolis :D

We are going to check out Tractor Supply in the morning..What about pellets from there? The ones that I bought was from the samepet store that told me that I needed to use cedar bedding for her, andI would really rather not do business with them again..

Thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated! :D

OMG! I am just North of Indy! We'll have to get together! I'll pm you :)

That bunny is cute!

Tractor Supply has Purina Pellets. At least the ones up heredo. I know a lot of people use those. I like Oxbowhay, but as long as it's fresh, I think any Timothy hay is good.

Latest posts

Back