Juno eye woes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibribunbun

Reaction score
We've had a rocky week,

Went to Leicester to buy a tri mini rex buck and my aunt got a dalmatian mini rex buck.
Put my black mini rex to my aunt's buck and surprise... He had conjunctivitis and gave it to her!
Took my Juno up the vets and one super expensive check later, she's been having eye drops (one each eye, three daily).

She's two weeks pregnant and very very grumpy, but needs her meds.
Obviously, doesn't appreciate being messed with and I've been bit to peices. My poor arms, I'm smothered in bruises.

Her eye is on the mend thankfully and only one more day of being attacked by her XD as last dose is tomorrow.

One thing I'm concerned about is appetite. She's not eating her pellets at all (and this doe demolishes them usually). Vet surprisingly wasn't concerned when told and she is eating hay and greens (greens given sparingly).

How would I get her appetite back for pellets?

It depends on why she's not eating her pellets and how well she's eating the hay. If she's eating hay really well, at least a pile the size of her body twice a day, and the hay is good quality and not too coarse of a hay, then I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the lack of pellet eating for now, provided she's not also losing weight and feeling bony. But if she isn't eating hay really well and/or she doesn't start eating her pellets normally again, then something does need to be done. The cause of her lack of appetite needs to be investigated, as well as needing to start her on supplemental syringe feeds if needed, until she's back to eating normally again.

If your vet isn't a knowledgeable rabbit vet and you are needing one because she is continuing to have more problems than just needing eye drops, I would recommend checking this list for a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/recommended-rabbit-friendly-vets/

It depends on why she's not eating her pellets and how well she's eating the hay. If she's eating hay really well, at least a pile the size of her body twice a day, and the hay is good quality and not too coarse of a hay, then I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the lack of pellet eating for now, provided she's not also losing weight and feeling bony. But if she isn't eating hay really well and/or she doesn't start eating her pellets normally again, then something does need to be done. The cause of her lack of appetite needs to be investigated, as well as needing to start her on supplemental syringe feeds if needed, until she's back to eating normally again.

If your vet isn't a knowledgeable rabbit vet and you are needing one because she is continuing to have more problems than just needing eye drops, I would recommend checking this list for a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/recommended-rabbit-friendly-vets/
I do know that the conjunctivitis was causing her discomfort
She was loudly teeth grinding from it.

vet does know rabbits thankfully, he check her all over and that was the only issue.

her hay is nice quality but I want her eyes to heal fully before taking her back for investigation into eating.
she's not losing weight or feeling bony, still a chunky girl.

but if it doesn't improve after her eye does, straight up the vets.

Back