Jordi and Wesley's wellness exam

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordiwes

Reaction score
First off, I want to say, wow, what a difference a great vet makes! Dr. Canard was awesome.

They took a skin scraping of Jordi and it turns out she has mites. Thedoctor gave both bunnies medication that she squirted onto their skin(started with an "S", I have the name at home) and was absorbed. We aregoing back in one month for one more treatment.

Does that sound right?

Also, they both have the beginnings of sore feet. I didn't know that could happen on carpet. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!

My poor babies! You better send them right over to me!;)

Can you check the med name for me? I'm curious.Usually they give ivermectin, which would be a shot or orally.

Carpet can actually cause hock sores because it is abrasive.Do they have carpet in their cage? I forget what your set-uplooks like.

Here is there cage:

IMG_2057.jpg

Which is open and they have free run of their bedroom which is carpeted:

IMG_2568.jpg

Oh PS, here is the medication: selamectin

Thanks naturestee!

Selamectin = Revolution, a good choice fortopical treatment of fur mites, although it has occasionally been knownto cause severe skin irritation.

Sore hocks are sometimes caused by a fungal infection. Tryapplying a little white iodine or human foot fungal powder once a week.

In older rabbits, the cause may be a breakdown of connective tissue. "New skin" or bag balm ointment may help.

Pam

Poor baby! Where did she pick up mites? What did I miss?

Give her a nose pat fur us...

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Back