Johnnie's Cracked Nail Fiasco

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleysmom

Reaction score
I got Johnnie out of her cage last night while I was cleaning it and I noticed she's started shedding, so I brushed her out. As I was brushing her, I noticed she had one really long nail. Long story short, I went ahead and trimmed all the nails, I noticed blood afterwards, got the quik-stop, yada yada... Noticed the nail was broken all the way to the foot! The reason it looked so long was because it was sticking at an odd angle from being broken. It wasn't bleeding bad, so I trimmed it down to where it was broken at, a little at a time in case it started to bleed because I know they can bleed to death like that. I put quik stop on the toe to keep it from bleeding. I know I need to take her to the vet because she probably needs antibiotics, but do you think she can wait until Monday? I hate going to the vet on the weekends because they don't take appointments and you're in the waiting room with all the barking dogs and she gets so stressed out.

Unlikely she'll need a vet if you keep it clean and put a topical antibiotic on it. I like washing them with Betadine.

Guard against infection and she'll be fine. It happens all the time.

Pipp had a broken nail hanging off of the base at her toe and eventually it came right off -- and darn near took my eye out in the process. :biggrin2: She flicked it really hard and 'zing!!' It was like a bullet. :shock:

It isn't a good idea to give a systemic antibiotic (oral, injected, etc) for the little stuff. They rarely cause side effects, but they can. And you don't want them building up an immunity.

Is it bothering her at all?

sas :bunnydance:

Well, she screamed when I cut it off, so apparently the nerve endings were still intact, but other than that, I don't know that it's bothering her. The thing that concerns me is I've noticed a decrease in her appetite and drinking. She use to eat and drink like crazy, like the other rabbits, but now not so much. I checked her skin to see if she's dehydrated and she's not by that test, and I can't feel that she's loosing weight (ribs, etc.). I didn't know if the decrease is due to pain from the toe. I don't know how long it's been like that.

Yeah, sorry, you shouldn't really have cut it off. That would hurt. :( It will come off naturally when its ready.

It may have been bothering her, although they normally tolerate if fairly well. But however she broke the nail may have hurt the toe and foot.

Has she slowed down in terms of movement?

How old is she? How is her output? Is she pooping and peeing normally? Is she molting? Any change in how she eats? Is she favoring certain foods, or picking up and dropping food? Anything like that?

I'm not sure that the Vet will give you Metacam without taking her in, but that would be good for the toe. Failing that you can give her a little Baby Motrin or Ibuprofen as long as she takes it with food and water. No point in waiting until Monday if all she needs is pain meds.

How long has she been a little 'off'? I've been told you can't really use that hydration test on a rabbit, although I don't know why not or what other way there is to tell, that will take more research.

sas

Well it was completely bent in half, that's why I cut it. Otherwise I would've left it alone. She's moving around fine. Not eating or drinking as much, but output is good. I gave her 1/2 cup of pellets last night and they are gone this morning though, so maybe her eating is picking back up. She is shedding, but so are my other two rabbits. She's been "off" for about a week, but she was still active so I didn't think too much about it. I'll ask the vet about the hydration check. I have to take my rat in anyway.

You can give some ibuprofen to help with pain. It was a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing, I think. All the stuff I've read says no bunny has ever died from blood loss due to a cut nail. However, since she screamed, it must have been really painful. Ibuprofen should help (unless you have some metacam that's less than 6 mo old), but keep an eye out for more bleeding.

This is a drug dosage calculator for bunnies:http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Don't use aspirin--it will harm the ability to clot.

Well, I'm taking her to the vet when I take my dog. I put my dog out this afternoon and she was fine. Let her back in tonight and she can't walk. It never ends.... I know where my tax refund is going.

Took her to the vet. He said I did exactly what he would've done by cutting it off and putting quik stop on it. He agreed no antibiotics because I voiced my concern (and your concern) about her building up an immunity. He gave her an anti inflammatory injection. She's doing great.

The dog on the other hand... not so much.

Yeah, the Vets will usually cut it, its really best to not have it hanging so it can catch on something. Depending on on exactly how and where it was broken, I usually just wait for mine to chew or flick them off because I'm just too much of a chicken and I hate it when I hurt them.

I'll give them pain meds at home, though. The anti-inflammatory was probably Metacam, although it may have been another one if it was injected. Out of curiosity, does it say what it is on the bill? (Even Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller).

Its an optional Vet visit, but it's great that you took her in. You're an awesome bunny slave. :)

So sorry about your dog, though. How is she?

sas :expressionless

I'm not sure what it is. They don't have computers at that vet, so it just says injection. All I know was it was white and an anti inflammatory... Does depo medrol sound right? That may be what they gave my dog, but it was definitely mentioned.

My dog, Angel, still can't really walk. She has severe arthritis. She's fallen down the stairs twice this week. She isn't following me around like she always does. She's on three different types of medicine. It's sad watching them get old.

Ainsleysmom wrote:
I'm not sure what it is. They don't have computers at that vet, so it just says injection. All I know was it was white and an anti inflammatory... Does depo medrol sound right? That may be what they gave my dog, but it was definitely mentioned.

My dog, Angel, still can't really walk. She has severe arthritis. She's fallen down the stairs twice this week. She isn't following me around like she always does. She's on three different types of medicine. It's sad watching them get old.
Depo Medrol is an anti-inflammatory, yes, but its steroid (a type of Prednisone). ETA: It is for severe arthritis, I'm sure your dog got some. Metacam is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory (an NSAID).

Steroids aren't really recommended for rabbits, but some vets will use them. Its quite possible that's what the injection was for Johnnie, too. Don't worry, I'm sure one shot won't overtly hurt her, but it can lower their immunity to other things.

Is your vet a rabbit vet or a regular vet?

Edited for additions, corrections and types. (sheesh!)

sas :expressionless

Yes, they treat cats, dogs, rabbits, rodents, reptiles, birds and pot bellied pigs there.

Latest posts

Back