Ivory broke her teeth!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkies

Reaction score
Ivory was getting into some big trouble today, so I picked her up to put her in the cage. She was upset with me and jumped out of my arms, landed face first and her bottom teeth snapped.

I feel sooo horrible! I know that they will grow back, but what do I need to do? Watch for?

newpics.jpg

I'd definitely watch for infection, and I'd also reccomend taking her to a vet. I hope she feels better!

I've never had a bunny with a malclussion, but it looks like her teeth weren't right to begin with. Those top teeth need trimming.

Definitely time for a vet visit!

Hope all goes well. Poor bunny. :(

sas

They did it every month themselves. I was going to do it myself too. But the first time I did it, I was going to have the vet show me how.

I would make sure to keep it clean. There might be a little indent where the teeth was before, food or other bacteria might get lodged in there, cleaning it if you see anything collecting there would help.

Get well soon!

Ellie and the 15 Furkids :bunnydance:

Those top teeth do need to be trimmed ASAP. As already mentioned, watch for a pocket of infection forming along the gum. Food can also get wedged in there and cause infection. The tooth may grow back crooked, so you'll need to keep an eye on it.

Pam

Her teeth were already crooked, they were just as long as the top. We are going to see Dr. Rasnic this morning.

Since the teeth arent usable, would it be better for her to have them pulled? Save her the trauma of having them trimmed every month. Dont shoot if that was a stupid question!

Rabbits have molars in the back of their mouth. It is not a stupid question. Rabbits only need their front teeth to nip things and make food smaller. I had a rabbit that had her teeth pulled because they were growing and were infected. We had no choice. She did fine.

I would consult with your vet about what would be more stressful for your rabbit.

Sharon

binkies wrote:
Her teeth were already crooked, they were just as long as the top. We are going to see Dr. Rasnic this morning.

Since the teeth arent usable, would it be better for her to have them pulled? Save her the trauma of having them trimmed every month. Dont shoot if that was a stupid question!

It's not uncommon to remove the incisors. She'll be able to eat fine and you won't have to worry about continual trimming.

Pam

We are home.

I asked them to pull those teeth and he didnt want to do it. SO he just trimmed them. He isnt an exocits vet, but he knows enough to earn my trust. Ivory's jaw is also broken. My poooor angel.

She seems to be feeling pretty ok. Walking around and licking on me.

:bunny5Thank you so much for listening and giving me words of encouragement.

I would definitely want some painkillers. I can't even imagine trying to syringe-feed a rabbit with a broken jaw, but you said she's eating so that's good. Poor baby :(

Please keep us posted :pray:

Ivory is doing sooooo well!! She is happy and acting all normal now. I am so proud of her for dealing with this the way she has.

She is even nicer to me than before. She licks my toes!

OH the poor baby,Ihope she makes a full recovery.

Jd,(myself) and dimitry send our prayers.:angel::headflick:

Latest posts

Back