IV fluid therapy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheenisowner

Reaction score
I finally booked cheenis spay for Feb 12th and the vet was suggesting to have the IV fluid therapy because she is a mature spay. I don't know too much about it so if anyone can give me a bit of direction in terms of whether or not it is necessary that would be great. She is charging me 75$ extra on top of the spay itself which I mean is fine because at the end of the day if it makes it easier for Cheeni then there is no price that is too much for her.

Some input would be great.

Thanks all!

I was thinking more like 4+ years. But of course if you didn't agree & something went wrong, you'd assume it was because of your decision.

Tippy got a fluid IV the day after because she was refusing to drink. It may help her start eating/drinking again after. Some buns eat right away, but Tippy wouldn't touch food or drink, so I brought her back in the next day and they gave her a fluid IV. Made her start eating right away.

She doesn't sound all that old to me, assuming she's in good health, but I'd like every animal to at least have an IV catheter in for surgery. You should ask your vet what the risks of no fluids and benefits of the fluid therapy are and use that to make your decision. Your vet should always be willing and able to justify their recommendations.

Yeah...according to the vet she is a mature spay and that the vessels tend to get larger and the IV helps them to heal quicker as it is administered before the surgery starts and continues throughout. I guess I am leaning more towards getting it for that reason as well...if something were to go wrong I'd feel terrible and would think I didnt do enough for her :( God forbid anything goes wrong...she is a strong bun so I'm sure she will come out completely okay.

That is not old at all, but whatever. Our Frida was a stray so we're not really sure how old she is, but she was spayed around at least 3 yrs old. She's a nethie and the vet has trouble getting blood from her for annual bloodwork (tiny veins), plus the shelter I know doesn't use IV fluids for spays except in very extreme cases, so I'm positive she didn't get them. Sub-Q fluids are much more commonly used, but usually only if the animal isn't eating/drinking after surgery or the surgery was especially difficult (otherwise in poor health, longer surgery, body temperature drop, excess bleeding, etc).

I'd get the IV fluids anyway like Christina said so that they have IV access before starting the surgery. It makes it easier for them to administer drugs, especially if they have to give "rescue" drugs in case something goes wrong with anesthesia.

Latest posts

Back