It's so hard when our pets are sick...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
I had thought Madeline was doing better. I really did. But now I'm just as concerned as last night and I know I'm overreacting. I know I am. But it's really hard because you just never really know.

The vomiting stopped last night and she did eat her "breakfast" this morning. Well, she ate about as much as she usually does - she picks out the good stuff and leaves the rest - but that's just Maddie. She was also fairly active and was interested in what was going on around her. She wasn't 100% and I knew that, but I thought we were in the clear. And when I talked to the vet she was in agreement with me. So what's going on now?!

Maddie is just kind of lethargic. She makes eye contact and will respond to words and touch, but she's not running around like her normally active self. A couple of times she's run to the other dogs and barked at them or gone upstairs to see my mom, but she's been quiet otherwise. I can say somekey words and she'll look at me, but she doesn't do much more than that for the most part. Her gums are still pink and her stomach is not hard or bloated though it is gurgling quite a bit. I know she's hungry since she didn't eat her "dinner" but that in and of itself isn't that out of the ordinary - she tends to pick at food as she's never been a huge eater. She's also trembling quite a bit. I used to freak when I saw this, but after countless calls to the vet and visits to the emergency vet I'm fairly certain it is just her reaction to generally feeling unwell. I just wish there was something I could do for her.

She didn't want her evening cookie and she didn't care for her "brush her teeths" (a tartar control cookie), but when I offered her a very small piece of turkey she did take it and eat it. I guess that's good. Right now she's sleeping in the blanket near me on the couch. She seems comfortable, but I just worry about her so much. You have no idea (well, you guys here probably do) how much she means to me. She's everything and more to me. And I wish I knew what was wrong with her so I could make it right. But she can't tell me, the vet doesn't think it warrants a trip to the emergency vet, the emergency vet thinks she just has a "bug", and I'm left worrying and trembling now as much as she is!

It's so hard when our pets are sick. I hate it so much. I know this is a lot of what I've said last night, but I just needed to vent some and get it out. I'm exhausted but feel obligated to stay up and stare at her even though she's asleep and would be with me in my bed anyhow. And that's not to mention that my stomach is gurgling because I've not eaten due to being so worried about her!

Any additional prayers would be most welcome. And I'll say a general prayer (as I do every night) for all of you. Thanks for being here.

Madeline has taken a turn for the worse. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Please...

We have an appointment with the vet at 1:30pm today. That was the soonest we could get her in. The vet definitely wanted to see her in light of what is going on. Maddie has a temperature now and she has refused all food and fluids. I syringed her some water with Gatorade (2 parts water, 1 part Gatorade) and she took it, but she's just not doing well at all. I made her some chicken (her favorite food ever) and she wouldn't touch it. She's breathing kind of shallowly and quickly - and I'm not breathing at all.

She's not even 3 years old. How could this be happening?! The vet thinks it may still be a reaction to the distemper vaccine she got on Tuesday. I don't know, but this does seem somewhat reminiscent of when she got sick following her puppy series of vaccines. I have her on my lap wrapped up in a blanket. She seems comfortable, but I just know she's not feeling well. My poor, poor baby.

I'm barely hanging on at the moment. This dog is my best friend in the entire world. She can't go anywhere - she just can't. I know she'll be okay. She's Maddie and Maddie is one tough cookie. And so am I. Together we can do anything.

Thank you all so much...

We just got back from the vets about a half hour ago. I feel so much better now that she's been seen and since we have a better idea of what's going on with her and how to help her get through it.

Madeline definitely had quite the fever at the vet's office - it was 103.7. And while that's certainly not a good thing, it does explain away a lot of her symptoms. The shallow breathing and the trembling is explained by the fever as is her lethargy. Her lack of appetiteis also explained by the fever.But we still don't know why she's feeling so poorly and that's what has me so concerned.

The vet examined her and her lungs and heart sounded good. Like I said, she did have a fever, but her gums were a lot pinker by the time we got to the vet's office. The vet doesn't think she's dehydrated since her mucous membranes in her eyes and mouth were still pretty moist, but we need to keep an eye on her with it. And she's not worried about the fact that she's not eating since she probably is just feeling terrible. And who wants to eat when they feel sick? She didn't feel any masses and it was nice to see Madeline actually perk up some at the office. She's lost some weight since Tuesday but not enough to be extremely concerned - it's just something else we'll need to watch. The vet took blood for labs, but we opted out of the leptospirosis (spelling?) titer since it was extremely expensive. Instead the vet prescribed amoxicillin and that should help kick out any kind of infection that shouldn't be there. If it doesn't improve and we want the lepto titer done the lab can work with the blood sample we already got from her. It cost me an arm and a leg this week in animal vet fees, but what can you do? I'm just glad I wasn't told that she wouldn't make it or something - there was tons of craziness going through my head on the way there. Thank God Maddie is going to be okay.

When we got home we were going to try to get Madeline to take her pill wrapped in some turkey and surprisingly she ate it right up - pill and all. So that was good. I thought since she went for that she might go for some chicken and she managed to eat almost all of what I had cooked up for her. And I had put quite a bit of water in with it to make a "broth" and so she got some fluids in that way as well. She's now resting comfortably on my lap all wrapped up in a blanket. I've been so, so worried about her that it feels good to just hold her and let her know I love her.

Continued prayers would be welcomed. She's not out of the woods yet, but she's at least back on the right path. Thanks again to everyone.

I'm glad to hear that Maddie is feeling better...and will continue with prayers and good wishes that this turns out to be nothing more than an unexplained fever. Poor little girl has been through a lot the last little while...here's hoping she continues to improve and get back to her old happy self!

:hearts:hearts:hearts

Latest posts

Back