It sounds like a rough year for the hay crop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
I just got this hay update from Kleenmama's. I think I am going to order another 45 pounds of the 2nd cut right now even though I don't need it. I have an almost full box right now and another 45 pounds should last me until next season.

As most of you may know, this has been a really hard year for hay farmers in the Northwest. We had a really wet, late spring/early summer, and a lot of 1st cutting hay crops were lost to rain.
Those farmers who didn’t lose their crops were forced to cut extremely late. This made 2nd cutting later than normal and 3rd cutting even later.
When 3rd cutting comes so late, you have a higher percentage of lost crops due to either rain, slower dry times because of shorter, cooler days, and more brown leaf due to dew and frost.

This has been the case this year. Therefore, I feel I have been extremely lucky in locating any 3rd cut timothy hay this year.
However, for all of my repeat customers, I need you all to understand that last year was an exceptionally gorgeous crop. On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best, last years’ 3rd cut timothy was a 10. This year, I give it a 7, for two reason.
First, it does have some brown leaf in it. It always does, but after last year with NO brown, it is going to look very obvious this year :)

In the coming days, I will take pictures and post on the site so you can see for yourselves. I haven’t updated the hay page in years so it is the perfect opportunity.

Secondly, it is short! In order to even bring a crop in, it was cut at about 6 inches. So there will be very little of the hay that has really long, ribbony strands.

I need you all to understand this, because I will not be offering refunds or replacements for 3rd timothy hay that has brown leaf or is short. It is the best possible hay I could get after weeks of searching. It is nice hay. I wouldn’t have gotten it if it were not.

I will be opening up the site to pre-sales on Monday, and I expect to get the hay sometime by mid week. Please be patient with us, hundreds of people have been waiting for this hay and there is only so many orders we can ship out in a day.

Also, and I need you all to know this: If the hay is not as good as it looks in the bale, I will not be getting more of it. I have been guaranteed about 30 tons of it. To give you some sense of that, we went through more than 60 tons this past season. So even if I love it, and get it all, it will not last. If I can’t manage it once I get the first 7 tons, I will probably not get more of it. If it is too short to stay compressed, there are huge overages in shipping dimensional weight that I will not pay.

Now on to the 2nd cut timothy. It is a perfect 10 this year! All green ,gorgeous, some small stems and seed heads, but for those of you looking for 2nd cut timothy hay, you will not find better.

As to the bluegrass, it was the worst year for bluegrass since I started this business 8 years ago. The first batch I got I was not happy with most of it. I sold about 2 tons of the best of it and then donated the rest to a rescue here. I found some nicer bluegrass, but it has a teeny bit of alfalfa in it. Some bales have none. Some bales have less than 3%. But I need you all to know that it is in extremely limited supply this year and the 7 tons that I currently have may be all that I can get. Last year we went through 27 tons.
I will not be offering refunds or replacement boxes because of the small amount of alfalfa that may be in the hay. Alfalfa will not hurt your pets, and if you are worried about stones or sludge, calcium or protein levels, the alfalfa is super easy to spot and you can pick it out. It will be the hard pokey stem part :) Most of you will never get any in your orders.

So there you have it! Not very good news at all here, but I feel blessed to have gotten what I did and I know I have the best, most loyal customers on the planet. You know I will work as hard as ever to bring you top quality products.

Thanks for the info. Oddly enough, mine love the brown hay and often won't touch the green strands. We have so much hay go to waste, maybe this 3rd cut will work out for my boys :)

My rabbits are also spoiled on Kleenmama's hay. I ordered some bluegrass and 2nd cut timothy right before the email you posted went out. After I read the email, I was alittle worried because my buns are picky. I got the hay today and it looks great. My buns both started eating the hay right away tonight when I filled their hay bins. I have never ordered bluegrass before so I can't compare it to previous years but so far the buns approve. The timothy hay looks just as good as the last batch I ordered.

I had gotten some bluegrass last year and it was some of the most beautiful hay I've ever seen. My order for 2nd cut was shipped yesterday. I can't wait to get it!

I got the orchard grass I ordered a few weeks ago but I've been afraid to open it because of all the disclaimers! I still have a little 3rd cut left and I want to finish it off. I do like that my buns eat longer pieces of hay so I probably won't order the 3rd cut since it was harvested to short. Boo :(

Oxbow's timothy hay has been very good for at least a year now. I get the 50 lb boxes and go through 2 50 lb boxes in several months ( YES my rabbits gain weight on hay !!)

Kleenmama has extremely nice hay as I have ordered that also but wanted to let you know that Oxbow timothy has been green and long stranded and very nice.

We go through a 45# box of KMS a week. Everybun in sanctuary gets more hay than anything else. 2 T. pellets probably, and a large handful of salad greens. Basically a lot of tasty and good-smellin' hay. The sanctuary group has no complaints with Kleenmama's. Disabled girls do better with the 3rd cut texture and I'll order more when the existing box is gone. Hoping the brown strands won't offend.

Angieluv, has Oxbow been running dry or chaffy?

Amy27, glad to hear your buns are pleased with the new 2nd cut shipment. Have a box that came in on Tuesday, and I'll open that soon.

Gotta love Linda at KMS for the great dedication she has to all her customers.

Our sanctuary gang is less pleased with the 2nd cut. Spoiled with third cut I guess. :?

The softer hay is nicer on my dry hands, though the stiffer 2nd cut would give incisors a better chomp-er-cise.

Read this as: bunnies can get spoiled and fussy. sheesh.

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Our sanctuary gang is less pleased with the 2nd cut. Spoiled with third cut I guess. :?

The softer hay is nicer on my dry hands, though the stiffer 2nd cut would give incisors a better chomp-er-cise.

Read this as: bunnies can get spoiled and fussy. sheesh.
Hah....bunnies are such hay connoisseurs! Us slaves go to such great lengths to please them.

It was a hard time in the NW?
Perhaps I'm out of the loop, but the feed stores around here don't seem to have any problem keeping orchard, timothy, nor alfalfa in stock? Each bale I've bought has been extremely nice in quality, and relatively fresh.

Odd...?

I picked up two bales of freshly cut orchard/broome grass last week. These came from a local farmer. Actually he was just mowing and baling that day. My car still smells like fresh mowed grass.

Us slaves go to such great lengths to please them.
It rained the day before I went to pick up some bales. The farmers field was so muddy, and the mud would stick to your shoes. The hay was nice and dry though. :)

some fed stores get it from a local source where they produce a lot less. i know our guy is a local farmer and he had it rough so prices went up a bit on how much we spend on the hay. havnt noticed a difference in it though. but its only brome.

not sure where oxbow gets their hay??

Back