It all started on my birthday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMummy

Reaction score
Let me tell you a story. Boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, get posted to Germany and get married........................the end?

Not quite.

On girls birthday (after both deciding NOT to have children for a fair few years) boy comes home with two additions to our brand new family.

We had been married for a month exactly and it was my birthday, we had my dad, his wife and my half sister staying with us (as well as thier unstable, but adorable border collie). It was a little hectic, but still I was relishing in the bustle of a full house.

My husband being the ever prepared, please note the sarcasm in my tone there, bought home two critters as a joint birthday/ valentines day present.

He walked through the door, after making sure that said unstable dog was well out of sight, sniff and earshot, carrying two boxes with holes in. I squealed in excitement, no doubt adding to the mutt's curiosity.

The minute they poked their cute, tiny little noses out of their individual pet store boxes I was smitten.

Tentatively they sniffed around, hopped a little and decided that we wanted to eat them, so soon found little corners to hide away from these big scary creatures gawping at them, but alas I was not to spend my first evening with my new charges, as we had dinner reservations and were due to leave soon.

We picked them up and placed them in our bedroom with pellets and a water bottle taped to the side of a box. I checked and double checked right up until we really, really had to leave that they were okay.

" Do you think the room temperature is right?"
" Do you think they'll be lonely?"
"Are you SURE the dog can't open doors?"

All evening I could not wait to get back to my little babies, wondering how they were coping and how confused or scared they must be.
But lets not get too soppy, after all a girl has to eat, so I enjoyed my birthday meal, and the company and we made our way home with full and satisfied bellies.

My husband and I made sure our guests had a drink and were comfortable, then we made our way upstairs to check everything was okay.

OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWDDDD!

There was poop EVERYWHERE, under the radiator, the bed, and a huge pile of poops right in front of the vanity unit. I tell you I was still finding it weeks later. there was more pooo than rabbit.

They of course sat there startled at us, AT US! I laughed! my husband groaned and we both started clearing up rabbit droppings.

That night they stayed in a large cardborad box next to our bed (on my insistence) and we didn't get a wink of sleep !!! Me through excitement, and my husband through the eternal noise from within the box. I kept my hand in the box hoping that my presence was reassuring, I'm sure now that it wasn't!

The next morning we groggily woke and I looked down at my new buns with the same love and awe. My husband next to me sleepily asked if I wanted to put them on the bed with us. Without a seconds hesitation I picked up one then the other so they could hop around and get used to us.

This I did with insurmountable excitement at the prospect of a lovely fluffy family, and there we were all cute and everything...........................................

.........untill...................

Bambam peed on my hubby.

TBC

Wonderful story! I've had many bunnies pee on me and my partner. Doesn't stop me from cuddling with them again, you just learn to read their body language to tell when they have to pee.

I would love to see some pictures of your little babies.

Have you thought about what type of cage/pen you are going to house them in? You should check into some NIC cages (build it your self type thing). Check out this thread: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

Other people will use dog crates or puppy pens. Lots of different options.

--Dawn

Pictures!!!!!!!!! :D

LOL @ peeing on the hubby! Gotta love bunnies. Bambam decided Hubby needed claimed!

Ha ha ha, yes you ask a very relevant question with regards to housing, and that is a topic which requires another story!

(Also I haven't figured out how to put up pics yet, so any help would be appreciated =D)

Anyway, the next day I am left alone with buns. My husband's line of work requires him to travel and stay from home a fair bit, so after cleaning him up and kissing him googdbye, then seeing the family off on their journey to Ireland for the circus season (long story, don't ask) I was left alone with my babies.

If any of you have seen the flintstones, you will be familiar with the names we chose. It is about the hapless Fred Flintstione and his long suffering yet still a wee bit sexy wife Wilma. they have a sweet, adorable, quiet chiled called Pebbles.

The next door neighbours Barney and Betty Rubble are childless untill one day they happen upon the Orphan they come to name Bambam. This child, although he doesn't say much he makes an almighty ruckus with his wooden bat, thumping it on whatever or whoever looks to be wanting to harm his sweet little Pebbles.

We had decided on their names the night before, they seemed apt as Pebbles was in fact a kind of pebble coloured. White with dapples of brown, she seemed to have the same characteristics of her namsake, she was cute, quiet, but you could tell she had the propensity to get into mischief.

Bambam was as much like Bambam in that you could tell she was the boisterous one. Ruling the roost despite her tiny fluffy exterior.

Now! what do you do with two little fluff balls, when you know NOTHING about fluff balls?

INTERNET research!! a subsequent 3 hours researching had left me terrified that I was going to sneeze and kill my bunnies. There was so much information, most of it pertaining to how fragile and easily deaded bunnies are. Crumbs!

My first mission, I concured, was to determine the sex! So ever so gently I picked each bunny up in turn and determined that both in fact were female!

Chuffed to pieces with my new found bunny expert status, I happily constructed an email to my hubby telling him of my discovery.

Anyway I digress, after sexing both the bunnies, we had decided that we were going to keep them indoors and build them a two storey cage in the kitchen (where the dishwasher was supposed to go) so they could sleep there and have the run of the kitchen and hall.

This is a good theory except for the fact that while my husband is an incredibly talented and intelligent man, he is more a help you to write a report on politics or economics type than he is build you something from scratch type! Think of it terms of being more Big than Aiden! (for the girlies)

So for a week we had chicken wire and wood cluttering the kitchen whilst we battled with designs and layouts for the mansion. I opted for practicality, after all I would be the one to crawl in and clean the **** thing, whereas my husband in his wisdom wanted oppulence for the buns! I think he spent too much time looking in the pet store at the £150 pens thinking "how hard can it be?"

So in the meantime they were housed in cardboard boxes with hay and straw.

As I said my husband was away and I can never sleep properly when he is gone so I decided one night to set up camp with my bunnies. I put two quilts on the floor in the living room and settled down for the night. The were sniffing around no doubt wondering why i had decided to come lie with them shrouded in 13.5 tog, but they took it as they pretty much do when my I am lying on the floor with them, a perfunctionary sniff and hop off to continue destroying whatever part of the house amused them most.

And there I slept, vaguely aware that during the night they had mad 15 mins and were using me as a climbing frame, this was wonderful, until the next morning I woke up to survey the carnage before me..................................

.................I was lying in a sea of poop!

To top it off I looked around for the buns, only the sight that I saw before me made me shreak in horror!

Pebbles was boinking Bambams HEAD!!!!

Latest posts

Back