Issues.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalifornianKit

Reaction score
I was intending to breed my doe today but when i checked the color of her vent i noticed it has these swollen lumps that shouldnt be there. Does anyone have any idea what these are and how to treat them or any information whatsoever?

dm45rt.jpg

nbcges.jpg

23ve0yd.jpg

It looks a lot like she got bitten, and there might be some swelling on the actual genital area. I would clean it up with some betadine and put triple antibiotic ointment on it daily. Another possibility is rabbit syphilis but the wound on the left side on the picture doesn't look like syphilis, it looks more like a bite.

a lil more information on her...

She has never been bred before but she is in the cage beside my buck.

And she seems irregular. She hasnt been going to the bathroom well but she hasnt been acting any differently

Well it looks very painful. I would do the daily cleaning and antibiotic ointment thing and see if that clears it up. Bunnies can mate through cage bars, so they can definitely bite each other through cage bars. Is she housed with another doe?

No she isnt. She is in a double cage with a buck in the cage beside her. all my other does are in cages that are at least a few feet away from her.

I can't see the pics clearly but I think urinary tract infections can also present like that. Do you have access to good Vet care where you are? PenG shots and plenty of fluids are probably your best bet either way (syphilis, a bite or UTI). If it doesn't look better very quickly, though, no way around a Vet visit.

A little cranberry juice in a crock of water might help as well.

How old is she?

sas :clover:

She is 6 months old. We have NO vets around here with experience with bunnies. The closest would be 2 hours away and being in highschool there is no way i could get to one. I hate that.

Vent disease/syphilis is contagious to the kits. Injectable PenG should be available at the feed stores there, hopefully the other Mods can walk you through the availability and dosages. (Claire? Peg??)

sas :clover:

Yeah, you can get Pen G at feed stores. You'd want to get the kind that is a combination of penicillin G procaine and penicillin G benzathine, often called Bicillin or Duo-Pen. I think the dosage is 150k units per 5lb bunny every other day for a week or two.

That's ok. The better thing would be a combination of Penicillin G procaine and penicillin G benzathine. The penicillin G benzathine in that drug is long-acting, which is why you only have to give it every other day. I think the procaine one should be given daily. You will want to dilute it 1:1 with saline for injection or distilled water.

Not sure how that would be possible.

Here's what you should do--draw enough of the drug into the syringe so that you give the right dose--ie if it is 300k units/ml, draw up 0.5mL. Then draw up an additional equal volume of saline or distilled water into the syringe. Shake the syringe around, and then administer it.

Latest posts

Back