ISP address

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Might be a bit of a stupid question,but--if I'm right, ISP is Internet Service Provider....anyway, why isit significant if two members have the same ISP address? What exactlydoes an "ISP address" mean? And how do you know the address?

Just curious....and only semi-computer-literate....

Rose

ISP is the individual address type of thing thateach individual computer has. It's a number that Carolyn, as themoderator, can see and use to determine if people are posting from thesame computer of same internet link (the ISP addresses of people withDSL is the same except for the last few numbers of the code if they areall hooked up to the same DSL modem). Each computer (or internetconnection) has an ISP address and no 2 are a like unless they are thesame computer.

Hope that made any sense!

Internet Service Providers assign a group ofnumbers to each person's computer line. It is a means of identificationfor the internet. Meaning that if they are the exact same, itis the same computer line... the same house.

However, Compuserve and AOL assign a group of numbers to a group ofpeople. Banning one number could infact ban a group ofpeople. I'm not exactly sure how you can prevent thatscenerio, but it can be done.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
ISP is the individual address type of thing that eachindividual computer has. It's a number that Carolyn, as the moderator,can see and use to determine if people are posting from the samecomputer of same internet link (the ISP addresses of people with DSL isthe same except for the last few numbers of the code if they are allhooked up to the same DSL modem). Each computer (or internetconnection) has an ISP address and no 2 are a like unless they are thesame computer.

Oh, that makes sense! Thanks! I'm on DSL and we have 4 computers hookedup to the modem, so--for example--our ISP addys would be the sameexcept for the last few numbers?

Which brings another question: How do you change an ISP address? If it's part of the computer, isn't it permanent?

Or is that classified information in case people start trying to do it?:p

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
MyBunnyBoys wrote:
ISP is theindividual address type of thing that each individual computer has.It's a number that Carolyn, as the moderator, can see and use todetermine if people are posting from the same computer of same internetlink (the ISP addresses of people with DSL is the same except for thelast few numbers of the code if they are all hooked up to the same DSLmodem). Each computer (or internet connection) has an ISP address andno 2 are a like unless they are the same computer.

Oh, that makes sense! Thanks! I'm on DSL and we have 4 computers hookedup to the modem, so--for example--our ISP addys would be the sameexcept for the last few numbers?

Which brings another question: How do you change an ISP address? If it's part of the computer, isn't it permanent?

Or is that classified information in case people start trying to do it?:p

Rose
Unless they have seperate lines each, no, they would be the same.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
However, Compuserve and AOL assign a group of numbers to a group ofpeople. Banning one number could infact ban a group ofpeople. I'm not exactly sure how you can prevent thatscenerio, but it can be done.

Interesting. So theoretically people with the same ISP address might be legit after all?

Rose

Only on Compuserve and AOL (which AOL owns Compuserve LOL)

I only found out about this when working as a moderator in a chatseveral years ago, and then I was banned from a message board at onetime I had never been to. Speaking with a couple of computersavvy individuals they explained this part.

Now, if I had a computer on DSL in my house, and one on a seperate lineto another room (two actual accounts and cable lines) THEN it wouldhave two addresses.

Businesses are different. I think they have a same numberwith a different end number or something... I never paid much attentionto that part.

Hi Rose,

Yes, the ISP is the Internet Service Provider.? It's the address thatyour computer is identified from.? With a cable or DSL modem, theirdefault is for a single computer. In order to have many computers sharethat connection you need to purchase a firewall/router, which allowsyou to have more computers sharing the same ISP connection.?

"Why is it significant if two members have the same ISPaddress?" When people pretend not to know each other, but their ISPaddress and email addresses are exactly the same, I consider thattrolling and playing head games with our members.? As to the "twins",there were a lot of things that contradicted themselves as well asother things that came up that I would rather not discuss publicly,although most of our members are already aware of them.? I didn't banthem, but I do watch them.? In many cases, people that play such gamesare somewhat addicted to causing upset and chaos and they can be verypersistent; it's how they enjoy themselves. (Their profiles tend to belost souls.)

As to how I can identify them, whenever someone signs up to use thisforum, the registration tracks and records their ISP and I can tap intoit whenever I wish.? Without this information, you cannot become aregistered member of this forum.? We do that to ensure that we havecontrol over those that don't follow the forum rules.?

-Carolyn

?

rabbitgirl wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

Interesting. So theoretically people with the same ISP address might be legit after all?

Rose

Yes, they can. We have a few that are like that.

See my 2nd paragraph above as to why I question some.

-Carolyn

I should also clarify that as AOL comes in, theybatch some of their users with the same ISP address,howeverafter a day or two, the batch number goes away andtheir individual ISP appears. The batch only stays in forabout 48 hours,and I'm aware of that issue and do wait forthe time to pass.

-Carolyn

Everyone explained it a lot better than I did!

I have a DSL modem and we have 2 computers and my dad's work laptophooked up to it. If I were to go on my mom's computer, the ISP addresswould be essentially the same except for the last 2 digits I think.

You're right about the last two digits changing, Laura, but you'rewrong that everyone explained it better than you did. If memory servesme, Rose responded to you saying that your description made sense.

Thanks, everyone, for helping to explain it.

:)

Hey Rose?

When are you going to increase Bub's avatar size? I want to see him as close-up as I can. I love that picture of him.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Ishould also clarify that as AOL comes in, they batch some of theirusers with the same ISP address, howeverafter a day or two,the batch number goes away and their individual ISP appears.The batch only stays in for about 48 hours,and I'm aware ofthat issue and do wait for the time to pass.

-Carolyn
I didn't know that! I wonder if that's changed in the past couple of years?

It hasn't changed yet, Bo, and that's why you were banned from thoseforums. The moderator didn't realize that those systems went out inbatches and thought it was someone playing around. It does correctitself after 48 hours.

I made that mistake once, and I'll never do it again.

I wish I could get into it more on how it works and the whole ISPissue, but I can't because it's a public board. Although 97% of us aresincere, there's that 3% we always have to watch out for.

-Carolyn

*putting mysunglasses on and playing James Bond music*:cool: This technical stuff is so cool!

That's how the FBI guys catch you if youdo bad stuff on theinternet! Everything can be tracked!

A good example of some of the abovescenario's would be- Sebastian's Little Girl and I would have the sameISP address, and Jim D and I love Mah Buns...but Carolyn would haveexpected it from us. When doofus andgoofuspretended to greet each other for the first time inthat thread, but had the same ISP....well....that wasn't toobright!

Raspberry

People are responsible for what they say; that's what trolls forget. Rabbits Only holds them accountable.

Thank you to the members that have Private Messengered me when they saw a 'red flag'.

That helps a lot.

All For One and One for All. :dude:

-Carolyn

There may be, on the rare occasion, a legitimatereason for the same IP under different names -- those signing ontopopular forums from schools, libraries, etc. Therealso was one occasion where a friend of my daughter's happened to be amember of one of the same forums I was on and was using mycomputer. Both of our separate ID's would haveshown up with the same IPs.

Pam

Absolutely Pam! :)

You should see how many ISP addresses Buck Jones has.

:shock:

He's even signed in as Carolyn.

Every time you post, there's an address to track you to.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back